Gear Shifting Problems & Blinking Overdrive Light - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum
User Tag List

#1 Old 02-21-2007, 08:57 PM
spam33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Gear Shifting Problems & Blinking Overdrive Light

Hey everybody,

I'm having a little problem with my 2000 GXE. It only happened to me once about 6 months ago, but has happened three times this week and I'm starting to get worried.

I hop in the car, crank the ignition, and start driving. I have to press the pedal down pretty far to get the car moving, and the shifting is completely off. It almost feels as if I'm driving with overdrive turned off, yet the light is not lit. The fix to this is to stop the car, cut off the ignition, wait a couple seconds, and restart. After doing this the car starts just fine, and the overdrive light blinks for about 10 seconds. When that's done, I drive off, and everything works just fine.

Any thoughts? I have 106,000 miles and automatic transmission. Been pretty regular on getting the car serviced, but I know it is time for a transmission fluid change.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2007, 11:38 PM
05redser
I AM THE KING

Send a message via AIM to 05redser
Have you checked your tranny fluid yet?

SRT-12.207@117.094 with a boo-boo 2.158 60ft-SOLD
05 Spec V Turbo 12.86@107.7 with a 2.03 60FT-SOLD
99 Corolla DD beast
#3 Old 02-22-2007, 09:55 PM
spam33

(Thread Starter)
I know for a fact that I'm in need of a tranny flush, but I guess I'm wondering if that could be what's causing the problem, or could it possibly be some sort of electrical issue?
#4 Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 AM
05redser
I AM THE KING

I deal with alot of older cars that have been donated (I work at a car auction) and alot of the times the reason they were donated was because of tranny problems well at least the customer says.... I put some tranny fluid in it and bam... Perfect... Im saying you are incompetent (sp) or anything but I forget a lot of easy things like that too.

But from what you have described it sounds like more than tranny fluid.

99 Corolla DD beast
#5 Old 02-23-2007, 07:42 AM
mastersgt

Hello I am having the same problem with the transm. gear shifting and blinking overdrive light on my 2000 GXE.I believe there is an electrical problem in some censor, but I dont know which one is. I dont have an scaner, but if someone know somethig please, let me know
#6 Old 02-23-2007, 07:43 AM
spin1078
Beer/Armored Core Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05redser
I deal with alot of older cars that have been donated (I work at a car auction) and alot of the times the reason they were donated was because of tranny problems well at least the customer says.... I put some tranny fluid in it and bam... Perfect... Im saying you are incompetent (sp) or anything but I forget a lot of easy things like that too.

But from what you have described it sounds like more than tranny fluid.

I think he meant Im not saying you are incompetent (sp) or anything but I forget a lot of easy things like that too.

2005 Sentra SE-R Spec V
Quote:
Originally Posted by khmyboi88
I need some help on how to fix my car from idling so much. It get annoying so if you know how to fix this problem HELP A DUDE OUT!!!
#7 Old 02-23-2007, 09:20 AM
MN01GXE
Owner

Send a message via AIM to MN01GXE Send a message via MSN to MN01GXE Send a message via Yahoo to MN01GXE
When I had this issue, one of the sensors on top of the transmission had a wire that was almost completely eaten through. Follow the transmission dispstick (on the right front corner of your engine) down to the transmission, you should see two wiring connectors, one on top and one kind of off to the side. Verify that the connectors are completely pushed in, that the wires look good. Is your SES on?

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 Z71
02 SE-R - Konig Traffiks w/ Azenis RT-615, Nismo FSB, Tanabe Sustec 4pt Brace, Nismo hard rubber bushings, Tarmaq RTB, //TMS CB, Injen CAI, fuel filler cap holder
01 GXE (autox #365) - 91.9whp - RIP 02/06/2007
#8 Old 02-23-2007, 11:22 AM
05redser
I AM THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin1078
I think he meant Im not saying you are incompetent (sp) or anything but I forget a lot of easy things like that too.
Whoops! yea I meant NOT...

99 Corolla DD beast
#9 Old 02-24-2007, 04:12 AM
spam33

(Thread Starter)
05redser, it is quite allright, I knew what you meant

The SES light is not on, but I will check out those connections tomorrow morning.

As for what I'm going to do at this point, I scheduled an appointment at Universal City Nissan for Sunday March 4th. I'm not a fan of taking it to the dealer, but I've heard good things about this particular dealer. Without a doubt, I'm going to have a tranny flush ($120 is pretty decent price, right?). I guess I'll mention this problem to them and pray to the auto mechanic gods that they don't come back with "oh this is a common problem....we can fix it for the low low price of $2,000". Ick.

You can sense my frustration with dealers, can't you?

Feel free to keep this post alive as long as possible. As soon as I get my diagnosis, I'll post it so others can use it for future reference.

Thanks.
#10 Old 02-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Mofoka

Send a message via AIM to Mofoka Send a message via MSN to Mofoka
check out ur recalls...
#11 Old 03-05-2007, 04:32 PM
spam33

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Well, here's the latest update, in case anyone is still wondering.

Went to the dealer yesterday to have a transmission flush. Also requested a diagnosis to see if they could figure out the cause of the problem. 3 hours later....they said it was the REALLY old transmission fluid causing the problem. Other than that, they said the car appears to be in tip top shape. I figure I did pretty well for $132.

Driving home, I noticed my car seemed to get back most of that "zip" it's been missing for a good while. I drove a little bit yesterday and a few times today, and things seem to be running well. If there are any more problems, I'll post again to this forum.

Thanks.
#12 Old 03-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Y2K SE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
"Old tranmission fluid?" You ought to be doing automatic fluid changes every 15k miles.

Current:
2011 Navy Blue Metallic Nissan Altima 3.5SR Sedan

2003 Blue Nissan Sentra GXE

Previous:
2000 Heatwave Nissan Sentra SE w/ Performance Package | NISMo Suspension | NISMo 17x7.5 bronze wheels
#13 Old 03-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Aiello11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K SE
"Old tranmission fluid?" You ought to be doing automatic fluid changes every 15k miles.
when you say doing flushes every 15k miles to you mean a 'torque' flush where they take out everythingcompletely and then fill, or fo you mean a simple drain and fill what is drained, because getting a full flush done is supposedly a risky business, that i heard horror stories, and actually on my familys maxima, it ruined the trans, and something messed up, and the trans is funny and the check engine codes throwing transmission issue messages., so please clarify that for me, because my auto has 32,000 miles on it, and i really want to do a drain, and fill up, but if you feel thats its not enough then hit me with your wisdom. I know adc drains and fills, and i hope he pops up on here to give some usefull words. but what do you have to say Y2K SE

2003 cloud white

Quote:
Originally Posted by B15newyork

He should take a dump in a box and ship that to you for $10.
#14 Old 03-13-2007, 02:36 PM
christian691
high-five!

Send a message via AIM to christian691
I have an auto SE and do yearly drain-and-fills (I drive about 12-15k miles a year). I've never gotten a flush and my tranny's held up fine for the 6 years I've owned the car. I don't know how it is for the GXE, but it's stoopid easy on the SE. Just do a drain-and-fill once a week for three weeks and you'll change out most of the fluid in the tranny.
#15 Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Y2K SE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiello11
when you say doing flushes every 15k miles to you mean a 'torque' flush where they take out everythingcompletely and then fill, or fo you mean a simple drain and fill what is drained
Basic drain and fill is sufficient.

Current:
2011 Navy Blue Metallic Nissan Altima 3.5SR Sedan

2003 Blue Nissan Sentra GXE

Previous:
2000 Heatwave Nissan Sentra SE w/ Performance Package | NISMo Suspension | NISMo 17x7.5 bronze wheels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: