Drew Manning's Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 14 Old 10-19-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
MJ2001SE
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Drew Manning's Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit

http://www.tryingfitness.com/fit-2-fat-2-fit-update/

Back in June, I wrote about Drew Manning's journey on being fit and getting fat within a 6-month time span. His purpose is to gain 50 - 60 pounds of fat and then teach people how they can get fit and stay fit. It is now October and the transformation is quite shocking. Here is how he currently looks:

Starting weight was 193 lbs. He is now at 263.4 pounds.

I have to give him credit on doing this. Back when I originally posted my first blog post, I was a bit critical. However, I read his most recent blog post and he is really going through some issues, both physically and mentally. Here are just a few excerpts of what he is dealing with:

And it’s just not fun anymore. Dreading to walk up the stairs knowing that you’ll be out of breath is not fun. Not being able to play with your 2-year old due to chaffing and lack of stamina is not fun. Being in constant discomfort and being self conscious no matter what you wear is not fun.

Speaking of laziness I’ve noticed that even though I’m hungry at times I get too lazy to even make a sandwich or pour a bowl of cereal.
My wife says I have the male equivalent of PMS, but instead of it being once a month it’s just a continual, never-ending cycle. I suppose I’m a little sensitive about my appearance. To comfort myself I’m going to sit on the couch with my Ben & Jerry’s and watch “Chocolat” with Johnny Depp (and only because my Steel Magnolias DVD has a scratch in it)
My wife and I had a serious discussion of how we thought this journey has had a negative impact on our marriage. All joking aside, we spoke about the physical, emotional, and mental side effects this project has caused and how it’s caused some “tension” in the home.
You can read his entire blog post here: Month 5 in Review.

I have to give Drew credit. He is really going through a lot of the issues that many overweight individuals have to deal with. It will be really quite interesting to watch him begin his transformation in a month. He knows what to do but I'm sure it will still require some discipline to break away from the bad habits that he has become accustomed to in these past 5 months.

Sorry if this is a repost...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 PM
chiquae07
Informed Lurker

Send a message via AIM to chiquae07
paul pj james did this over in the uk. looks like a US guy doing it now for the publicity.

Suck up a kitten
Eat a butterfly
Replace with WRX

2001 Granite Sentra Se wit PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by txspeccer View Post
Slow car races are exciting. For those 19 seconds until you hit 80 mph, nothing else matters.

Last edited by chiquae07; 10-19-2011 at 10:58 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Driving Illini
Engi-nerd

Send a message via AIM to Driving Illini
Meh...When your primary "job" is focusing on exercise and diet, anybody can lose weight! I want to see him balance a real persons life that requires prioritizing many things ahead of the gym (40+ hours in a low activity job plus commuting through traffic, caring for a family, general life obligations, etc.) all while trying to lose those pounds...Then he can actually get a real sense of just how difficult and frustrating it is for normal people.

"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." -Ferdinand Porsche
post #4 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 PM
adc100
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving Illini View Post
Meh...When your primary "job" is focusing on exercise and diet, anybody can lose weight! I want to see him balance a real persons life that requires prioritizing many things ahead of the gym (40+ hours in a low activity job plus commuting through traffic, caring for a family, general life obligations, etc.) all while trying to lose those pounds...Then he can actually get a real sense of just how difficult and frustrating it is for normal people.
Exactly. My wife has worked on diets for 25 years. She tries pretty hard. Although I don't know how much she gained and lost in the past 43 years. She weighed 115 when we were married. when we were married. I would guess that her peak weight was 175 or so. I would guess she weighs about 155 or so now.

Her main problem is that she doesn't exercise enough although she goes to the gym 3 times/week. But she deats no snacks and eats very lightly.

Ultimately 95% of dieters fail. That is not a number I pulled out of the air.

I eat as much as I want every day and weigh 140. I am very careful with fats and sugars.

I need to figure out a new signature.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Amplified2000
Foolishly Impractical

Send a message via Yahoo to Amplified2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving Illini View Post
Couple that with the fact the guy probably still has a decent foundation under there.. he may have gained fat but he hasn't lost his core completely in that short time.. Add in that he obviously knows what works for his body it should be pretty easy for him to get back to where he was.. much easier than the average joe who doesn't have that base to work with.

2012 Hyundai Veloster - Marathon Blue
post #6 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 06:59 PM
chiquae07
Informed Lurker

you guys are all down on the guys. i mean id like to see you do it. im a full time student, work 30 hours a week, and i still find time to prep, cook, eat, do all my homework, and get my workouts in. im down 20 pounds since the second week of august. its not impossible.

congrats, they have a good base and cant lose all that muscle in that short amount of time. big deal. however they still have to go through the same thing everyone else does. getting over the cravings, lifting hard, cardio, social changes, seeing what happens when you eat like crap and try to get back into things, etc. because you have the knowledge they have a small advantage over the other people, however they still have the same process.

all i see you guys doing is making excuses instead of actually trying to do it yourself. what happened to not giving up if you wanted to accomplish anything? did you just give up, or continue to fight no matter how many times you fell down? sheesh you guys disappoint me. for sake of discussion, i want to see YOU do it, but i figure you would make more excuses than actually start.

Suck up a kitten
Eat a butterfly
Replace with WRX

Quote:
Slow car races are exciting. For those 19 seconds until you hit 80 mph, nothing else matters.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
adc100
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquae07 View Post
all i see you guys doing is making excuses instead of actually trying to do it yourself. what happened to not giving up if you wanted to accomplish anything? did you just give up, or continue to fight no matter how many times you fell down? sheesh you guys disappoint me. for sake of discussion, i want to see YOU do it, but i figure you would make more excuses than actually start.
Well serious congratsto you.

I personally think the guy is nuts to intentionally abuse his body. I could never do that.

post #8 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 PM
MSC-B14
Resident Geologist

It is still different though when you get older. While I was in college and working I was still able to keep active because you don't have the extra worry and things to do. Especially once you get married then you not only have your stuff to do, but your wife's stuff to do as well. In college I rode my bike to class and back 2 or 3 times a day a mile each way, we played basketball, rock climbed, hiked, mountain biked. You lose the free time to do all that when you get married and have a job.

On that note it is possible to keep active, but it takes more dedication. I have been running for the last couple of months again and lost about 10 lbs so far. The only thing that keeps me motivated though is to sign up for a running event so that I have a goal. I have been on the eat whatever I want diet still because I am actually working out again...if I watched what I eat I would probably be down 15+ lbs.

Oh yeah did I mention your metabolism goes to hell too?

1996 200sx se - RIP
2005 Escape XLT - Stupid Uhaul
2006 Ford Fusion S

Last edited by MSC-B14; 10-21-2011 at 05:41 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Amplified2000
Foolishly Impractical

Send a message via Yahoo to Amplified2000
Quote:
you guys are all down on the guys. i mean id like to see you do it. im a full time student, work 30 hours a week, and i still find time to prep, cook, eat, do all my homework, and get my workouts in. im down 20 pounds since the second week of august. its not impossible.

congrats, they have a good base and cant lose all that muscle in that short amount of time. big deal. however they still have to go through the same thing everyone else does. getting over the cravings, lifting hard, cardio, social changes, seeing what happens when you eat like crap and try to get back into things, etc. because you have the knowledge they have a small advantage over the other people, however they still have the same process.

So you're saying I should get fat and then skinny again because this guy did it?

You're making an awful lot of assumptions about "us" in your post there...

The fact is that it will be much easier for him to get back to where he was than it would be for someone who was always overweight to get to a level of fitness similar to this guy before he started.. Will it motivate some people? sure.. but at the same time when he says "I went from this (fat) to this (his original body) in just 6 months!!!" and sells his book and exercise video's there are going to be a whole bunch of frustrated people who don't see the same results.. it's a loaded situation.

2012 Hyundai Veloster - Marathon Blue
post #10 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 PM
chiquae07
Informed Lurker

im not pointing at you guys specifically, but i dont get why the negative feedback? thats not necessarily easy to do by any means.

im not necessarily saying that you should gain and then drop. its more like get started on something and finish it. yes it takes dedication. yes, you will hit plateaus and become frustrated. but just to simply say he has it easier and you refuse to put a foot forward means something. idk, ive just been overwhelmed with people making open statements and open promises and not fulfilling them. of course they are doing this for publicity, and to sell their product/book/video/etc.

But im hoping in that way at least, the public actually sees what it means to be dedicated and disciplined towards a goal at hand. a lot of my friends see and know what i do on a daily basis and look at me like wow, id never be able to do that. no one these days wants to work for anything. everyone wants the easy and quickest way out.

Suck up a kitten
Eat a butterfly
Replace with WRX

Quote:
post #11 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Driving Illini
Engi-nerd

Send a message via AIM to Driving Illini
Quote:
Exactly my point, what you describe is true discipline and dedication...And good for you!

"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." -Ferdinand Porsche

Last edited by Driving Illini; 10-21-2011 at 02:11 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 04:39 PM
HeatSeeker
Army Of Me.

Seems kinda pointless to me for him to do that. Condescending, even. It's pretty easy to make yourself fat. And no doubt, getting in shape takes as*-busting hard work and dedication. But let's not forget that the guy probably has insanely good genes working for him. So for him to say, "Look, I did it, so can you" to a 40-year old soccer mom with birthing hips who's been working out, eating right, etc. with little progress doesn't really prove anything other than the fact that the dude is likely total dic*bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckmynissan
There is NOTHING wrong with the smell of fresh ball sweat.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Slackoff01
I dont care, really

everything else aside he has a single pierced nipple and therefore is a prissy little girly man.

02 BugEyE Wagon - Dog mover
05 legacy GT wagon

Quote:
Did you recently have a lobotomy or something? You used to be fun, but now....not so much.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-22-2011, 12:36 PM
adc100
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC-B14 View Post
Oh yeah did I mention your metabolism goes to hell too?
Actually I am not sure what you mean by that but it is not necessarily true.

I can eat all day and stay at 140 lbs. Probably the luck of the genes, but I have always been active.

Right not I do hit the gym about 5 times/week. Granted I can't do nearly what I once could. But my main thing is walking at a 15degree angle at 2.7 mph. for at least 1.25 miles. That's still the equivalent of climbing 1300 ft. And really it doesn't even make me breath hard. Pulse only goes to 115 tops.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: