Air Conditioner Recharge - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum
User Tag List

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
#1 Old 08-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Poppinj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Air Conditioner Recharge

So I live in the desert and my 06 spec has never had the air conditioner recharged. I had a buddy do it today with some 134a+ articfreeze something or another that I've had laying around for like 2 yrs. After he recharges it I start driving home and the air conditioner sucks. I figure its just to hot, and indeed it does start to cool after I start cruzing, but the car is really jerky, kinda like the A/compressor is kicking on and off, especially in the high 2000 RPM range. After I come to a stop the compressor fells like it shuts of completely sometimes. It's blatently obvious when the compressor is on because the car bogs down, and it just seems like its not staying on for very long, and only after I'm going like 35 mph. I don't know why its not on nonstop.

Does the compressor turn off when it gets too hot, or when you come to a stop, like some sort of safety feature or something? My after market header has no heat shields which I'm sure heats it up. Do I have to wait a while for the recharge to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo_V
The only thing worse than the bad smell is the bad smell with mountain fresh-spring time-vanilla-cherry-strawberry-flower meadow on top of it.
http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=78065
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Jeff Kleb
2002 Sentra GXE Owner

Just wild speculation....but is there a chance that he overcharged it? Besides, why would an '06 need refrigerant anyway? My '02 with 95,000 miles and seven summer seasons has never been touched.

I think I'll make it another two months to get through this season, but am going to have to "recharge it" come Spring of 2009. Wal-Mart sells this stuff for less than $20 that is supposed to recharge any R134(a) automotive sytem.

Try using the "Tech" forum, as there may be some mechanics lurking there. Best of luck to you!!

2002 Sentra GXE in Molten Silver; 1.8L, 5-speed, Synergy Package. In 2012, it was repainted, had new struts installed, new head gasket, new water pump, new spark plugs, new sensors, and new belts & hoses. 150,000+ "original owner" miles.
#3 Old 08-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Poppinj

(Thread Starter)
I dunno anything about recharging an a/c system. He said it wouldn't hurt to put the can I had into the system since I had one laying around. I'm not sure if you could overcharge it cuz there is nothing pumping refrigerant into they system. Its just the pressure in the can. When he pulled the can off all the excess left in the can of refrigerant spewed out.

Quote:
The only thing worse than the bad smell is the bad smell with mountain fresh-spring time-vanilla-cherry-strawberry-flower meadow on top of it.
#4 Old 08-09-2008, 08:19 PM
sje0123
1st Pwner of B15sentra

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sje0123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinj
I dunno anything about recharging an a/c system. He said it wouldn't hurt to put the can I had into the system since I had one laying around. I'm not sure if you could overcharge it cuz there is nothing pumping refrigerant into they system. Its just the pressure in the can. When he pulled the can off all the excess left in the can of refrigerant spewed out.
If the remaining refrigerant came spewing out the guy has no friggin clue. The can has a valve on it so what's left doesn't come out. That stuff isn't good for you or the environment. Don't let this guy touch your car again.

Sentra is Gone!
#5 Old 08-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Poppinj

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sje0123
If the remaining refrigerant came spewing out the guy has no friggin clue. The can has a valve on it so what's left doesn't come out. That stuff isn't good for you or the environment. Don't let this guy touch your car again.
No, this was a can with no valve, I think. You screw the pointy part of the hose into the can to make it puncture the top. Like this one
http://www.zakproducts.com/clientupl...tore/AC110.jpg

Quote:
#6 Old 08-09-2008, 09:13 PM
sje0123
1st Pwner of B15sentra

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sje0123
The pointy part that you screw in is the valve. You turn it in to puncture it, let it out to release then turn it back in to close.

Sentra is Gone!
#7 Old 08-09-2008, 09:27 PM
P.P.H.

you need a guage to know if your system is low or high. find one then go from there.
#8 Old 08-09-2008, 09:34 PM
SoonToBeASpec
Cheers and Beers!

Send a message via AIM to SoonToBeASpec Send a message via Yahoo to SoonToBeASpec
Uh ... this guy has no clue. Don't let him work on your A/C system anymore.

Yes you can OVER charge a system.
Yes you can UNDER charge a system.

Look at your A/C system as two parts. A High side, and a Low side. The high side is FROM the compressor (called high side because it is compressed). Freon from the comp. is in liquid state as it runs through the condenser. Once it passes the accumulator and enters the expansion valve it becomes part 2, the LOW side. In the low side (after the txv) the freon changes to a gas as it passes through the evaporator and back to the compressor.

If your system is OVER charged, it will not cool right because it cannot efficiently convert the liquid to a gas, circulate and repeat.

If your system is UNDER charged, it will ice up the evap. There will not be an efficient gas / liquid ratio (opposite of an over charge).

the only way to tell what your A/C system is actually doing is to hook an accurate gauge set up to the high and low side.

Also, a general rule of thumb is a 20 degree split. The average ac unit can cool an area to about 20 degrees below ambient temp. So if its 116 outside, dont expect it to be 65 in your car.

2oo3 SE-R Spec V
2oo8 Mazda 3S - Grand Touring
2oo5 Pathfinder SE Off-Road
2oo8 Ford 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemui_panda
i'd rather live in national debt then with canadians
#9 Old 08-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Poppinj

(Thread Starter)
Ok thanks. I'll take my car to the hobby shot tomorrow and ask the mechanic to hook a gauge up. If the car is overcharged will it blow a gasket or do any harm, or just not cool efficiently? If it is overcharged, is there a way to let some of the 134a out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeASpec
Uh ... this guy has no clue. Don't let him work on your A/C system anymore.

Yes you can OVER charge a system.
Yes you can UNDER charge a system.

Look at your A/C system as two parts. A High side, and a Low side. The high side is FROM the compressor (called high side because it is compressed). Freon from the comp. is in liquid state as it runs through the condenser. Once it passes the accumulator and enters the expansion valve it becomes part 2, the LOW side. In the low side (after the txv) the freon changes to a gas as it passes through the evaporator and back to the compressor.

If your system is OVER charged, it will not cool right because it cannot efficiently convert the liquid to a gas, circulate and repeat.

If your system is UNDER charged, it will ice up the evap. There will not be an efficient gas / liquid ratio (opposite of an over charge).

the only way to tell what your A/C system is actually doing is to hook an accurate gauge set up to the high and low side.

Also, a general rule of thumb is a 20 degree split. The average ac unit can cool an area to about 20 degrees below ambient temp. So if its 116 outside, dont expect it to be 65 in your car.

Quote:
#10 Old 08-09-2008, 10:43 PM
SR20DE_MAN
Canyon junkie! ( ^o^) <3

Send a message via AIM to SR20DE_MAN Send a message via MSN to SR20DE_MAN Send a message via Yahoo to SR20DE_MAN
http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=...&uid=213551321

http://www.id-usa.com/video/aug04/sy...Media-DSL).wmv

^ You can do it yourself as well. Follow the instructions on that site. It applies to a Miata, but it's pretty much the same thing for a Sentra. You can get that can at Pep Boys.

Make sure that you do the low pressure line with the blue cap. It should be the one on the passenger side of the engine bay. The big fat metal line.

Former 2000 Nissan Sentra SE owner. Now I drive a little & underpowered "girly" NA8C car that can own many big & overpowered "manly" cars on a good chunk of canyon roads & road courses. Go NA8C! \(^o^ ) <3
#11 Old 08-09-2008, 11:02 PM
6th-speed
SOPHROSYNE

I was told before that you don't need to recharge the AC unless it has a leak,since it's a closed circuit that would make sense.
Why would a 06 need a AC recharge ? It's not covered under warranty ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Cold facts about my NISSAN:Brakes lived for 63K miles ,engine replaced @ 62K miles
No respect or love for Nissan and QR25 from me.
Currently a happy owner of 2008 Honda Accord.
#12 Old 08-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Poppinj

(Thread Starter)
I really dont know much about air conditioning systems. I just know that the heat out here is brutal to cars during the summer. Alot of A/C's just struggle to keep up even when they're brand new. Its fairly common practice around here to "top off" refrigerant. I just figured it wouldn't hurt anything. I'm gonna go to my hobby shot tomarrow to clean the air filter on my cold air because it makes it feel like a brand new car. The idle slowly gets rougher and rougher but after cleaning the filter you cant even tell the car is on. Its just so freakin dusty around here it clogs up pretty quick. They will have a gauge there I'm sure and I can check for free. I'll see if thats the problem. I went outside after my car had cooled off completely and it worked fine. I think the car was just hot earlier. I dunno.

Quote:
#13 Old 08-10-2008, 08:10 AM
6th-speed
SOPHROSYNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinj
I really dont know much about air conditioning systems. I just know that the heat out here is brutal to cars during the summer. Alot of A/C's just struggle to keep up even when they're brand new. Its fairly common practice around here to "top off" refrigerant. I just figured it wouldn't hurt anything. I'm gonna go to my hobby shot tomarrow to clean the air filter on my cold air because it makes it feel like a brand new car. The idle slowly gets rougher and rougher but after cleaning the filter you cant even tell the car is on. Its just so freakin dusty around here it clogs up pretty quick. They will have a gauge there I'm sure and I can check for free. I'll see if thats the problem. I went outside after my car had cooled off completely and it worked fine. I think the car was just hot earlier. I dunno.
Advise: SIR,STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE,JUST DRIVE AND LET PROFESSIONAL DEAL WITH THE PROBLEMS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Cold facts about my NISSAN:Brakes lived for 63K miles ,engine replaced @ 62K miles
No respect or love for Nissan and QR25 from me.
Currently a happy owner of 2008 Honda Accord.
#14 Old 08-10-2008, 09:04 AM
2001se2.0
Swagnificent

Last recharge I did I also added oil to the low pressure system (not on the Sentra, this was a 96 Civic). A good charge means nothing if the system isn't lubricated.

2000 Sentra SE 2.0 Black (Manual)
--17" Katana wheels w/ 205/40-ZR17--JIC-Magic FLT-A2 Coilovers--Drilled/Slotted Rotors--Cold Air Intake--SE-R Headlights--DashZ Tails

RIP-2001 Sentra SE 2.0 - Blackout (AKA Faded Glory)
#15 Old 08-10-2008, 11:12 AM
sr20desentre

Yea my uncle has a license to use R12 refrigerant and a134, and it does seem like it is more than likely overcharged, when ever you recharge it there should always be some gauge that gives you the pressure that's in the lines, id be careful cause I remember we ended up trashing my sisters civic AC compressor like that. Hey I thought R12 was the one that was bad for the environment, which is why they switched over to the 134?

"NO2 is like a hot girl with aids, you wanna tap that, but your afraid of the consequences " ....if Nissan Motorsports is NISMO does that mean that Honda Motorsports is HOMO???

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: