Key lock stuck on. Can't turn key in ignition(2001 SE 2.0) - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 02-10-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
ThavionHawk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Key lock stuck on. Can't turn key in ignition(2001 SE 2.0)

I've had many problems with my car the last two months. The stock radio killed my batter twice(Replaced battery and then replaced the head unit)

I had to redo my timing because of the battery going flat. This do to the fact that I'd advance it from stock 15 to 17deg to run Plus. (I own a timing light for a reason)

Now though I find that my car's key lock seems to be jammed. I don't know just what's causing it. It could be down to an electrical problem or security system function as my car has the stock immobilizer system with key-less entry and smart key(Every option but the sunroof and disc changer from the factory) Or it could be a simple mechanical failure of the ignition barrel mechanism.

In short I am/It is stuck. I've got a ride while I need it but the car is stuck parked in back of my work. I'm more then able to take the ignition barrel out myself and replace it if that's the problem but I don't have the cash to spend on the part if it's not going to fix it.

The worst part of this is as part of the replacement of the head unit I decided to replace the stock 14 year old speakers too so I just dropped $250 on a full 7 peace set of Kenwoods to go with the new Sony head unit... I can't even get my car home to install them and even if I could I cant turn the power on to use them.

The power in the car seems fin, the key-less works for the doors and trunk, the Panic button works fine. Both my keys work in the door and trunk still. I've tried disconnecting the battery(Had to to force a stock reset of the timing(Re-tuned it before I pulled the battery then left it unplugged so when it started up it would be totally stock)

I had also just did the oil change, replace the wiper blades, clean the car(Only ever do it myself, hat auto-washers they can't get under the boot spoiler and don't clean inside the wheel wheels, can also damage the tinting on the windows)

Dropping several hundred dollars on a car I still ow $2200 on is starting to seem like a wast. It's a 2001, but it's got under 130000 miles on it, to this point has run like a dream and as said before has every option short of the worthless cd changer and sunroof(Wouldn't have minded a spoiler-less boot lid though)

This just happened yesterday and has never happened before.

PS: My car is a 2000/2001 B15 SE 2.0l with the SR20DE RR block. Everything's stock apart from a K&N Filter(I clean my MAF every time i do my oil and or clean the filter) and the timing advance(Now back to stock) I also have an ODBII scanner though it won't help as I can't power the car on at all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-10-2015, 07:35 PM
civiceater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What is it exactly doing? The ignition barrel is mechanical so no electrical solenoid locking it or anything. Is the key stuck in the ignition? Or you can't put the key in?

03 Silver Spec-I/H/E/SS/TB mod/MMI/B&G springs/BSR/FidanzaFW/CMFX100/Nismo: LTB/RSB/FSB/Rims/Hankook Ventus V12 evo 225/45/17 [email protected]
91 Maroon 240 Coupe- Stock - smashed sold
https://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185353
post #3 of 4 Old 02-11-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
ThavionHawk

(Thread Starter)
The key goes in and out no problem, the key just can't turn. It's going into the shop today(Had to get it towed...) I figure the mechanism jammed. That or the wheel lock jammed it somehow. What ever the case wish me luck.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-11-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
ThavionHawk

(Thread Starter)
Well the mechanic took the ignition barrel out, lubed it and put it back. Simple as that. It was jammed, now it's not. The only problem is the lube comes off on the key so I have to wipe it off or my pocket gets coated with it. $55. I'm fine paying that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: