B15 Sentra Forum banner

2012 Nissan Sentra 2.0 - Considering Purchase

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Mach5motorsport 
#1 ·

I have a 2002 Sentra GXE (1.8L, five-speed) that I purchased brand new exactly ten years ago today {how time flies} and it is still going strong with 125,000 miles on the clock. It is now my 'second car' since I purchased a "new to me" 2004 Silverado truck two years ago.

I am getting my '02 Sentra repainted (same color - Molten Silver) and will soon spend some hard-earned money getting it 'spruced up' a bit with new exhaust, new shocks/struts and another set of tires. My plan is to hand it down to my teenage son in another two years when he begins driving (Gasp!). No way he is getting a new car, but he'll get an old car that still looks and runs good.
;)

Meanwhile, I notice that I can get a VERY GOOD PRICE on a new 2012 Nissan Sentra 2.0L through my credit union. Ironically, it will only be about two grand more than my '02 was when I bought it new ten years ago -- thanks to incentives, rebates, etc., etc. The '07 to '12 Sentras are decent-looking cars and seem to be reliable; but they're getting a bit long in the tooth and I expect Nissan to revamp the Sentra for the 2013 model year.

I am not hell-bent on getting a new car right now (nor do I want a payment) and both of my current vehicles are paid off free & clear; but new car prices will probably take off like a rocket when the economy begins to turn back around. I could perhaps get a "low mileage" lease on a new 2012 if the terms were favorable, but I don't really need three vehicles and won't get squat for my '02 if I decided to sell it right now. {Don't even suggest dumping the truck, either - as I love it in every way except having to fill the gas tank.}

For those of you have a 2007 to 2011 (B16) Sentra, have they been good to you? Are they far better than the 2000 to 2006 version (B15)? The 2.0L is obviously more powerful & smoother than the 1.8L, but how good is the fuel mileage? My '02 gets 27 to 32 mpg in rather spirited driving conditions, but I have recorded as high as 36 mpg on a long trip.

Thanks for any and all opinions and replies!!

** HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU AND BEST WISHES FOR 2012!! **
:D

See less See more
#2 ·
New Sentra Not In The Cards

Well, I went and test-drove a 'base model' 2012 Sentra yesterday. To say that I was underwhelmed is an understatement. It wasn't exactly 'bad car' or anything like that, but the current design is a bit long in the tooth.

The 2.0 has MANUAL rear-view mirrors, 15-inch rims with plastic hubcaps, a mediocre AM-FM-CD stereo sytem, no cruise control and no map/reading lights. The sun visors don't even have mirrors or lights on them (as my '02 GXE does) and the steering wheel is made of that hard plastic material that conjures up images of a 1980s Buick or Oldsmobile.

The CVT automatic was would probably take some getting used to; but the car moved fast enough to get out of its own way. A six-speed manual, which is what I would prefer, was nonexistent in the dealer's inventory. The manual tranny is only available in the 'base' model, though; which doesn't offer cruise control. To get cruise, you must step up to the "S" trim level - nicer hubcaps & a few other amenities; but there is no six-speed available at all. Doh!

Sorry, Nissan......but I am not going all the way up to the expensive SPEC-V just to have an option for a six-speed with cruise control. The 'base' 2.0 was just a bit spartan for me. Guess my '02 will be my last Sentra for awhile. LOL!

On a related note, I test-drove a 2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS. Now that is a well-built car that offers myriad features that would cost $$$$ on a Sentra. Even though it is still a 1.8L, it felt much, much faster and more powerful than the 2.0L in the Sentra; and the Elantra has a six-speed automatic OR a six-speed manual (though there were none on the lot to see). The Koreans really did their homework and, although I like Nissans, the Sentra might as well be a Yugo in comparison to the new (re-done last year) Elantra.

I plan to look at a new Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic sedan -- but the Hyundai will probably be my next new car at this time. I can get a very good price on one through my credit union and a three-year lease appears to be my best option.
:D

P.S. That probably means I'll be repainting and 'sprucing up' my Sentra soon. I'll either hang onto it awhile or put her up for sale.....as I really don't need three cars in my driveway. Argh!

#3 ·
just for your comparison, you're comparing your GXE to a newer sentra, which would be an 'S' model equivalent. you should be comparing an XE to the sentra you drove, which is the lower model than GXE, or 'base model' with manual mirrors, hubcaps, etc.

6spd is only available in specv trim on a sentra, you shouldve had option for 5spd however.

#4 · (Edited)

I am aware that the 'base' model in 2012 is similar to the XE from 2002, although the '12 model has power windows & locks (the '02 XE had roll-up windows).

There is no more five-speed option for the Sentra. They have a six-speed manual transmission that comes standard in the 'base' model, but the "S" trim level is CVT-only. The only other six-speed is the SPEC-V. There is no cruise control on the base car, so (according the the sales rep) you don't get cruise control with a stick-shift. Yargh!

Truth be told, I just don't think the new Sentra is all that great - especially since the design is getting bit long in the tooth and competitive models are equipped better for the same amount of money (or even less). The new Elantra is simply amazing in comparison, but I have yet to look at a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla or Ford Fiesta.

P.S. The new Elantra GLS has four-wheel disc brakes (to rear drums in the Sentra), ABS, traction control, 16" alloy rims and cruise (nonexistent on the base Sentra). It costs slightly more, but the features & value seem to outweigh those on the Sentra.

P.P.S. It seems as though nobody wants to keep stick-shift cars in stock nowadays.

#5 ·
I haven't seen or heard a whiff about the replacement for the B16 Sentra Spec V for 2013...:confused:

#7 ·
I've been given a few of the 2011 and 2012 Sentra's as rentals here in Miami. I've been very underwhelmed by them. If I were looking for some new cheap wheels for a daily driver I'd be all over the new Kia Rio, Chevy Sonic or a Ford Fiesta. Seems for about the same price as the Sentra you can get a much more interesting vehicle.

#8 ·
I've been very underwhelmed by them.
Not to beat a dead horse, but the Versa shares the platform and there are tons of them on the road over the Sentra. Yeah, the current Sentra is a waste of space imo: Outsold by the Altima and Versa:eek:

The next gen has to be better.....right???????:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.