B15 Sentra Forum banner

1.8s starting problems

76K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  breaddrink 
#1 ·
Hi!

I have a 2006 sentra 1.8s auto, and 1/7 time the engine have don't start... The engine still turn but its like there's no gas going to the engine. I've got it to the dealership and they said that it was the fuel pump that cause that.
so they change it.

Last weekend, it did it again...:mad: 3 times actually...

So I bring it back to the dealership once again and now every time they star it it works well but they didn't change anything on the second time because they said that everything was allright:confused:

Anyone could tell me what could it be? :)

thanks

#29 ·
priming your fuel is something like this:
1-put keyON, wait for dinging to stop
2-put keySTART for 2-3 seconds, listen for fuel pump buzzing
3-while keySTART, press the clutch pedal to start the motor

there is no need to press the accel pedal when starting. also if you have any ses codes, they would be greatly appreciated ;)

#31 ·
I will try that. Thanks. Check back for my response.

hmm im having the same issue on my 02. im guessing he hasnt had that problem since he has posted. a used ECM is going for 200. i just want to make sure this is causing the problem
I'm hoping that's the fix too.

Also, for my 1.8, what is the strongest motor can I swap out that would bolt right in place and use existing transmission? It's a manual.

#32 ·
still question the TSB

Last year when I had this problem I purchased a used (28K) fuel pump and it worked fine until recently (it now has 51K) on it. Priming is not always working at this point. Also it seems to happen when the car, not the engine, is hot like in the summer.
So I believe that the problem is the sending unit and this time I will buy a new one but one thing still bothers me. If the fuel leaks back down into the tank then why does it work fine in the morning or when it has been sitting for a long time. Seems like it should still have the cranking problem like it does when it is hot.

#38 ·
It's my understanding that it's because it didn't experience a warmer state than it was left in when the engine was last cut.
Meaning, if you park it in the evening. Warm engine, rapidly cooling surrounding weather and engine, the pressure doesn't build in the lines, forcing the fuel back out.

And the reverse on hot days. You park your car in the sun, environmental temps rise, and force it to unprime.

So for my car, a colder day that when I let it will result in it starting fine, and a warmer one, (or at least a changeable one), will mean a rocky start.. Most of the time.

#36 ·
i have been following this problem forever (it seems). since my 02 started acting up w/the long crank/no start condition, right around 80,000 miles. i went thru the walbro process, AND IT WORKED, for 6 months to the day. so, i bench tested the old (stock) pump, and it worked, too. (i suspected it was only working "sometimes" at the start of this nightmare). now, i have the stock pump BACK in the car. when i turn the key, i can hear it PUMPING. here's the funny part-there is NO FUEL PRESSURE, and not even a dribble of gas coming from the fuel line !! i guess my next step is put in a check-valve,,,can someone who has done this provide a little guidance ?? do i need a certain type ??(due to gas, and maybe, pressure)?? is this an autozone/advance/o'reilly part ?? if you could direct me to some help, it would be much appreciated !!

#37 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.