Flashing Service Engine Light - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
post #1 of 61 Old 05-09-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
shadyridr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Flashing Service Engine Light

Ok I have a 2003 Sentra SE-R with 48000 miles. I got the crankshaft position sensor replaced about 2 months ago because my car started stalling. After I got it replaced I found it that there was an actually a recall done to replace this and now Im working with Nissan to get reimbursed. This leads to my new problem-

About 3 weeks ago I was driving on the highway and my SEL started flashing on and off and my car started gently shaking. I pulled over and the SEL stopped flashing and turned off. After that my car was driving fine. After some research I found that a flashing SEL means that the engine is misfiring. So I bought it to a local mechanic and he said he ran it on the computer and no codes were coming up. I told him to keep a few days and test it out and the car was fine. Since then I havent had any problems until today...

Today the same exact thing happened, car started gently shaking, SEL flashing and after about 30 seconds it stopped flashing and turned off and my car felt fine.

1. Any ideas what the problem can be?
2. Any chance its related to the Crankshaft Position Sensor I replaced?
3. Should I bring it to a new mechanic and hopefully they can run it on the comp and get the codes?
4. Ive never replaced the spark plugs, dist cap, wires, etc. Should I just get a tuneup?

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 05-09-2009, 08:01 PM
orangelloSE-R
geezinondowntheroad

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Flashing SES means you need to stop & figure it out, IMO. Have you checked the error code stored by the SES light?

check out this thread: http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76692
Alternatively, most autozones will check the code for you. Do not delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
I was just thinking....I've owned Nissan products built in each of the last 4 decades (70's -- 00's.) That is pretty cool. I honestly don't know why I have owned so many Nissan products. They are like herpes....they keep popping up in your life.
2002 SE-R 5 speed
post #3 of 61 Old 05-09-2009, 09:39 PM
SPECtacular B15
2003 SE-R Spec V

Check the spark plugs. I had the same problem. One spark plug was fowled (carbon deposits on tip). I changed it and it fowled again. It was a bad coil pack.
post #4 of 61 Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
shadyridr

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangelloSE-R
Flashing SES means you need to stop & figure it out, IMO. Have you checked the error code stored by the SES light?

How do I figure it out? Unlike most people on these boards I dont know much about cars? There was no error code, thats what the mechanic told me.
post #5 of 61 Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Bacon973

i had this problem and it was a bad injector. it may be a few things... or one of the few. check plugs, then check coils, then if those are fine, check injectors.

Forum Wheel whore
Stock 02's/gxe's/04-06's/02 g20 sports/g20 meshies/ 18 te37 volks/17 silver nismo's/16 Advan sa3r/xxr 521 16x8
post #6 of 61 Old 05-09-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
shadyridr

(Thread Starter)
I read the thread you linked to get the code. 0000 = No Malfunction WTF man
post #7 of 61 Old 05-09-2009, 10:11 PM
birrdmaan6

i have had this issue in the past and a misfire definitely seems to be the winner... when i had the problem i took out my coilpacks, cleaned the connections, and swapped them around. thats as far as i had to go and no problem since then. it might not be just that but if u see something out of the ordinary like a closed gap on the spark plug it is a bad sign...if u dont feel comfortable doing this then definitely have a mechanic look at it. a misfire is nothing to delay. good luck man

2003 Aztec Red SE-R "Spec"ial "V"ersion
AEM SRI/XS Power Header+Midpipe+Racepipe/Vibrant Cat-Back Exhaust/TBS/ES MMI's/HID's-Heads(8000k bi-xenon) & Fogs (3000k), Goodyear F1 GS-D3's, 17in Kazera KZ-K's, High-Flow Cat, MTX Audio (Amp & 12in Sub), Pioneer(Stereo unit), Infinity(6 Speakers)
post #8 of 61 Old 05-10-2009, 12:47 PM
06chill

its definatly a missfire but you need to figure out if its a multi cyl missfire p0300 or if its a certain cyl like p0302 or 303. you may need to check your plugs and check your coolant bottle to see if its a headgasket. there are lots of caused for missfires you need to get a code from the system. plugs arent due to be replaced for 105k miles so unless something else caused a fouled plug that is unlikely. get the code

05 Wrx Wagon- tint all around. swiss intake system. pioneer indash navi. rockford p300 amp and typ r 10" sub. custom short shifter. AwD burnouts FTW
post #9 of 61 Old 05-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Black B15

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangelloSE-R

Orangello gave the only response that makes sense so far.....

If your SES light is flashing that means you have an active issue. You need to get the car into diagnostic mode so you can figure out what the problem is. If the car is not in diagnostic mode......it will probably just flash the 0000 that you are getting. I didn't follow the link orangey posted....but I would bet that is the best place to start.

2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
post #10 of 61 Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Black B15

From that thread.

From User Mode to Diagnosis Mode:
Diagnosis mode activates only when a malfunction is detected, by turning the ingition switch as follows:
1. Turn ignition switch "ON".
2. After "AIR BAG" warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn ignition switch "OFF" within 1 second.
3. Wait more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 three times.
5. Turn ignition switch "ON".
SRS will enter Diagnosis mode, if no malfunction is detected.

From Diagnosis Mode to User Mode:
After a malfunction is repaired, turn ignition switch "OFF" for at least one second, then back "ON". Diagnosis mode is returned to User Mode.
If Switching Diagnosis mode to User mode is required while malfunction is being detected, turn ignition switch as follows:
1. Turn ignition switch "ON".
2. After "AIR BAG" warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn ignition switch "OFF" within one second.
3. Wait more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 three times.
5. Turn ignition switch "ON".

post #11 of 61 Old 05-10-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
shadyridr

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black B15
Orangello gave the only response that makes sense so far.....

If your SES light is flashing that means you have an active issue. You need to get the car into diagnostic mode so you can figure out what the problem is. If the car is not in diagnostic mode......it will probably just flash the 0000 that you are getting. I didn't follow the link orangey posted....but I would bet that is the best place to start.
Thats just the thing. Its not always flashing. It only flashed for like 15 seconds and then hasnt flashed in 3 weeks again until last night and its also stopped in like 15 seconds. I tried putting it in diagnostic mode and nothing is happening.
post #12 of 61 Old 05-10-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
shadyridr

(Thread Starter)
Diagnosis mode activates only when a malfunction is detected,
SRS will enter Diagnosis mode, if no malfunction is detected.

post #13 of 61 Old 05-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Black B15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyridr
Thats just the thing. Its not always flashing. It only flashed for like 15 seconds and then hasnt flashed in 3 weeks again until last night and its also stopped in like 15 seconds. I tried putting it in diagnostic mode and nothing is happening.
Hmmm. Do you have any Autozone or any similiar parts store close to you? They can hook it up and read the error codes from the memory...and it will tell you what it is going on.

That is probably your best bet...as it sounds like your problem kind of comes and goes.

post #14 of 61 Old 05-10-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
shadyridr

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black B15
Hmmm. Do you have any Autozone or any similiar parts store close to you? They can hook it up and read the error codes from the memory...and it will tell you what it is going on.

That is probably your best bet...as it sounds like your problem kind of comes and goes.
I can try. The guy who I brought it to said he checked the memory and nothing came up
post #15 of 61 Old 05-11-2009, 12:23 PM
orangelloSE-R
geezinondowntheroad

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have heard of MAF failures that didn't record a code, but that doesn't fit the symptoms very well. Buy some MAF cleaner & clean that on the off chance that it could be dirty either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
I was just thinking....I've owned Nissan products built in each of the last 4 decades (70's -- 00's.) That is pretty cool. I honestly don't know why I have owned so many Nissan products. They are like herpes....they keep popping up in your life.
2002 SE-R 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: