HOW TO: Replace Front Wheel Bearings - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum
B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

Go Back   B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum > 2000-2006 B15 Nissan Sentra > Technical Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

B15Sentra.net is the premier Nissan Sentra Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
sticky667
touge king

Send a message via AIM to sticky667
Thumbs up HOW TO: Replace Front Wheel Bearings

this is a how to: for replacing a front wheel bearing without power tools or a press. hand tools only and 1 specialty tool from Autozone rented.

Autozone #27137 OEM/bushing driver tool set.

tools needed:
1/2" ratchet
32mm axle nut socket
34mm axle nut socket (optional)
two jack stands
14mm socket (sway bar end link nut)
17mm wrench and socket (strut bolts)
19mm wrench (tie rod, caliper mounting bolts)
22mm wrench or crescent wrench if you don't have a wrench that big (lower ball joint nut)
dikes (needle nose pliers to remove cotter pins)
hammer

I used a brand new OEM hub and bearing. take caution if you will reuse your old hub not to **** up the axle threads.

this is a fairly easy procedure if you take your time.

1. start with removing the center cap on the wheel and removing the big cotter pin.

2. use a 1/2" breaker bar or ratchet in my case as i didn't have my breaker bar with me. i also used the jack handle as leverage on the 32mm axle nut.

3. loosen lugs, jack the car up and remove the wheel

4. remove caliper mounting bolts and i normally just hang my caliper on the strut but you can bungie it or whatever. remove the rotor.

5. remove cotter pin from tie rod and loosen bolt. remove lower nut from sway bar end link. also loosen strut mounting bolts but don't remove them yet.

6. give the knuckle a few good wacks on the side of the tie rod to loosen it from the arm. you can also use a pickle fork if you have one. again i didn't have it with me.

7. remove strut mounting bolts now that you have the tie rod loose and remove the axle nut completely to push the axle out of the hub. DO NOT hammer on the end of the axle unless you want to **** up the threads and buy a new axle!

continued...

[03vbspec]i would eat a mile of her $hit just to see the hole it came out of...
(referring to vida guerra)

Last edited by sticky667; 12-03-2010 at 12:46 PM.
sticky667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
sticky667
touge king

8. now the hub is almost free and should be leaning towards you. remove the lower cotter pin and nut from the lower ball joint. again give the knuckle a few good wacks to loosen the ball joint.

9. now that you have the knuckle free you can move to the "workbench". i used two jackstands butted up against the tire with one foot holding the other stand to keep them from moving too much.
take your specialty tool and use the proper spacer and driver. wack the crap out of it until the hub falls through the bottom. living in socal means i usually don't need to use pb blaster or anything. you may need some.

10. after some cussing and crying from smacking your hand a few times, you should end up with something like this.

11. next you need to remove the snap ring holding the bearing in place. if you have snap ring pliers more power to you. i used a set of dikes and a screwdriver to wedge it out. don't use a hammer to drive a screwdriver into the hub.

12. now we are going to remove the bearing. use the 32mm axle socket upside with a stack of the spacers from the special tool box. they fit perfect

13. more hammering, crying and cussing and you should eventually get the bearing out.

14. i used a 1200 grit piece of sandpaper to lightly buff the bore to remove any crap inside of the knuckle.

15. pat yourself on the back. you're half way home!! take a break and have a glass of water.. or beer if you're into that kind of thing.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
sticky667
touge king

16. let's get this show on the road. place the bearing into the knuckle so it's level. DO NOT use grease or oil on the outside of the bearing to "help it slide in easier"

17. lightly tap it with a hammer around the outer edge of the bearing in a circular motion. i would recommend a bronze tip hammer, but i don't have one so i used a regular steel one. just be careful not to **** up the bearing. you don't need to smash it in, just light taps and it will begin to go down.

18. once it's flush with the knuckle you need to use the 32mm socket again with the stack of spacers. lightly tap it again to continue pressing the bearing in until it seats.

19. once it starts to make a dead blow sound you'll know it's seated. then you can install the snap ring.

20. next we're going to install the hub, place it in the bearing and try to make sure it's level. we're going to use a 34mm axle nut socket to press it in. the 32mm socket will probably work just as well but i used the larger 34mm because it fit the hub better to distribute the blows more evenly to the outside.

21. this is the view from the rear once the hub is seated.

22. congratulations!! you just saved yourself a load of duckets and learned something new.

23. lets get this thing back on the car. install is reverse of removal. make sure you remember those cotter pins on the lower ball joint and the tie rod. also don't forget to put the end link back in the control arm before you install the strut bolts, otherwise it will be more of a pain to leverage the control arm to get it back in if everything is back together.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
sticky667
touge king

24. all buttoned up and make sure to clean any greasy fingerprints off the rotor.

25. put the wheel back on and lower the car just enough to have the tire touching the ground. now we are going to tighten the axle nut. normally you would use a torque wrench and tighten it to like 150ft/lbs or something. mine was MIA so i just tightened it from experience.

26. you need to remove the wheel again so you can install the cotter pin. try to use new ones if possible. they are usually pretty brittle after one use. also make sure to widen the "hoop" if it's not big enough so it doesn't slip out.

27. there you have it!! you're done.

now go for a test drive and enjoy the serene sound of a quiet and properly functioning wheel bearing!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
sentra368

Excellent work, sticky667. Thank you for posting.

Last edited by sentra368; 12-18-2010 at 11:24 PM.
sentra368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: