2002 Sentra 1.8, no spark, code 0505... - Page 2 - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Leusent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for posting your solution! It really helps when others have the same problem and search for previous threads.

Summer: 2007 Honda DOHC I-4 6Spd CBR600RR Black
Winter: 1995 Dodge SOHC I-4 5Spd Neon Highline Green
Other: 2001 Nissan DOHC I-4 5Spd Sentra XE Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 11-26-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
lazymaritimer

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, nothing worse than searching a forum, finding your exact problem, but no resolution. Further to my other posts, I isolated the wire break to being somewhere between the battery and firewall (under the hood). I found where the wire goes through the firewall (by the ECM) and just bypassed that portion so I didn't have to run a new wire through the firewall. I probably could have found the exact spot, but law of diminishing returns... it was just faster to re-run that part then dig endlessly through the harness. By the way, I am selling my spare crank sensor and ECM, it is in the classified section if anyone needs it.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 AM
orangelloSE-R
geezinondowntheroad

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazymaritimer
Yeah, nothing worse than searching a forum, finding your exact problem, but no resolution. Further to my other posts, I isolated the wire break to being somewhere between the battery and firewall (under the hood). I found where the wire goes through the firewall (by the ECM) and just bypassed that portion so I didn't have to run a new wire through the firewall. I probably could have found the exact spot, but law of diminishing returns... it was just faster to re-run that part then dig endlessly through the harness. By the way, I am selling my spare crank sensor and ECM, it is in the classified section if anyone needs it.
I'm glad you tracked it down. I saw another CPS thread yesterday, i doubt you hold that spare sensor very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
I was just thinking....I've owned Nissan products built in each of the last 4 decades (70's -- 00's.) That is pretty cool. I honestly don't know why I have owned so many Nissan products. They are like herpes....they keep popping up in your life.
2002 SE-R 5 speed

post #19 of 24 Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM
crazy95

i'm having the same problem with my 2001 GXE. SES light will not come on when the key is in the acc On position. Car cranks but will not start. Just replaced the ignition switch thinking that would help but still no SES light. Where exactly is the ecm relay and the ecm itself? I'm new to Nissan's. :P
post #20 of 24 Old 12-30-2008, 09:35 AM
blue03gxe

Lazymartimer, Hi, just registered, this is my first post. I'm having a similar problem with my 03 1.8L auto. with only a couple differences. Never had a problem until yesterday. Engine turns over but no fire and plugs are soaked with gas so it's flooding. 103k miles.
I changed the plugs at 100k and everything was fine. About 3 weeks ago (102k miles) the car began idling rough at startup, only on initial startup for the day when the engine was cold. After several days of that it started and died one day and set the CEL. I have a code scanner so I checked it and pulled a 0303 code (#3 cylinder misfire). I suspected a bad coil pack so I bought one and changed it although I'm not sure which cylinder is #3. I tried the second from the left and it didn't help. So yesterday I started it up, was missing, shut it down and swapped the new coil to another location and it hasn't started since. It will try to fire after cranking on it for 10-15 seconds but won't crank.
I bought the car with 95k on it so don't know what's been done in the past. Been getting 34 MPG consistently with no problems until recently. I'm going to check all the things you mention in this post and hopefully someone will read this and reply. Let me know what y'all think.
post #21 of 24 Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 AM
blue03gxe

I forgot to mention, right now there are no codes present.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 AM
orangelloSE-R
geezinondowntheroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue03gxe
I suspected a bad coil pack so I bought one and changed it although I'm not sure which cylinder is #3. I tried the second from the left and it didn't help. So yesterday I started it up, was missing, shut it down and swapped the new coil to another location and it hasn't started since. It will try to fire after cranking on it for 10-15 seconds but won't crank.
OK, no offense for this dumb question, but when you said you "swapped the new coil to another location", you don't mean you just took it off the plug & plugged it onto the other plug, right? It is very important that the spark plugs are connected to the correct wire for that particular plug, so that cylinder will get its spark with its gas.

There isn't a blockage (dead rat) in the air intake, right?

Quote:
I was just thinking....I've owned Nissan products built in each of the last 4 decades (70's -- 00's.) That is pretty cool. I honestly don't know why I have owned so many Nissan products. They are like herpes....they keep popping up in your life.
2002 SE-R 5 speed
post #23 of 24 Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
blue03gxe

No offense taken. No, I mean I removed the coil from one cylinder to another and plugged it in to it's respective connector.
Here's an update: I went out this morning and tried to start it. It almost cranked so I know it's getting fire; already knew I was getting good fuel. Pulled the plugs and they're covered with gas. These are Bosch Platinum +2. Went down to Advance and bought a set of NGK's (6376's), gapped them at .042, put everything back, and it started. Didn't crank right up, took a little bit of grinding, but it started and runs fine. No codes. Drove it down the road about 10 miles and it does fine. I'm hearing what I thought was a slight rattle that started about 2 weeks ago around the glove box. Seems to be inconsistent, goes away after the car's warmed up. After reading some other posts here I'm wondering about wiring and ECM problems.
Clues?
post #24 of 24 Old 12-30-2008, 01:29 PM
orangelloSE-R
geezinondowntheroad

Glad you got it runnin!

I know the QR25's have had some ECU failures, but i'm not sure about the QG18's. Usually, it starts with constant limp mode moments & false SES codes, if i recall correctly. I have also, for a long time, heard that NGK is this car's preferred plug, though some use Autolites & change them often.

The heater core is kinda behind the glove box, i bleve; maybe it is rattling a bit?

Quote:
2002 SE-R 5 speed

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: