B15 Sentra Forum banner

Replacing My Head Gasket: An Ongoing Journal

25K views 83 replies 24 participants last post by  LowBudgetBaller 
#1 ·
Alrighty, so today I decided to start dismantling my QR to replace my very blown head gasket. I have several sets of sockets plus my handy new set of wratcheting wrenches, love those, plus some other random tools of use, needlenose, flashlight, work light, rags, plastic baggies, marker, grease crayon, zip ties and a big ol' box of latex gloves. So first things first, I slide my oil bucket under the car and take out the plug. Then pop the hood. Off comes the plastic engine cover, then we make with undoing the coil packs from the spark plugs, then take off the various hoses and such clipped to the valve cover, then undo all the bolts surrounding the valve cover. At this point I realized I needed to remove the alternator. So I took off the front right tire and took off the splash guard to give me access to the belt tensioner. (the black round thing)

Wrench that back towards the rear of the car to loosen the belt and put a drill bit in the two holes that line up on it and the engine block to keep it there. Took off the belt, which was in mint condition by the way, no idea how, and then proceeded to take out the two big *** bolts holding in the alternator. Once those are out the thing pulls right out. Almost. I had too loosen up the black bracket on top of the radiator to get it out. Haven't the Japanese ever heard of wiggle room? Took off the valve cover and I also took off the header heat shield. So at that point it looks like this.

I then went to take of the cam gear cover. Seem like a logical step. That was a *****, there two bolts in the back that are hella cramped to get to. Anways after some cursing and wrenching it looks like this.

At this point I'm about two hours in give or take a few minutes from letting the dogs out then back in, grabbing another drink and using the little boys room, so we leave her like this.

I'm gonna wait until my knowledgable friend comes over to take a look before ripping anything else off. I'll keep this thread going with updates as I progress. In the meantime I got me a new toy to play with, Apple iTouch :cool:

Oh is this thing badass...but whats with the Spanish ads?

See less See more
#27 ·
MarcAtArkon said:
Where did you get that MAF cleaner? I've been using No residue contact cleaner for a while now... I assume it's the same stuff?
PepBoys. I assumed the electronics cleaner was universal, but then why would they make to completely different things? I erred on the side of caution and got a can of each.

#28 ·
I should be able to update this tomorrow as i am in the middle of doing mine now. I have the head off the engine and letting it drain oil overnight since you cant have oil on the new headgasket or it wont seal.

Also, i didnt have to take the Timing chain off, the oil pans or the timing chain cover

#29 ·
I think duder decided he had some kitten damage & was planning to bolt it back together & go see nissan about a possible warranty rebuild due to faulty kitten hacking a catalytic hairball into his cylinders.

#30 ·
MarcAtArkon said:
Where did you get that MAF cleaner? I've been using No residue contact cleaner for a while now... I assume it's the same stuff?
Kragen stores carry CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. Currently, it's about $5.95 + tax for an 11 ounce metal spray can.

It seems to help keep the MAF clean, though I don't buy into their claim on the front of the can that says

"PROVEN to Gain 4 - 10 Horsepower at the Wheels! *".
and the asterisk (*) qualifier is explained on the back of the can as

* Test data obtained on a dynamometer at R/T Tuning in Lansdale, PA.

#35 ·
Wow, my journal thread has been hijacked, I didn't think it was possible...

As previously stated, this is not a how-to. This is just what I have done. Although I must thank you. Knowing that the chain doesn't have to come off helps tremendously. We were having a ***** of a time getting the bolt out of the intake cam and just said to hell with it. Guess I'll give it another go. I haven't had the chance to work on the car recently due to the insane rain we've been having in SE PA. It's finally sunny today but we got mad house work to do so I'll see what happens.

On another note however, I just got the wonderfully bad news that my warranty ended July 22 so the fact that my stock header destroyed my pistons is now my problem. So basically I'll be replacing the gaskets and trading this disaster in. Let it be someone elses problem. I need a truck anyway and Jeeps lifetime powertrain warranty makes the Grand Cherokee Laredos even more nice.

#36 ·
Update: October 29 - Off with her head!

So the good news, the head is off. Woot. Had to use a 3' piece of pipe on the wrench to get the leverage to get the intake cam gear bolt out. Not sure what a proper cylinder head is supposed to look like but, whatever. Here it is.

OMG look at these valves :eek:

Notice the black seal missing betyween the cylinders? Other side is even worse...

Totally out of light now so re-assembly will have to wait until later. And of course the bad news. Being that my Spec is parked in the backyard in a driveway, it is pretty exposed to the elements. Well, unfortunately one of those elements happen to be a tree branch, 3 in fact, that broke free from the mighty oak in our yard due to the winds we had and fell on my car. I couldn't get pictures due to lack of light but there are three nice size dents in my hood now, one that goes over to the driver side fender. Needless to say the relief that the head is off has been all but been extinguished by the newly installed tree ergonomics in my hood. If it ain't one thing it's another...

P.S. Anybody know a good way to clean the valves? I could just use some steel wool or a wire brush unless theres a better way.

#37 ·
BigDave said:
Update: October 29 - Off with her head!

So the good news, the head is off. Woot. Had to use a 3' piece of pipe on the wrench to get the leverage to get the intake cam gear bolt out. Not sure what a proper cylinder head is supposed to look like but, whatever. Here it is.

OMG look at these valves :eek:

Notice the black seal missing betyween the cylinders? Other side is even worse...

Totally out of light now so re-assembly will have to wait until later. And of course the bad news. Being that my Spec is parked in the backyard in a driveway, it is pretty exposed to the elements. Well, unfortunately one of those elements happen to be a tree branch, 3 in fact, that broke free from the mighty oak in our yard due to the winds we had and fell on my car. I couldn't get pictures due to lack of light but there are three nice size dents in my hood now, one that goes over to the driver side fender. Needless to say the relief that the head is off has been all but been extinguished by the newly installed tree ergonomics in my hood. If it ain't one thing it's another...

P.S. Anybody know a good way to clean the valves? I could just use some steel wool or a wire brush unless theres a better way.
Wow your cylinders are dirty. I wouldnt worry to much about the valves, i didnt clean mine, but mine did look a little better. As for cleaning the head surface and block surface, use a scotch brite bad and acetone. Make sure you get them REALLY REALLY clean and wipe them both down with acetone one last time before you put them together.

P.S. i noticed you kept the timing chain cover on, makes it alot easier doesnt it?

#38 ·
houstonser said:
Wow your cylinders are dirty. I wouldnt worry to much about the valves, i didnt clean mine, but mine did look a little better. As for cleaning the head surface and block surface, use a scotch brite bad and acetone. Make sure you get them REALLY REALLY clean and wipe them both down with acetone one last time before you put them together.

P.S. i noticed you kept the timing chain cover on, makes it alot easier doesnt it?
Dude, so much easier. I was dreading having to take off the crank pulley and keeping the timing proper. Its not a good sign on the part of Nissan when in their FSM it states you need to remove the timing chain cover AND timing chain to remove the head :rolleyes: In the end it just took some grunt.

#40 ·
I would have loved to throw up a final post on this thing saying it was all back together and the planets aligned and all is right with the car and the world, but such is not the case. The car went back together without much of a problem, with the exception being we weren't quite sure if the cams went in proper seeing as the marks we made lined up but didn't really line up...not sure how we ****ed that up but either way when we went to start it it turned over for a few seconds but wouldn't start up. So I let it sit and tried again and this time it turned over a few more times sounding very normal but then it made a slight popping sound. No idea what it was but that can never be good. So at this point the very reliable AAA is towing my giant red paperweight to Drexel Hill Nissan. The whole point of this ordeal was to avoid the stealership but oh well, should have left it to the pros. I'm am hoping, praying and doing rain dances that its a simple fix and under $500. But life has a funny way of sticking it in sideways with no lube at the worst times. We'll see.

#42 ·
A few pics as well:

The very technical method of torque to yield. Since I refuse to buy an angle wrench that I'll use once, I just bought a protractor from the dollar store. worked like a charm.

And just for Mr. orangello, told you we used a torque wrench. The very remarkable, Mr. Stanley.

And the awesome dent the mighty oak tree decided to put into my hood.

#43 ·
I hope your "paperweight" comes out OK. After all this work, you'll be pizzed if you sell it. ;)

That is one HAWT torque wrench. :D

#44 ·
Ok, wow. So pretty much the worst possible outcome has occured. The exhaust cam was 180* off (again, no idea how this happened) and has apparently bent the valves. They tested the cylinders and got ZERO COMPRESSION! I didn't think that the valves could be damaged seeing as the car never actually started but apparently just from turning the engine over they did. So the dealers recommendation: A NEW LONG BLOCK, AT THE LOW COST OF $3700, with labor! And they can't just replace the valves because there may be more damage to the engine that would go unseen. As you can guess I am pretty pissed right now. I though maybe it would have been a minor problem, couple hundred bucks, whatever. How it became this catastrophic failure boggles my mind. Although it shouldn't surprise me with all the problems I've had with this car (more than just mechanical, I swear its cursed). So I'm at a loss right now with what to do. Chan, customer service extraordinaire is waiting for my call back. Any ideas? Look elsewhere for repairs? Sell it as is, part out? Motor swap is out of the question, I am finished with this car.

#45 ·
Change that sig.

Sorry Dude, beer, lots of it & call CSR back tomorrow after lunch.

#46 ·
I'm gonna see if they'll just replace the valves and leave it as is. Without the motor ever running I can't see there being and significant damage internally. Then its right across the street to trade that ***** in.

And beer is for celebrations. This is a dark day. Wheres my vodka...

#47 ·
If they won't do it; find a shop that will. 2nded on teh selling, sorry it wasn't a good car for you.

#48 ·
I can't see why they wouldn't do it. Chan said they left the motor apart till I call and having another shop do it involves me paying Nissan to button it up then get it towed, then having 2nd shop re-disassemble. Hell maybe I'll leave it at Nissan and look into one of those shiny 3.5 Alt coupes they got :cool: We'll see, I gotta think this thing through, unlike what I did when I bought the Spec (note: never buy a car you've never heard of right off the lot)

#51 ·
Dude if I had another car to get me from point a to b, I'd totally do it as a service to the board. But seeing as I have a 5 month old daughter and we're sharing a car with a very impatient father-in-law, a fix must happen soon, its been too long as it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.