Pulled over twice in 20 minutes for tail lights too dark. - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

post #1 of 22 Old 05-04-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Black B15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pulled over twice in 20 minutes for tail lights too dark.

I was driving my wife to work this morning and just pulled onto the I-10 on ramp when I see cherries behind me. CRAP....I pull over and wait. State Trooper/DPS Agent walks up and tells me my tails are too dark. I mention to him that I have had it that way for almost 5 years now and I also have the extra bright bulbs in there as well. He stated that he could not see my tails from 500 feet.

He asks for DL, registration and proof of insurance. I hand him my drivers license and reply "sir I have a concealed weapon in the glove compartment". He reaches in and pulls out my heater and sets it on the roof of my car. I hand him my reg and proof of insurance and he heads back to his vehicle to run me.

He comes back after approximately 5 minutes with a "fix it" ticket and my pistol (with the magazine removed). Through the entire stop he was extremely polite and professional...as far as interactions with police go this was one of the best. We actually sat there and laughed and joked about a few things before driving off. He was a pretty cool DPS agent.

SOOOOO I take off down I-10 and about 15 minutes later I see another State Trooper/DPS agent driving on I-10. As soon as I pass the officer , the DPS car swoops in behind my car. I took the off ramp to my wife's employer and ended up pulling into her work...I look up in the rear view mirror and the trooper is sitting right behind me blocking me in. GREAT.

This time a female DPS agent walks up stating "the reason I pulled you over is because your tail lights are too dark". I start laughing and hand her the "fix-it" ticket I just received. She looked it over and said I could go. I asked her "did you guys just have a meeting this morning about this or what?" She laughed and said there is a big issue in Phoenix with stolen vehicles and that these stolen vehicles are apparently blacking out their tails, reverse lights, 3rd brake lights, etc... Basically she stated that they are on alert for people with blacked out tails. Again, this officer was extremely polite and professional and very friendly.

Anyway, just a thought for the locals....you may want to be careful if you have or if you are going to black out your tails.....DPS is gonna getcha!

2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
cden1
Old Age Sux

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess you will be changing your tail lights! FYI, here in MA, a gun in the glove compartment will land you in jail for a year! In "The People's Republic of Massachusetts" the gun must be on your person (if you have a concealed permit, of course).
post #3 of 22 Old 05-04-2011, 11:35 AM
FastLane80

Why the hell would they black out tail lights? Not that criminals are the smartest breed of humans but I wonder what the purpose of that is. <sign> yet another thing I have to un-mod on Shannon's B15.

Formerly known as SSRSER
post #4 of 22 Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Black B15

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cden1 View Post
I guess you will be changing your tail lights! FYI, here in MA, a gun in the glove compartment will land you in jail for a year! In "The People's Republic of Massachusetts" the gun must be on your person (if you have a concealed permit, of course).
AZ recently passed a law that states if you are legally in possession of your firearm you may conceal it on your person/vehicle/etc.... The way the law is written is that upon a traffic stop you are required to inform the officer of the concealed weapon. Guy had no problems with my gun at all, but he did take the magazine out before he gave it back to me which is for his safety of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLane80 View Post
Why the hell would they black out tail lights? Not that criminals are the smartest breed of humans but I wonder what the purpose of that is. <sign> yet another thing I have to un-mod on Shannon's B15.
The female DPS agent (2nd officer) stated that they (the bad guys) will do that to evade police at night. Apparently by blacking out your tail lights you become totally invisible to police! lol.

Anyway. I went out and took a look at my tails and they are dirty as hell. I cleaned em off and I don't think it should be an issue. Now I just need someone to stand 500 ft away and tell me if they can see my brake lights!

post #5 of 22 Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM
chiquae07
Informed Lurker

Send a message via AIM to chiquae07
easier to hide from light because the darkening of the tails and other lights from the rear wont allow light to hit the reflectors in the housing. so if your driving a dark colored car, and its at night, and your moving rather quickly, you can move and not be seen in a sense.

Suck up a kitten
Eat a butterfly
Replace with WRX

2001 Granite Sentra Se wit PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by txspeccer View Post
Slow car races are exciting. For those 19 seconds until you hit 80 mph, nothing else matters.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-04-2011, 03:32 PM
swoosh30
Course Deviation Driving

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black B15 View Post
Now I just need someone to stand 500 ft away and tell me if they can see my brake lights!
Just go back on the 10

2000 SE PP-regret the trade and its missed everyday
2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8- Like it very much so more and more everyday
post #7 of 22 Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM
mirrortints
VVL is good

Garage
Who cares the reason...it's illegal.

2001 Sentra SE
post #8 of 22 Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Slackoff01
I dont care, really

gotta love AZ you can carry a gun without a permit but if you dare touch your tail lights....oh it Fin on.

Stupid *** DPS, glad they were civil at least I have yet to have a "positive" interaction with any DPS / highway / local cops. for some reason I have that yell at me I might be deak look about me.

and I though we had to be visible from 500ft in the dark, as opposed to broad daylight?

02 BugEyE Wagon - Dog mover
05 legacy GT wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by txspeccer View Post
Did you recently have a lobotomy or something? You used to be fun, but now....not so much.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-04-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Black B15

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh30 View Post
Just go back on the 10
That literally made me laugh out loud. I actually had to go back on the 10 later to pick up wifey....was wondering how many times I would get pulled over between there and home. For some reason today I saw probably a dozen cops w/ people pulled over during my two round trips on the I-10.

post #10 of 22 Old 05-05-2011, 06:08 AM
rodslinger

Send a message via Skype™ to rodslinger
Never liked aftermarket, tinted or blacked out tail lamps. I've nearly ran over a whole bunch of ****heads with them at night or in the rain because you can't see them until you are nearly on top of them. Reflectors are nearly useless with them also.

Nothing better than some cuban princess down here in Miami driving her pimped out Corolla with tinted tails in the rain, at night, doing 30mph in a 55mph zone in the left lane. Idiots like that need to take up Russian Roulette.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 AM
cden1
Old Age Sux

Why are State Troopers called the DPS? AZ fascinates me. No wonder Wyatt Earp moved there. Too bad it's so freakin hot!
post #12 of 22 Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 AM
txspeccer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Our troopers in TX work for the DPS, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman0605 View Post
oh B15sentra Banned Me For No Reason Again And Its Ok Wit Me Because I Guess I Got To Be White In Order To Be Like And Talk Like Im White Too. u have the very lack of KNOWDELGE. So get cha mind right FOOLS...
post #13 of 22 Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 PM
OrangeBeard

I got busted in CA with tail light tints (vinyl) and had to remove the film and get my ticket signed off. The officer who signed off my ticket told me if you get rear ended with tinted tails, the other person's (who hit you) insurance company could possibly use that as defense and claim that they could not see your brake lights. Then you may be liable for your damage and theirs.

Looks cool, but just that piece of info made me think it was pretty dumb to take the chance.

04 Spec V
Nismo: Cams, Cat-back, FSB, RSB. JWT Valve Springs, BSR. AEM CAI, MMI, B&M SS, UR pulley, 2JR Plenum, Fidanza 11lb. flywheel, Spec Stage 2 clutch. BR coilovers, 6K swift springs, Nismo wheels, Projector HIDs @ 6K, LED tails and LED turn signals
~170WHP w Cats intact, CARB-legal.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-09-2011, 10:44 AM
easy life
Drift king

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting piece of info... I too have never been a fan of tinting taillights. Ppl tend to blackout tails to look cool? How?

06 Silverstone S2000
03 Blackout Spec- totaled 2/10
Nismo header, K&N flat panel filter,Nismo leather shift knob, 5000k HID headlights, 3000k HID fogs, Brembo blanks, Hawks HPS pads, Fuzion HRi's
post #15 of 22 Old 05-10-2011, 06:44 AM
SpecBee
Tech

Send a message via AIM to SpecBee
Whats the percentage of road rage there involving a fire arm? Lol here people throw bottles out the window.

Exterior: Nismo
Interior: Nismo
Performance: Nismo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: