1.8s starting problems - Page 2 - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average.
post #16 of 38 Old 07-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Y2K SE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjunkie
link is broken.
Do a search for long crank time. The link was a shortcut to the search results.

Quote:
there may be a tsb for it but I can garuntee that the problem will come back and the dealership will never say they messed up or the tsb didnt fix it.
The TSB instructions fixed my wife's '03 GXE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 PM
BrianRitchie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to BrianRitchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SilverGXE1
Whether the problem has been suspected as fuel pump, leaking injector, leaking head gasket... this process has worked for me and has minimized the start/stall or start/stumble problems:
  • Turn the key on, wait until the chime stops sounding.
  • Floor the gas pedal as if to start a flooded engine.
  • Turn the key to the Start position and hold it there until the oil pressure light is no longer lit.
  • Let the gas pedal up while still holding the key in the Start position the engine should start without stalling or stumbling.
i think flooring the gas pedal before start up actually turns off the injectors temporarily to prevent flood.

Hyundai master technician. Nissan enthusiast. 04 Sentra 1.8S 5 speed, 06 G35 6 speed
post #18 of 38 Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
duqj

(Thread Starter)
Hi again,

The thing that I have to put the at on and waiting3-4 second or even that the fuel gauge show the exact level doesnt even solve the problem, the problem even appears when I do it... (answer for Black B15)

Il say it again, I don't spend any money for those parts, I'm still under the original waranty.

So from this morning, my car is at the dealership to get the ecw thing replaced...

I will see if it will solve the problem... :S

post #19 of 38 Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
duqj

(Thread Starter)

Hi guys,

So from yesterday afternoon, they changed the ecw... from so far, only time will tell if that intermitent problem will be solved. God I hope this will end the problem... I've been running to the dealer ship mostly every week, sometime twice a week to the dealership...

And again, I want to remind that I'm still on waranty so nothing to worry about spending something
post #20 of 38 Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 PM
dtw_2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by duqj
Hi guys,

So from yesterday afternoon, they changed the ecw... from so far, only time will tell if that intermitent problem will be solved. God I hope this will end the problem... I've been running to the dealer ship mostly every week, sometime twice a week to the dealership...

And again, I want to remind that I'm still on waranty so nothing to worry about spending something
Please post an update as to whether or not this seems to work. I have an 06 sentra and have a similar problem. It randomly won't crank ... and when it doesn't, everything seems fine, but the engine just keeps turning and never catches? It almost always catches 2nd time around. Also, I believe my problem is more likely to occur if my car has been sitting in the heat for a while.
post #21 of 38 Old 08-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Projectb15

how about the fuel pump relay? If that is a little dinged up or gone bad, it could relate to your problem...i pulled out my fuel pump, whoa! too much plastic for a fuel pump inside it.

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE, ES MMI's, Ebay CAI, Fidanza SS, Unorthodox Flywheel, XTune Header, Kumho Ecsta AST rubber, Megan FTB and lowering springs, KYB Gr-2 Shocks and upper strut bushing, ABS Dynamics Front Lip, Megan exhaust, Black housing headlamps and tails, Nismo Shift knob, se-R sideskirts...
post #22 of 38 Old 08-04-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
duqj

(Thread Starter)
found it!!

Its not a matter of the fuel pump thing, its the ECM (Electronic Computer Module) that caused the starting problem of my 1.8s sentra 2006. They changed it with another one of the same year on the lot and since then, (2 weeks ago now) I never had the same problem again! So they gonna get a bran new one for my car and return the other one to the other car where it belong. They said it cost around 950$ but since that i'm allways on the warranty, I don't have to spend anything!!

So after they changed:

1- Fuel repair kit pump
2- Fuel pressure Sensor
3- ignition switch

(Note: every of these changes doesn't resolve the problem, it was still there)

it was finally the ecm that cause that trouble. I'm glad they resolve it and most gladly to you peoples who have a b15 sentra and will not have to search again to know where that problem is still comming from!

Have a great day guys!

Note: I know it's a bit costly but its up to you and a really hope that every one who still have that problem still have a warranty
post #23 of 38 Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 PM
blownb310

Thank you very much for following up this thread with the answer. Has your car been reliable since then?

Thanks, Mike
post #24 of 38 Old 01-20-2012, 01:42 PM
shad0walker5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SilverGXE1 View Post
Whether the problem has been suspected as fuel pump, leaking injector, leaking head gasket... this process has worked for me and has minimized the start/stall or start/stumble problems:
  • Turn the key on, wait until the chime stops sounding.
  • Floor the gas pedal as if to start a flooded engine.
  • Turn the key to the Start position and hold it there until the oil pressure light is no longer lit.
  • Let the gas pedal up while still holding the key in the Start position the engine should start without stalling or stumbling.
SOOOO glad I found this site! Right before Christmas my 2005 Sentra 1.8 S started having starting issues. I would have to try to crank it for several minutes before it would actually start. Finally I ended up running down the battery from trying to start it so much. After 3 weeks of not driving it, it miraculously started! I drove it to the mechanic's and he took a look at it. He said the thermostat needed to be replaced. He said since the thermostat wasnt working, the sensor wasnt picking up the fact that the engine was over heating and shutting down. So I got that fixed, thinking that was the solution to my problem. NOT! Next day, still would not start. Finally I got it to start, brought it back over to the mechanic's and left it. He was able to get it to start every single time! Got it home, then next morning, NOTHING! AGAIN! Once again I ran the battery down from trying to start it, since I had several people tell me that it sounded like it wasnt getting fuel. So after purchasing a charger, I decided to do some research on the problem, and ran into this site. I installed the battery back in the car this morning and primed the fuel pump. Low and behold, IT STARTED RIGHT UP!!!! Thank you everyone for posting this site! My job was literally in jeopardy here lately. I had been riding with a co-worker that has totally different hours than I had, I was missing work and my production was down But now it works like a charm!
post #25 of 38 Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 PM
BrianRitchie

Send a message via AIM to BrianRitchie
I dont remember if i shared this on B15sentra.net yet, but ive been dealing with the "extended crank, no start condition" issue since i purchased my car in 2007 and the car still always starts on the second try till this day..... dealer did not take the time to duplicate the issue and never came up with a diagnosis...... but i come home from work to eat lunch every day (about 5 miles) i turn the car off for about 25 minutes.... and when i go to return to work it almost ALWAYS does the extended crank, no start condition.... i decided to duplicate the issue myself twice... the first time i checked fuel pressure at the rail and it was normal.... the second time i checked injector pulse using a noid light on the injector harness and found there was no injector pulse when trying to start the car!!!! injectors are controlled by the ECU and since the car has never left me stranded i havent bothered looking any further into it..... I dont doubt the faulty fuel pump diagnosis at all... just sharing what ive found.

Hyundai master technician. Nissan enthusiast. 04 Sentra 1.8S 5 speed, 06 G35 6 speed
post #26 of 38 Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 PM
TXDavidJ

Ahh this thread has answered my questions. Thanks!!
post #27 of 38 Old 02-11-2012, 07:50 PM
TXDavidJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0walker5 View Post
SOOOO glad I found this site! Right before Christmas my 2005 Sentra 1.8 S started having starting issues. I would have to try to crank it for several minutes before it would actually start. Finally I ended up running down the battery from trying to start it so much. After 3 weeks of not driving it, it miraculously started! I drove it to the mechanic's and he took a look at it. He said the thermostat needed to be replaced. He said since the thermostat wasnt working, the sensor wasnt picking up the fact that the engine was over heating and shutting down. So I got that fixed, thinking that was the solution to my problem. NOT! Next day, still would not start. Finally I got it to start, brought it back over to the mechanic's and left it. He was able to get it to start every single time! Got it home, then next morning, NOTHING! AGAIN! Once again I ran the battery down from trying to start it, since I had several people tell me that it sounded like it wasnt getting fuel. So after purchasing a charger, I decided to do some research on the problem, and ran into this site. I installed the battery back in the car this morning and primed the fuel pump. Low and behold, IT STARTED RIGHT UP!!!! Thank you everyone for posting this site! My job was literally in jeopardy here lately. I had been riding with a co-worker that has totally different hours than I had, I was missing work and my production was down But now it works like a charm!

How do you prime the fuel pump? I still have problems starting even when I wait 4 dings and hold gas petal down. Everything on this thread besides ECW change still making my 03 Sentra having startup issues.
post #28 of 38 Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 AM
JudoJohn

to prime you turn the key to ignition- wait a few seconds until you don't hear the pump going, then start it. do not hodl down the pedal. it is detrimental on a fuel injected engine. when starting, don't even touch the gas pedal. that's a carryover from the old carbureted engine days-
post #29 of 38 Old 02-14-2012, 05:08 PM
i68k

Send a message via Yahoo to i68k
priming your fuel is something like this:
1-put keyON, wait for dinging to stop
2-put keySTART for 2-3 seconds, listen for fuel pump buzzing
3-while keySTART, press the clutch pedal to start the motor

there is no need to press the accel pedal when starting. also if you have any ses codes, they would be greatly appreciated
post #30 of 38 Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 AM
blk sentra

hmm im having the same issue on my 02. im guessing he hasnt had that problem since he has posted. a used ECM is going for 200. i just want to make sure this is causing the problem

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: