2002 Sentra 1.8, no spark, code 0505... - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 2002 Sentra 1.8, no spark, code 0505...

Hi,
This is my first post here. I have never had a problem with the car before (02 Sentra 1.8/auto), so I had no need to post for help! Car has ~130k kms. It sat for 3 days, and when I went to start it, it cranks but no spark. Lots of fuel so it is flooding. I used the self diagnostic feature to pull codes, but all that shows is 0505, which looks like it means nothing wrong. Car ran perfectly up to now. I pulled and tested all the plugs, and they are good. There is ZERO spark to any of the cylinders. ECM and Crank sensor were both replaced under recall, but not recently. Any idea of what else to check? What would kill spark but not fuel, and only show a code 0505? I am stumped! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

(Thread Starter)
OK, looking at the wrong list.... 0505 could mean Idle control circuit? Will this cause a no spark condition, and what exactly fails to trigger this?
post #3 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Black B15

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You got power to everything else? Headlights, radio etc....?

Check all your fuses just to be sure, there are some under the dash and some under the hood as well.

So it showed you a code of "0505"? What does that mean, it blinked 10 times, 5 times, 10 times and 5 times? I assume you put it into diagnostic mode by following the instructions on this website.....just want to make sure you are following the blinks to the correct code.

2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition

post #4 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black B15
You got power to everything else? Headlights, radio etc....?

Check all your fuses just to be sure, there are some under the dash and some under the hood as well.

So it showed you a code of "0505"? What does that mean, it blinked 10 times, 5 times, 10 times and 5 times? I assume you put it into diagnostic mode by following the instructions on this website.....just want to make sure you are following the blinks to the correct code.
Everything else seems to have power, although I did not check headlights, or fuses. I retrieved the codes through the instructions in the forum here. I also have downloaded the FSM. The code blinked 10 slow, 5 fast, 10 fast and five fast, then repeated (0505, idle control circuit). I am not familiar with the Nissan ECM, so I don't know what might trip this code and cause a no spark condition. I was expecting a 335 or 340. If a crank or cam sensor failed while sitting, would a fault be triggered during cranking? I am wondering if the 0505 is related to the no spark at all. Will a fault 335 or 340 interrupt spark yet still cycle injectors normally? Thanks again!
post #5 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

(Thread Starter)
I tried cranking the car with both the cam and crank sensors unplugged, and then checked the codes, and none were recorded (other than the original p0505). Based on this information, the ECM does not record faults from these sensors during cranking. This is assuming that the ECM itself is not at fault. This might be useful info for others trying to diagnose a problem that didn't develop while the car was running?
post #6 of 24 Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

(Thread Starter)
Anyone? Garage had the car for several days and say they can't find what is wrong. He did say he was getting a signal from crank sensor. help!
post #7 of 24 Old 11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
orangelloSE-R
geezinondowntheroad

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can you see if the coilpacks are getting spark & work back from there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
I was just thinking....I've owned Nissan products built in each of the last 4 decades (70's -- 00's.) That is pretty cool. I honestly don't know why I have owned so many Nissan products. They are like herpes....they keep popping up in your life.
2002 SE-R 5 speed
post #8 of 24 Old 11-13-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangelloSE-R
Can you see if the coilpacks are getting spark & work back from there?
The coil packs aren't producing spark, haven't confirmed they are getting signal.
post #9 of 24 Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

(Thread Starter)
They do not appear to be getting a signal to fire. I am starting to suspect the ECM. It still "works" in that it will flash codes and light the MIL though.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-14-2008, 11:08 AM
orangelloSE-R
geezinondowntheroad

Ouch, ECM = $$$. Do you know anybody with the same year & engine & tranny that would let you swap for a field test?

Quote:
I was just thinking....I've owned Nissan products built in each of the last 4 decades (70's -- 00's.) That is pretty cool. I honestly don't know why I have owned so many Nissan products. They are like herpes....they keep popping up in your life.
2002 SE-R 5 speed
post #11 of 24 Old 11-15-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

(Thread Starter)
New (used) ECM will be here Monday. I disconnected the ECM overnight and it still is showing a code 0505, even before cranking engine. Will the ECM hold a code that long while disconnected? I tried to clear codes by holding accelerator in code retrieval mode, but it wouldn't go away. Coil packs are NOT receiving voltage when key is on. I am going to try and see where the voltage is supposed to come from and start tracing backwards.
post #12 of 24 Old 11-15-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

(Thread Starter)
OK, I followed all the troubleshooting procedures in the FSM, and I have found that I have about 3 volts going into my ECM relay. FSM says

"detect malfunctioning part"
Check the following.
Fuse and fusible link box connector E22
15A fuse
Harness for open and short between ECM relay and fuse

I have searched the FSM, and can't determine where these items are (fuse and fusible link). I can't believe I made it this far and am stumped!
post #13 of 24 Old 11-15-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

(Thread Starter)
Duh, ok I see what the fusible links are. No problems there. I am used to fusible links being wires. I just need to find out where that one wire to the ECM relay goes and see why there is no voltage there....
post #14 of 24 Old 11-17-2008, 02:23 PM
orangelloSE-R
geezinondowntheroad

Good luck man; i can't get my FSM to work, ATM.

Quote:
2002 SE-R 5 speed
post #15 of 24 Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

(Thread Starter)
I managed to locate the problem. The wire running from the fuse block by the battery to the ECM relay is faulty. Once I bypassed the wire, the car ran fine. The wire would show voltage until the key turned on, then dropped to zero, indicating a bad connection somewhere. It seems unlikely I will find out where in the harness, so I have to run a new one. Given how the car is wired, I can't say I am surprised at this problem, but I am disappointed. Thanks to all those who responded, and I was very happy to find this site, it was a great resource.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: