Tired of long crank/start times. Want to fix. - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

post #1 of 14 Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
mizeR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tired of long crank/start times. Want to fix.

I'm tired of my car not starting after several seconds of cranking sometimes. I don't feel like priming the damn thing for 2 or 3 seconds every time. When I do that the stereo comes on, then goes off when I start it, then comes back on again, its annoying.

I know this is an old issue that effects damn near every b15 sentra. I was thinking of just getting a Walbro and putting it in to see if that helps but from reading the bulletin regarding long start/crank times it seems like its not the pump it's self but the fuel pressure regulator.

I was wondering who all else has tried to fix this problem and what has worked? You can get a Walbro 190 for less than $70, which would be nice, but it sounds like that might not do much. I went to Courtesy Nissan and the regulator it's self doesn't seem to be an available part. I've heard you can buy the "fix kit" from the bulletin from the dealership but its expensive. Anybody else here have any success nipping this problem in the bud, and doing so cheaply?

My old piece of junk rusty ugly 88 Buick Century starts instantly, first time every time without fail. Its driving me nuts that my 03 Sentra doesn't.

*edit*
Ok, apparently this is what you need to fix it?
http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-...-p-622217.html

$220 plus shipping for a piece of plastic that is a known failure point. Nissan can kiss the fattest part of my butt before they get that money from me. Guess I'll live with it for a while longer.

Last edited by mizeR; 08-19-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 PM
SentraCruzer

I bit the bullet and bought it thru courtesyparts. It was a special order part so took like over 2wks to get it. Looks like the price increased from the $220 I paid to $252! It's pretty lame you got to pay that much for an assy that isn't even completely new since you use some of the old assy parts from the busted up one. I have to say though that my Sentra now starts up everytime at the first crank. I guess for me the cost was worth the fustration. Pretty easy install too, took less than an hour.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
mizeR

(Thread Starter)
Yeah maybe one of these days when I have $250 burning a hole in my pocket and I don't feel like buying some beer with it I'll buy that instead. Its just frustrating that its basically a known defective part. Some people say that they put in the fix and it just keeps coming back every 20-40k miles.

Turns out I have a cousin who works at a local Nissan dealership and he said "Oh yeah, long crank? Most Nissans get that, cough up the $250 or just prime your pump every time." How horrible is that. Seems like there should be a better fix part and it should be cheaper, or there should be a recall.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-27-2010, 12:17 AM
OkToBeR
200,000?

Maybe I misread your post, but the Nismo FPR is only $171 at LeeParts: http://www.leeparts.com/nissan_sentr...regulator.html

2004 Sapphire SpecV - Injen intake, SR-S Header+midpipe, Kenwood head unit, NISMO wheels w/Kumho SPTs, and Thule roof rack (retired for now 150,000 miles)
How2-Brakes - How2-FrontLowerArms
2011 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport - replacement
post #5 of 14 Old 08-27-2010, 01:19 AM
MisterNuts
OGT in 92 from the 1st EP

Garage
Not sure if this would help, but worth a shot and costs $20: http://www.b15u.com/sentra-specific-...der-%2420.html

2005 Supercharged SpecV @ 10psi
post #6 of 14 Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
mizeR

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNuts View Post
Not sure if this would help, but worth a shot and costs $20: http://www.b15u.com/sentra-specific-...der-%2420.html
Neat thanks for the heads up.

Somebody else mentioned in that thread just get a Walbro 190 as they have a built in check valve and that also solves the problem too. If that is true I wouldn't mind spending $70 to replace my 7 year old factory unit with a better item that will also fix the problem. Anybody know? If not I'd gladly do this instead of giving Nissan $250 to replace a factory defect with another part that may do the same thing.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Slackoff01
I dont care, really

believe the A33 alitima pump is a drop in that will work as well, the walbro will take modification to make fit / work.

Would need o look up specifics tho to make sure PM if your really curious I have the info around here somewhere.

Also have you done the Cam / Crank sensor replacement as these can also contribute to long cranks...

Correction, sorry A33 Maxima pump. Double checked myself....my bad

02 BugEyE Wagon - Dog mover
05 legacy GT wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by txspeccer View Post
Did you recently have a lobotomy or something? You used to be fun, but now....not so much.

Last edited by Slackoff01; 08-29-2010 at 07:30 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
mizeR

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I replaced my CPS last year when the tach randomly just stopped working while I was driving down the road, heh.

As for modifying the housing a bit to make the Walbro fit, that doesn't bother me too much, I have a dremel tool and I'm pretty handy. But if the Altima pump fits and has a built in, non-faulty check valve I'm game for that too. Whichever is cheaper really.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 12:45 PM
smokeyV

Send a message via AIM to smokeyV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizeR View Post
I don't feel like priming the damn thing for 2 or 3 seconds every time..
your way too damn lazy.

put the key in, buckle your seatbelt, start it.

dont be a baby.

tsvb
tsvb facebook
Spec V Video Archive

03 Spec Bolted & Juiced
post #10 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
mizeR

(Thread Starter)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyV View Post
your way too damn lazy.

put the key in, buckle your seatbelt, start it.

dont be a baby.
Its not a question of laziness. Sometimes you just got out of the car for a minute and you're right back in. You expect to turn the key and for the car to start. Besides sometimes even after getting in, turning the key, putting on seatbelt then turning on the ignition it doesn't start right up. Occasionally I have to prime it twice.

Also when I turn the key to the on position the stereo and iPod come on, then when I start it they turn off for a minute, then turn back on. This occasionally crashes my iPod requiring that I unhook the thing, hard reboot it and then hook it back up. Besides, I don't think its too much to ask for a car that I bought brand new and have fastidiously maintained to start on the first time every time without having to be coddled. Now quit being lazy and fix your car, you irresponsible automobile owner.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Slackoff01
I dont care, really

A33 Pump ~195

02 BugEyE Wagon - Dog mover
05 legacy GT wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by txspeccer View Post
Did you recently have a lobotomy or something? You used to be fun, but now....not so much.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-10-2012, 04:50 AM
06d

post #13 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
NSANY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06d View Post
I haven't seen a full-on recall for this issue, just the TSB. The link below is from a site that does a pretty good job of aggregating recall and TSB info.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/280

04 B15 SE-R Spec V KY4
post #14 of 14 Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 AM
missing link

still question TSB

Last year when I had this problem I purchased a used (28K) fuel pump and it worked fine until recently (it now has 51K) on it. Priming is not always working at this point. Also it seems to happen when the car, not the engine, is hot like in the summer.
So I believe that the problem is the sending unit and this time I will buy a new one but one thing still bothers me. If the fuel leaks back down into the tank then why does it work fine in the morning or when it has been sitting for a long time. Seems like it should still have the cranking problem like it does when it is hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: