User Tag List

#1 Old 07-02-2009, 12:42 AM
King Spec-v
b15ner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation HELP!! dirty sludge in Intake MAnIfoLD??

So I was way over due for a new air filter. As I was cleaning it I decided to take my whole Nismo intake and clean it. As I took it off the manifold I noticed that there was a lot of dirt on the butterfly valve(idk whats the correct term)

Is this ok? As far as I know it should be super clean and dry.

I pushed the valve thingy in and on the other side there is like oil or something.

Im sure this is a problem. I have 3 questions:
what does this effect? Or what kind of problems can it cause?
How can I clean it?

Thanks for the advice!

This is the air filter I bought, Spectre oiled. I needed something asap and it was only $20 so yea.

Working on the Spec!

RIP(6/11/11)2006 Black SE-R Spec-V NISMO (wannabe)
Mods: NISMO Cold Air Intake and Suspension, MMI'S, Cuzo Ultra white bulbs, axxtion gen II STS, LEDs
2012 Black Scion XB HIDs, LEDs, BluePIAA DRL, tinted all around

Last edited by King Spec-v; 07-02-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2009, 01:58 AM
oh2_se_R

Send a message via Yahoo to oh2_se_R
Hey dude, very clean spec.
1. The sludge could be cause from your intake, do you wait at least 24 after you oil the filter, before using it (putting it on your car and driving your car). If not you should start doing that.
2. It's somewhat normal though, especially with an aftermarket cai, filter allows more flow because it's not as restricted as normal filter.
3. You can clean in using combustion chamber cleaner. I bought from a Dodge dealership it was like $6. Comes with instructions. You're gonna get a misfire code after you used the ccc (combustion chamber cleaner). Just get it erased and it wont bother you again.

Hopefully this helped man.

K and N Typhoon CAI, Greddy EVO2 catback exhaust, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, EBC Slotted rotors, EBC Red stuff brake pads, and B15SENTRA.NET stickers
#3 Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 AM
King Spec-v
b15ner

(Thread Starter)
Thanks!
Mmm 24hrs? no. loL!
Oh and I got a bypass valce and looking closely at it dirt can go in through there so ima take it off.
Hmm y does it give off misfire codes?

Thanks a lot man!

Mods: NISMO Cold Air Intake and Suspension, MMI'S, Cuzo Ultra white bulbs, axxtion gen II STS, LEDs
#4 Old 07-02-2009, 02:56 AM
oh2_se_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Spec-v
Thanks!
Mmm 24hrs? no. loL!
Oh and I got a bypass valce and looking closely at it dirt can go in through there so ima take it off.
Hmm y does it give off misfire codes?

Thanks a lot man!
You have to run your car at very low rpm's you have to keep it at like 1500-2000 rpm.

As soon as you start spray the ccc (it comes in foam/aerosol form) you're rpms drop so you give it gas to keep it at 1500-2000rpm. Your car is gonna shake and sound like it's about to die, don't worry it's normal. Just keep spraying your throttle body (make sure to spray in a circle motion) until you finish the can. Turn your car off, and let it hang out for like 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes, turn your car on and rev the living hell out of it. It's gonna smoke like crazy (white smoke, it's all the crap in your combustion chamber, CAT, and exhaust). Once the smoke stop coming out of your exhaust it's all done and you're good to go. (good way to see if you have an exhaust leak too lol)

-Because the foam is causing the car to misfire a little, and since our knock sensors are sensitive they trip and set a code.

K and N Typhoon CAI, Greddy EVO2 catback exhaust, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, EBC Slotted rotors, EBC Red stuff brake pads, and B15SENTRA.NET stickers
#5 Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 AM
SERformance

Sounds like sea-foam... in a spray can. Perfect

2006 spec-v w/ brembo. Mods: Custom dynomax exhaust, 2* time advance, custom ram-air, gutted rear interior. 1/4 = 14.655 @94.78mph Why own a vehicle capable of so much if you're just going to cruise at 65?
#6 Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 AM
orangelloSE-R
geezinondowntheroad

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't think it is wise to manually manipulate the throttle plate like that. Have you noticed that hose from the valve cover to the intake; have you considered that the "air" coming through there is very nasty & usually has some oil spray in it.

I'd suggest a careful cleaning of the throttle body with an appropriate spray cleaner.

I prefer the $40 dryflow filter from AEM, no oil required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
I was just thinking....I've owned Nissan products built in each of the last 4 decades (70's -- 00's.) That is pretty cool. I honestly don't know why I have owned so many Nissan products. They are like herpes....they keep popping up in your life.
2002 SE-R 5 speed
#7 Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 AM
SportE-B15
SR20DE

I cleaned my throtle body with spray bought from the auto supply store.
The instructions call for it to be done while the car is off. Use a rag to catch the run off and just spray liberally on them, around them and inside the TB. Then wipe down with the rag. Let it dry and install your CAI. The car will stall a bit but it will fire.

I do this once a year.

SportE-B15 MY CAR My 85 El Camino
01 Blackout SE 5spd wP/P
Weapon R header, VRS 2.5" catback, short ram intake w/K&N, 03 Spec-V Front end.
06 Spec-V wheels, 6,000k HID, Nismo LTB, Greddy trunk bar
#8 Old 07-02-2009, 10:29 AM
txspeccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangelloSE-R
the "air" coming through there is very nasty & usually has some oil spray in it.
Which is why some people install oil catch cans, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman0605 View Post
oh B15sentra Banned Me For No Reason Again And Its Ok Wit Me Because I Guess I Got To Be White In Order To Be Like And Talk Like Im White Too. u have the very lack of KNOWDELGE. So get cha mind right FOOLS...
#9 Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 AM
oh2_se_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportE-B15
I cleaned my throtle body with spray bought from the auto supply store.
The instructions call for it to be done while the car is off. Use a rag to catch the run off and just spray liberally on them, around them and inside the TB. Then wipe down with the rag. Let it dry and install your CAI. The car will stall a bit but it will fire.

I do this once a year.

I haven't used this, he spray I was taking about also cleans the inside of the intake manifold, and the combustion chamber, if the sludge is on/in the throttle body it's also inside the engine

#10 Old 07-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Sebba
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Sebba Send a message via MSN to Sebba Send a message via Skype™ to Sebba
Just get some carb cleaner or a strong solvent.
#11 Old 07-03-2009, 07:18 PM
King Spec-v
b15ner

(Thread Starter)
Bought this Gumout Air intake & Throttle Body Cleaner. Says spray the car, while its on, for 10 sec directly to the throttle body then wait for 10 sec and repeat process. For some reason my dad sayin he dont recommend spraying it directly. Can I it get f up?

#12 Old 07-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Specvay

Send a message via AIM to Specvay Send a message via Yahoo to Specvay
do a fuel system service.......it cleans ur injector and valves and intake realli well. and all the carbon build up. it suppose to b done every 15k. i bought one of these iv valve and made this myselffor car to b able to do a real fuel system service thru a vaccum line goin in to the intake. hard to explain wat it is here some pics. the valve allow u to control how fast u allow it to go in the car

#13 Old 07-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Jason0305

^^ That looks like a cheap beer bong to me...

I like the idea of the CCC. Seafoam in a can! I did a seafoam treatment to my mazda at 160k miles, and it's ran better thEn ever! To the op... your IM is a hell of a lot cleaner then mine!
#14 Old 07-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Specvay

Send a message via AIM to Specvay Send a message via Yahoo to Specvay
this thing work great and it safe. intake manifold is spotless and valve are carbon free!
#15 Old 07-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Jason0305

hey! as long as it does the job right

spec-v sentra. 03 body 05 motor.
1994 mazda mx6.. "modded"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: