Starting issue - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Britjamcoolie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Starting issue

For about a week now my car has been starting weird.If I leave it for a few hours, when I turn the ignition it turns over really slowly as though the battery was dying but it still cranks.If I turn it off and start it again its fine.I had the battery checked at Discount and it read good with a low charge.I then took it to a mechanic that I know and he said it could still be the battery or the starter.I have a volt gauge on the aternator and it shows its charging.If it was the starter wouldn't it fail a couple of times?
What do you think?

2001 SE Black, HS CAI, 2.25 exhaust w/Aerospeed muffler, B&M ss, 17'' ICW Kamikaze's, ES MMI's, Cross drilling of the factory rotor's, KYB struts with Nismo springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2007, 01:56 PM
sharkey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i think the starter would slip, and just whine....

check your terminals..
and how you said "good with a low charge", if that does not make you think it probaly is the battery, then.....
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-2007, 02:46 PM
danny_hedges
Slowcars4life

Check the battery voltage with a multimeter before you start it next time. If it is significantly lower than 12.6V you may need a new battery. Although you may want to check how much of a drain your car is putting on the battery when the vehicle is off also.

You can also check the terminals in the starter and measure the resistance to find out if you have a short somewhere in the starter.

2003 Sentra SER Spec V

post #4 of 7 Old 02-15-2007, 03:23 PM
rapidv

Could it be the fuel pump TSB?

Super Black '03 Spec V, CAI, MMI, SS, TBS, Stromung
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2007, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Britjamcoolie

(Thread Starter)
After reading all the battery/alternator posts for the third time, I checked the terminals they seem ok.I have a volt gauge hooked up with the negative to the battery and the positive on the alternator. My results are that when I get in the car the battery is around 13 (analog gauge) when I turn the ignition it goes down to about 11.Then after ignition the gauge shows 15, which has to be the alternator as that is where the cable is. So I gather that the alternator is pushing out what it should.The battery is a red top Optima (would I be right to assume that the car is only starting the way it does because of the high CCA as a regular battery has far less and wouldn't turn at all?)As I said it only does it after being off for a period of time it wont do it if I turn it off and on.
Danny_hedges what could put a drain on the car when off?

2001 SE Black, HS CAI, 2.25 exhaust w/Aerospeed muffler, B&M ss, 17'' ICW Kamikaze's, ES MMI's, Cross drilling of the factory rotor's, KYB struts with Nismo springs.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2007, 09:10 PM
danny_hedges
Slowcars4life

Depending on the cars design it is usually radar detectors, car alarms and the ecu of a car will also put a small drain on it. Sometimes you will get weird problems like glove box lights and other various components sucking up energy.

2003 Sentra SER Spec V
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2007, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Britjamcoolie

(Thread Starter)
I do have a radar detector and an alarm.As far as I know, Sentra's never had a light in the glove box.But doesn't all the power to the radar and stuff stop when the car is off.Also I installed a ground kit like 2 months ago. I've noticed a lot of people having problems after installing theirs on these forums, could that lead to anything though I don't see how that would be putting a drain and at the same time how come so many others are having problems after installing theirs? I thought about purchasing a battery booster and putting that on the car before starting to see if it really is the battery. What do you think and what is a good booster to buy?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: