01 GXE, no output from the alternator - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 02-07-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
chris_guthrie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
01 GXE, no output from the alternator

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this forum as I've just picked up my sentra earlier this week. I bought it with a "bad alternator". So,when I got it I changed the alternator and the battery and drove it home, well most of the way home. Battery was not getting charged.

So what I've done so far, it has a new alternator, new battery, new plug (2 pin plug that goes on the alternator), new battery cable ends, and I've verified that all of the connections make contact.

When I start the car and check voltage coming out of the alternator, I just get battery voltage. The alternator isn't putting out anything. Revved it up a bit and saw a very small increase (.05v), but other than that, nothing. Belt is on and looks fairly new, no noise or visual signs of slippage, but I'm getting no output.

I took the old alternator and got it tested and it checked good. No idea where to go from here. Anyone else have this issue and resolve it or have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-07-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
chris_guthrie

(Thread Starter)
I did notice that the battery indicator light does not come on, as well as some of the other warning lights in the dash. They don't come on at all when the key is turned to "on". So I replaced all of the bulbs but still only get the door ajar light and the seat belt light.*

I was looking at the troubleshooting in the manual, it said to ground the yellow wire and see if the light comes on, which it does not. Don't know if that would stop the alternator from producing output or not but figured it may be relevant to mention it here.*
post #3 of 4 Old 02-07-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
chris_guthrie

(Thread Starter)
Upon further review of the repair manual, I notice that in order for the alternator to start working, it must first get a complete circuit through the "charge" light in the dash. My charge light does not work. Nor do any other warning light other than the signals, high beam indicator, and the door ajar and seat belt lights. I grounded the "L" terminal to the battery and turned the key on and it still does not illuminate. I've also replaced the bulb for the "charge" light, grounded it and it still does not work.*

Is it possible that a faulty gauge cluster will cause the alternator to not charge? Or something is stopping the circuit from completing? The wiring schematic for the alternator shows a ground to the engine block... mine does not have a ground wire for the alternator.*

So here's what I'm thinking, either I have a faulty gauge cluster that's not completing the circuit to send the initial 12v signal to terminal "L", or I'm missing a ground for the alternator, which all the ones I saw in pictures or at the local junkyard did not have a ground either so not sure if that's it.*

One more question, if I bypass that "L" terminal circuit by running a lead from the battery (+) to the connector, that should create the initial voltage for the alternator to start charging. Will that work, or will that potentially damage something?*

At this point, it's either ground the alternator and hope that works, buy a gauge cluster from the junkyard and hope that works, or supply 12v to the "L" terminal and hope that doesn't jack something up. This is driving me absolutely crazy guys.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2015, 01:31 PM
01GXEStock

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am curious & wanting to learn. After looking... I'll say 'Check Fuse # 30'.

Possibly interesting thread though incomplete. http://www.nissanforums.com/b13-91-9...stem-faqs.html .

fsm here http://www.b15u.com/threads/35-Nissa...uals-%28FSM%29

The alt. ground is through the case & bracket, don't need a wire.

Did you look for a blown fuse? From the fsm pg. EL-104, looks like fuse # 30 (10 A) feeds the warning lights. Including the seat belt light, which you say does light, so maybe this fuse is not the problem. As I understand it now, If it is blown, then the battery light won't light and the field coils won't get energized at startup, and your alternator will not work.

About hot-wiring the 'L' terminal to the red battery +12v (right? NOT ground). From what I've read, it shouldn't cause a problem, but I may only know enough to be dangerous. Seems it's a commonly done thing, called a 'full field test'. See http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/al...ield-test.html

Just figured out that 'sc.pdf' in the fsm is 'starting & charging system'. Page SC-24 mentions fusible link 'a' (100A) connects to alt. terminal B (stator) and fuse 33 (10A) to terminal S (voltage regulator, field). Also here is mentioned fuse 30 for terminal L through the warning light. If fuse 30 is OK, I'd say also check fuse 33.

Last edited by 01GXEStock; 02-10-2015 at 04:50 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: