cheapest place to get a spare key made? - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum
B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

Go Back   B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum > 2002 - 2006 SE-R & SPEC-V Section > General Discussion

B15Sentra.net is the premier Nissan Sentra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
dragonfire2002

Garage
cheapest place to get a spare key made?

I was told because our keys have a chip in them that only the dealership can make spare keys. is this true? or is there a way to get past the dealership and their rediculous expence?Thanks, trying to save as much money as i can.
dragonfire2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
wickwackdj15

You can still get a key made without the chip but it's only going open the doors. Good to have invade u lock ur key in the car
wickwackdj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
i68k

Send a message via Yahoo to i68k
i know there are the keys on ebay which are a lot cheaper, however, they need to be programmed to your car
i68k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
dragonfire2002

Garage
yeah thats what i told em i wanted it for but they still wouldnt cut it. Lowes, nor walmart. so i went to a locksmith and he said he could cut it but not program it for $115-125. So i think im just gonna buy another keyless remote and keep it at home and have someone bring it to me if I lock my keys in.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
thesammy

Garage
If you only want to cut it, buy one off ebay for $12, and go to home depot. The guy cutting keys told me it wouldn't work with my car because it needs to be programmed (I knew that), I asked him to cut it anyway, I just needed to open doors. He ended up cutting it for free. Lol.

I did it to try in experiment:

More to come...
thesammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
03b15ser

I used a spare key to start my car and the black part doesn't look like the factory one at all
03b15ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
thesammy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03b15ser View Post
I used a spare key to start my car and the black part doesn't look like the factory one at all
This just means you don't have the NATS system.

If you dont have NATS, you don't need to program your key. There are a lot of different ideas on how to tell if you have NATS, and I'm not sure what's true now. But I believe if you have the little red blinking bulb on your dash (by the windshield on the passenger side) after you lock your car with your key FOB, you have NATS

More to come...
Old 03-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
dragonfire2002

Garage
so does that youtube vid work? if so im definately gonna order a key or two off ebay. i just wanna make sure i can program it. but if i cant oh well, just to have a set for emergency door opening is good! Thanks guys!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
thesammy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire2002 View Post
so does that youtube vid work? if so im definately gonna order a key or two off ebay. i just wanna make sure i can program it. but if i cant oh well, just to have a set for emergency door opening is good! Thanks guys!
In the video I was trying to use a non programmed key to start the car with my programmed key near the ignition. this did NOT work, as you can see. Lol.

The non programmed key is off ebay however. It was cut at home depot. Home depot doesn't usually carry keys this long in stock, another reasons they wouldn't cut a key for our cars, but if you bring the key they should be able to do it.

Also, the non programmed key supposedly has a transponder chip inside it ready to be programmed. I haven't confirmed this because my dealer still wants $120 for the 5 minutes it takes to program it. Lol. Programming the key can only be done with ConsultII, there is no diy method.

More to come...
Old 03-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
dragonfire2002

Garage
ok, i was at work and couldnt check the video out, but atleast i"ll have a spare lol!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
dragonfire2002

Garage
Hey do you still have your unprogrammed key? a guy ii worked with told me his dad did one on his monte carlo, and all he did was put the key in the ignition press lock unlock, lock on his key pad and it programmed it. could you try this for me? Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
i68k

Send a message via Yahoo to i68k
there are a fwe places to get the key cut for free. i know sears hardware and lowes will do it for you. usually they try to make you buy the key from them, but i doubt they have a nissan key for you, btw, hope you meant $1.15 - $1.25 to cut
i68k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
thesammy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire2002 View Post
Hey do you still have your unprogrammed key? a guy ii worked with told me his dad did one on his monte carlo, and all he did was put the key in the ignition press lock unlock, lock on his key pad and it programmed it. could you try this for me? Thanks
Still have it, and I can try it. I'm 99% sure it wont work though. Lol. Nissans are different

More to come...
Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #14
dragonfire2002

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesammy View Post
Still have it, and I can try it. I'm 99% sure it wont work though. Lol. Nissans are different
Yes they are lol! I've been reading around the web and i guess the only way to do it is with a consult 2 or 3.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
mikejs180

ACE Hardware makes keys with chips. I got it done and it only costs about $80 plus tax.
mikejs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: