2001 Nissan Sentra SE Stereo Speakers Blown - Looking For Replacements - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 12 Old 12-29-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
FunkinsDesigns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2001 Nissan Sentra SE Stereo Speakers Blown - Looking For Replacements

As the title says I'm looking for replacement speakers for my 2001 Nissan Sentra SE.

I've managed to blow pretty much every speaker in the car, quite possibly including the factory subwoofer. At the moment they still work but I've had to turn every setting down on my aftermarket stereo to get the sound even remotely livable right now.

What I'm trying to find are specs for the speakers themselves as I'd like replacements for them. Everything in the car is stock except for the Kenwood head unit I've installed (if I'm remembering the model correctly it's the KDC-BT555U).

I know the speaker sizes for the doors and the rear deck are 6.5" and I believe the sub is as well.

I'd happily just take some of the speakers out myself right now to look but I don't have space to work and it's really cold out so I thought I'd go to the forums to see if anyone could help.

I don't really need anything high end, just something that will get me by and be comparable to the factory setup as I imagine I'll have the car for another year or 2 before getting another one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

=Can Never Stop Learning=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Davis137

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
You didn't mention if the speakers front and rear are stockers or not (I am guessing that this is the case), but if they were/are, I think you won't go wrong with coaxials from anyone like Power Acoustik, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc. I have Pioneers in the back, MB Quart Components in the front (none of those speakers I put in), all being driven off my JVC Arsenal KD-A65 deck with it's HPF engaged, and they are more than loud enough off 20 watts RMS. I have a single 10" Pioneer slim sealed cabinet in the trunk with a small amp putting 175watts RMS into it, and it's also plenty loud enough.

What kind of music do you listen to? That kinda helps determine things a little bit better. Are you into pure volume, SQ, etc...those things matter. If you want loud with decent sound quality for cheap, go with any of the brands I mentioned above. I used to have a complete Power Acoustik setup in one of my previous cars, and it sounded awesome, took the abuse I gave it, and didn't break the bank.

Spec-V'd Since July 2013
post #3 of 12 Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
FunkinsDesigns

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for responding Davis137.

Yeah, everything in my car is stock except for the head unit. Speakers, Tweeters and Sub is all straight from the factory.

I guess what I'm not sure of is what I should be looking for in terms of the replacement speakers. I'm not looking to make an award winning system or anything, just something that would allow me to turn up my music (bass and all) and not hear the speakers crack and "fart" like they are now.

I've been looking here at speakers (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i7_car-speakers.html) but really have no clue what I'm looking for. I know that the stock stereo in the 2001 Sentra SE is 180 Watts (unless I'm remembering incorrectly and it was 200), but that's about it.

For example, on the page I can see Speakers but then I can also see Component Speakers. I know I need to do a Google search to see the difference between the 2 myself but once I've done that then I need to narrow it down further.

Like when I click on Speakers I see these: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-G1644R.html

If I'm understanding what you're saying these would work fine for the fronts (doors) and the back (rear deck), and power/volume shouldn't be an issue. As far as the sub goes and if I have to replace that I'm not even positive yet.

Musically I listen to pretty much everything (Country isn't my thing though) but typically have the bass turned up all the way.

Not sure if I've helped answer the questions you had for me or if I just made it more difficult but I again wanted to say thank you for the help, any more info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-18-2015, 09:01 PM
Davis137

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
OK, you mentioned you have a Sentra SE, and it likely doesn't have components in it (tweeters in the A-pillars). If you HAVE to HAVE components, you simply need to get the A-Pillar interior Bezels from a Sentra that had the higher model of stock stereo (these will have the tweeter pods, and should drop right in), which you can get from SER's/Spec-V's. These you can get from a scrap yard. You would simply put the woofers from the component set in the stock location in the doors, and re-use the OEM wires for them. Then you take your original pillar covers off and swap the ones with tweeters in. The tweeters will be on a small track-like bracket that simply screws into the A-Pillar, and the trim has the tweeter pod molded into it that fits over top (for tweeters 1" an smaller). You would just need to feed the wires from the tweeters under the pillar trim and through the dash. The crossovers for the component sets will fit inside the center of the dash under your stereo (mine are like this, and they are friggen huge...consult here: https://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=191625 )

Now, if you feel you don't need to go to the time and expense for components, you can get some really nice sounding 6.5" coaxials to put in the doors alone, and then the same for the rear deck. Again, if you don't want to break the bank, run the fronts and rears off your HU (if it has an internal HPF and runs 20watts RMS or more per channel).

You won't go wrong with Pioneers, JVC DRVN or Arsenal, Kenwood, JBL, Infinity, or Power Acoustik. My parents have the JVC DRVN 6x8's in all 4 doors of ther 2006 F150 Supercrew, and they ar being driven off a JVC double DIN touchscreen HU and sound really good. I have had Power Acoustik 6x8's in my Focus that sounded fantastic, also just driven off the HU.

For Bass, I would go with a good quality 8-10" (only 1), loaded into a ported box, as you said that you crank your bass all the way, so the ported may yield more SPL for your tastes (I think sealed would work well too, just need a bigger amp, and a box that is the specs your sub calls for). You could use a Single 10" and would want to drive it with more than 150 watts RMS. Things are different now than 10 or more years ago. You don't need close to 1KW to drive modern subs loud like in the past.

You could consult the installation that is in my car in the above quoted thread, as it may be a lot like what you are doing with your own car.

Let us know if you need more advice!

Spec-V'd Since July 2013
post #5 of 12 Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Y2K SE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Have you read these threads? They are stickied at the top of this subforum and are the de facto source of audio information for these cars.

https://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26614
https://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26615

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Infinity_R.../1086032SI.htm are what I have in the GXE. They are powered by an Alpine CDA-9835. They do a decent job. I see that they are now discontinued and I don't know what replaced them, but that might give you a direction.

There were several options to replacing the factory sub with a solution that also could mount to the rear deck, but I don't know what currently is available.

Current:
2011 Navy Blue Metallic Nissan Altima 3.5SR Sedan

Previous:
2000 Heatwave Nissan Sentra SE w/ Performance Package | NISMo Suspension | NISMo 17x7.5 bronze wheels
post #6 of 12 Old 02-17-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
FunkinsDesigns

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info everyone, I'm definitely going to have to do some reading up to see what is the best way to go. I know that I'm probably going to only have the car for another year or 2 (at most) as it's starting to show it's age and I have a few repairs coming up that need to be done but may actually out-value the car so I'm deciding what to do on that front as well.

To further give a little more information about the car, it does have the tweeters in the A-pillar's. The car itself had the top of the line stereo in it with the 2 tweeters in the pillars, the 2 6.5's in the front doors and the 2 6.5's in the back plus the factory 6.5 sub and amp in the trunk mounted under the rear deck of the car.

Really I'm just hoping to swap out the speakers and replace them, I'm not looking to do any further modifications or anything, I'd just like to have that loud non-blown speaker sound since more of them are blown than not, LOL.

This is most likely a stupid question to be asking here since clearly you guys know what you're talking about but what would I be looking for in terms of wattage for the speakers that I'd be replacing? Also, I quickly noticed it saying that if you replace the front door speakers to either upgrade the tweeters or disconnect them, thing is that for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the pillars properly (although, admittedly, I haven't tried too hard since it's so cold here and I'm working outside).

post #7 of 12 Old 02-17-2015, 06:28 PM
Y2K SE

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Any speakers that exceed the RMS wattage of your head-unit (which appears to be 22w per channel and which I bet practically all aftermarket speakers will exceed) and will fit. I always had good success with Crutchfield's recommendations on fit since the Sentra's openings aren't exactly 6.5".

To remove the pillars, grasp at the top and pull toward the opposite side of the car.

Current:
2011 Navy Blue Metallic Nissan Altima 3.5SR Sedan

Previous:
2000 Heatwave Nissan Sentra SE w/ Performance Package | NISMo Suspension | NISMo 17x7.5 bronze wheels
post #8 of 12 Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 PM
JP
Infamous

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to JP
Whoa a real thread.

It only took 12 years.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-18-2015, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
FunkinsDesigns

(Thread Starter)
So, if I'm understanding correctly I should be able to buy just about any of the speakers listed here (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i...-speakers.html) and have them work on my car, correct?

Now I've just got to figure out what I need to get to replace the factory subwoofer on the car too, LOL.

post #10 of 12 Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 AM
JP
Infamous

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkinsDesigns View Post
So, if I'm understanding correctly I should be able to buy just about any of the speakers listed here (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i...-speakers.html) and have them work on my car, correct?

Now I've just got to figure out what I need to get to replace the factory subwoofer on the car too, LOL.
LOL, at the so called sub. Honestly I would take it out and just add a 10" sub with a small amp on the box in the trunk.

It only took 12 years.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-18-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
FunkinsDesigns

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
LOL, at the so called sub. Honestly I would take it out and just add a 10" sub with a small amp on the box in the trunk.
I know, I know... It's not much of a sub but still. Anyway, the point is to get the stereo working on the car again for as little/cheap as possible. I may or may not have the car for another year or 2 (depends on how much the work/things I need to get done to it will cost as I believe they will out-value the car).

post #12 of 12 Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 AM
JP
Infamous

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkinsDesigns View Post
I know, I know... It's not much of a sub but still. Anyway, the point is to get the stereo working on the car again for as little/cheap as possible. I may or may not have the car for another year or 2 (depends on how much the work/things I need to get done to it will cost as I believe they will out-value the car).
I wouldn't even bother then. Just get a good set of sub mids for the rear and a good set of components for up front.

It only took 12 years.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: