B15 Sentra Forum banner

Automatic Gear Shift Light

17K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  JamieVegas 
#1 ·
Hey,

Last nite I was in my gf's dad sentra.... and I noticed that there was no light coming out of the Automatic Gear Shift.... you know... the PRND21 thing. All the other lights were working fine (dash, climate control, deck, etc). He said it's been like that for months and he doesn't know how to fix it. I wanna try to fix it but I'm not sure if it's a fuse or the light bulb... has anyone else seen this? Any ideas??

PumaYaYa

#5 ·
Actually, it wasn't really the bulb... I opened up the shift gate and there's some slot where the light bulb sits agains the shift gate... it just fell out of the slot.... I could see the light bulb all lit up all the way down in the shift gate compartment... thanx

#10 ·
its actually 300% easier if you just take out the console all together. i found that out the hard way, and it actually takes less time to do it that way than to just fiddle with it from underneath.

two bolts (one on each side) in the front under the dash
two bolts (one on each side) in the back by the pull out cup holder
one bolt in the middle (covered by a small oval piece of plastic)

pull out the gear shifter surround (1st pic from fullah) and pull the console up. you will see it just sitting there, just untwist and change bulb, retwist.

#11 ·
to me it's a lot more work removing the whole console because at the end of it you still have to remove that silver shifter trim piece. Also to actually get the console out you have to pull the ebrake all the way up and you could end up stretching the cable that way.

#13 ·
I just did this repair today, thanks for the pictures!

For anyone else doing this here are some notes:

- The light bulb is actually inside of a black plastic housing that snaps into the bottom of the shift gate (directly beneath the PRND12). If you don't re-install this with the bulb properly the lighting will look like crap beneath the letters.

-Removing the bulb was kind of a pain, eventually I just put on a cheap rubber-dipped work glove and pushed the tabs with my other hand and it came right out.

-Once I removed the screws from the shift knob and unlatched the shift gate the silver shifter button popped out along with a long spring (very important), the oblong black piece mentioned above and the PRND12 placard also popped out. This all happened to me all at once. Don't worry, this is all very simple to re-assemble.

#14 ·
Great information.

I just tried, and it's pretty impossible to do by just prying up the plastic. In my case, the black housing for the bulb didn't snap off. In fact, the bulb assembly just popped right out of it. I changed the bulb, but was near impossible to get back inside without being able to see anything.

How do you get the shift knob assembly off of the stick like in picture #2 ?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.