Broken Dipstick on 1.8 - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum
User Tag List

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
#1 Old 11-01-2007, 09:09 AM
2000SR20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Broken Dipstick on 1.8

Well, my sister "claims" that the last time she took the car to Jiffy Lube that they told her that her dip stick was missing. I told her to drive down to the local dealer, buy a new one, and I'll "install" it for her. So she came by yesterday for the "installation" and when I look, the old dipstick is broken off and shoved down into the dipstick tube! It seems as if the Jiffy Lube idiots broke her old dipstick and shoved it down as far as it'll go trying to retrieve it. Has anyone had any issues with this and/or methods of retrieving the dipstick to install a new one? It seems like the platic handle cracked becuase there is still plastic at the top of the stuck dipstick. I would say that it is about 4-5" down the tube. No needle nose pliers, etc will be able to grab it.

Any ideas? I know my VW has a plastic dipstick tube that is removeable...can the dipstick tube on the 1.8 be removed (thus removing the dipstick along with it)?

2000 Nissan Sentra SE 2.0 w/PP - sold to JP
2007 Mercedes Benz R350 4MATIC - Kid Mobile
1991 Civic Si - 127.5HP/114.6ft-lbs - 1960lbs!! - AX/Track ho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2007, 09:10 AM
MN01GXE
Owner

Send a message via AIM to MN01GXE Send a message via MSN to MN01GXE Send a message via Yahoo to MN01GXE
The tube can be removed...try a shop-vac or something similar first.

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 Z71
02 SE-R - Konig Traffiks w/ Azenis RT-615, Nismo FSB, Tanabe Sustec 4pt Brace, Nismo hard rubber bushings, Tarmaq RTB, //TMS CB, Injen CAI, fuel filler cap holder
01 GXE (autox #365) - 91.9whp - RIP 02/06/2007
#3 Old 11-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Mvch1ne

you know, i had this problem not too long ago. the metal tubing that holds the dipstick can be removed and replaced, giving you enough slack when removed to take away the broken dipstick.
#4 Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 AM
PaultheItalian

When my dipstick broke I cleaned up the top of the dip-stick tube then duct taped my shopvac nozzle onto it and it came right out.

2002 Radium GXE: Stereo, Mach 1, FSTB, TWM shifter, HKS catback, Gen. 3 Ksports, Spec-v headlights, Tint, Blue bat overlays, 6000k Bi-HID's, Yellow Fogs, 17" Konig Runaway wheels, OEM skirts
#5 Old 11-01-2007, 02:02 PM
2000SR20

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaultheItalian
When my dipstick broke I cleaned up the top of the dip-stick tube then duct taped my shopvac nozzle onto it and it came right out.
I think i'm going to try this route as it seems like the platic portion with the o-ring is still in there. If not then I'll have to go the route of pulling out the dipstick tube.

2000 Nissan Sentra SE 2.0 w/PP - sold to JP
2007 Mercedes Benz R350 4MATIC - Kid Mobile
1991 Civic Si - 127.5HP/114.6ft-lbs - 1960lbs!! - AX/Track ho
#6 Old 11-01-2007, 03:10 PM
BrianRitchie

Send a message via AIM to BrianRitchie
I swear i read on another thread here that the plastic "puller" can actually melt off.

Hyundai master technician. Nissan enthusiast. 04 Sentra 1.8S 5 speed, 06 G35 6 speed
#7 Old 11-01-2007, 03:46 PM
IcedC
Auf Deutschland

Garage
Send a message via AIM to IcedC
common problem its not jiffy lubes fault (this time) repeated heating and cooling causes the plastic part of the dipstick to become brittle

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/sear...archid=1471156

Import Cars and American Trucks!
AYBABTU
Pics of my QG
My Space.com/IcedC
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100
I hereby classify you as Genius material-you get it.
#8 Old 11-01-2007, 04:02 PM
orangelloSE-R
geezinondowntheroad

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jen@WestCovina indicated in some thread that the design had been improved. If mine breaks, i'm getting the NISMO model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
I was just thinking....I've owned Nissan products built in each of the last 4 decades (70's -- 00's.) That is pretty cool. I honestly don't know why I have owned so many Nissan products. They are like herpes....they keep popping up in your life.
2002 SE-R 5 speed
#9 Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Lil-j
Prefessional Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to Lil-j
find a long narrow piece of plastic(such as from a model airplane kit). Get a lighter and set an end of the plastic on fire, blow it out and shove it down the tube before the plastic cools. The metly, yes I said melty, end will stick to the broken end of the dipstick long enough to pull it out. This way you dont have to mess around with pulling off the tube.

2001 nissan sentra car.(SOLD with 83,740 on the odometer $4000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminusv
wanna play army? I'll lay on the ground and you can blow the hell out of me!
#10 Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 PM
GREEN01GXE

Send a message via AIM to GREEN01GXE
this actually happened to me TWICE! the first time I tried the vaccum trick and the glue/pencil trick to no avail. I ended up removing the whole dipstick tube with a slide hammer and vice-grips, you wouldn't belive how tough it was to get that sucker out (I think they use some type of super-sealant on it at the factory).

well I heard that Nissan addressed this common failure issue with an improved dipstick so I checked with Nissan and found that there was a new part number for the dipstick. I ordered a new one and used it for about 2 months before low and behold, it breaks off again.

the second time happened to me I was able to remove the broken off dipstick like this:
Detach and plug the PCV hose/port on your intake or valve cover
spray a little WD-40 or PBlaster into the dipstick tube
remove the oil filler cap
use a clean rag to seal an air blower directly into the crankcase
blast that SOB out of there (you want to be ready to catch it when it comes out)

what a GIANT PITA

now I keep the dipstick in my trunk and only *carefully* use it when I change my oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotenfs
.. the question is.. will the engine tough that bigger combustion?
#11 Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Lil-j
Prefessional Lurker

^^^^holey hell^^^^^

I think my method is
A. faster
B. easier
C. much safer for the engine

trust me, try what I said, you'll be suprised how easy it is... bye the way, it make a few times, it's gotta have enough to stick to, if you dont hit it square enough, it wont stick. just try again. this way you have anything going in the engine that aint supposed to be there

Quote:
#12 Old 11-02-2007, 12:55 AM
GREEN01GXE

Its a good method no doubt,

but what happens when you push the dipstick farther in? get a longer probe I suppose?

what if your melty probe sticks to the inside of the tube instead of the top of the dipstick?

Quote:
#13 Old 11-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Lil-j
Prefessional Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN01GXE
Its a good method no doubt,

but what happens when you push the dipstick farther in? get a longer probe I suppose?

what if your melty probe sticks to the inside of the tube instead of the top of the dipstick?
1. the dip stick can only go so far, I found that by actually doing it.

2. your not gonna shove the dipstick into the engine block! I think the lenght
of plastic I ended up using, after the stick stopped going further in, was 4 inches.

3.This isnt a flaming marshmallow at a campfire dude, I would think you would figure out not to liquify the plastic. Oh, and if by chance the melty probe does stick to inside of the tube.....PULL IT OUT!!!!!! It's unlikely that once plastic cools, it wont stick to oil coated meatal, and it takes about....3 seconds for it to cool enough.....Besides, it's better than spraying WD-40 into your oil, and WD-40 is water based, then blasting AIR from a compressor, which by the way, has moisture in it, through the engine!!!!! My wife would know better than that

Quote:
#14 Old 11-02-2007, 01:35 AM
GREEN01GXE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil-j
1Besides, it's better than spraying WD-40 into your oil, and WD-40 is water based, then blasting AIR from a compressor, which by the way, has moisture in it, through the engine!!!!! My wife would know better than that
settle down a little homie

WD-40 Main ingredients, from the material safety data sheet, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, also commonly known as dry cleaning solvent)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients
(from wiki)

and also, if your air compressor blows out moisture something is wrong with it. (when you compress air, the moisture condenses out. thats why your defroster uses the A/C compressor to dry moisture off your windshield.

as for the aircompressor method, I'll be the first to admit its a little shady. let it be known though that its popular among nissan technicians, one of which was the person who originally published it on this forum (not that I particularly trust nissan techs).

Quote:
#15 Old 11-02-2007, 01:42 AM
Lil-j
Prefessional Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN01GXE
settle down a little homie

WD-40 Main ingredients, from the material safety data sheet, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, also commonly known as dry cleaning solvent)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients
(from wiki)

and also, if your air compressor blows out moisture something is wrong with it. (when you compress air, the moisture condenses out. thats why your defroster uses the A/C compressor to dry moisture off your windshield.

as for the aircompressor method, I'll be the first to admit its a little shady. let it be known though that its popular among nissan technicians, one of which was the person who originally published it on this forum (not that I particularly trust nissan techs).
nissan techs taught you that!?? that explains that.....but come on!!! air in the engine???!!!

Quote:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: