help car won't start - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 15 Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
timmytheSpecV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
help car won't start

I drive a 2002 sentra spec v. I have recently been having intermittent problems where sometimes I can start my car and other times I cannot start my car.

There are two major conditions that will determine if my car starts; however, under all conditions, my starter is cranking, rrr rrrr rrr rrrr rrrrr.

I know my car is not going to start when I do not see the check engine light on my gauges when I turn the key to the on position. I know my car will start when I CAN see the check engine light when I put my ignition into the on position.
When I do not see the check engine light on my gauges when I put the key into the on position, I cannot hear the priming of the fuel pump. When I see the check engine light on my gauges, I can hear the priming of the fuel pump.

What would cause the gauge to not have the check engine light show up when the key is in the on position?

I have a new alternator, spark plugs, and ECM. I replaced my cam/crank sensor about 20-25,000 miles ago. My headlights, radio, power mirrors, interior lights, and as well as my wipers work (and they move very quickly).

I have no idea what to do other than buy a new harness and pay someone to rewire it. Buy a new fuel pump relay????

Please, if you have any suggestions, I am all ears. I need to get to work reliably. Its cold outside.

Kind regards,

TimmytheSpecV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 AM
orangelloSE-R
geezinondowntheroad

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytheSpecV View Post
When I do not see the check engine light on my gauges when I put the key into the on position, I cannot hear the priming of the fuel pump. When I see the check engine light on my gauges, I can hear the priming of the fuel pump.

What would cause the gauge to not have the check engine light show up when the key is in the on position?

I have a new alternator, spark plugs, and ECM.

Buy a new fuel pump relay????
Weird! I don't know why the CEL wouldn't show up.

The symptoms do seem like the fuel pump may not be getting power. I would be looking at testing the pump to see if it is getting power under the "weird" (no priming noise) circumstances. If not, then you have to figure out if it is the wiring or the fuse/relay.

Why did you have to replace the ECM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
I was just thinking....I've owned Nissan products built in each of the last 4 decades (70's -- 00's.) That is pretty cool. I honestly don't know why I have owned so many Nissan products. They are like herpes....they keep popping up in your life.
2002 SE-R 5 speed
post #3 of 15 Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Spec-V Girl

Check your MAF. I had a friend who had he same problem and it turned out that the MAF was either loose or it popped out. He paid $150 just to have someone plug it back in because he didn't know what was up. Maybe this is it for you too.

.:Sabrina:.

'06 Red Spec-V
NISMO Header, NISMO Exhaust, NISMO CAI, NISMO Rear sway bar, TWM Short Shifter Adapter, TEIN Super Sport Suspension, UR pulley, JWT bsr, Fidanza flywheel

post #4 of 15 Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
timmytheSpecV

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec-V Girl View Post
Check your MAF. I had a friend who had he same problem and it turned out that the MAF was either loose or it popped out. He paid $150 just to have someone plug it back in because he didn't know what was up. Maybe this is it for you too.
So if my MAF is loose, it will cause the check engine light to not come on when the key is in the on position??
post #5 of 15 Old 12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
JammasterJ787

Send a message via AIM to JammasterJ787
Hey im like 95% sure you need the main ecu relay. It should be up under your glove box area. Find it and the next time the car acts up tap the relay and see if the car starts. hope that helps
post #6 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
timmytheSpecV

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JammasterJ787 View Post
Hey im like 95% sure you need the main ecu relay. It should be up under your glove box area. Find it and the next time the car acts up tap the relay and see if the car starts. hope that helps
JammasterJ is the man!! I believe the ECM relay was the problem. I have taken out the glove box and pushed the ECM relay connector very tight and I have been able to start my car 5 times in a row now and its 20 degrees outside right now. +KARMA to you JammasterJ
post #7 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 12:07 PM
JP
Infamous

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JammasterJ787 View Post
Nice, my Ex had the same problem with her 02 SER and we could never find the problem.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 12:34 PM
JammasterJ787

Hey glad to help hopefully you saved some $$$ on that. I would deff get a new one tho they go bad alot and you cant tap it or do anything to get it to work. Keep the old one as a spare in the glove box cuz you never know.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
timmytheSpecV

(Thread Starter)
I have the glove box out and I am looking at the ECM relay and I have no idea how to safely remove it. I bought a new one and I'm ready to remove the old one, but I cannot find any good picture diagrams that show how to remove it. I do not want to break it.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 PM
JammasterJ787

It should just slide up or down out of the clip that its attached to. Just unplug it before you start messing around trying to get the relay to slide of the clip because thats the b*tch part
post #11 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 PM
JammasterJ787

[IMG][/IMG]
post #12 of 15 Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 PM
JammasterJ787

double post

Last edited by JammasterJ787; 12-04-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: 2x post
post #13 of 15 Old 12-10-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
timmytheSpecV

(Thread Starter)
Problem = car will not start because somehow there is no power going to the ECM/ECU intermittently AGAIN. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP.

Today's story:

I took my car to the grocery store about 3 hours ago and sure enough when I came out, it didnt have the check engine light when I turned the key to the on position. As soon as I saw there was no check engine light, I knew it would not start. It didnt start, but would crank with no problems and all of the lights, radio, windows, etc. were working with no problem. I thought JammasterJ had it narrowed down to the ECM relay because after I replaced it, I was able to park my car outside during a blizzard and it started right up even after 6 inches of snow and 40mph winds. I probably started my car around 25 times in a row with no problems in Minnesota winter since I replaced the ECM relay. I am wondering what are the most likely causes of this since I came back to the grocery store 2 hours later with my gf's car and it started right up and I was able to drive home.

1. ****ty autozone alternator, which is less than 6 months old is causing the ECM/ECU to break?

2. Bad ground cable wire somewhere is causing no power to get to the ECM/ECU?

3. Crack in a wire somewhere is causing a short so no power can get to the ECU/ECM?

4. You fill in the possible cause.

Keep in mind, I replaced my ECU around 175,000 miles with a brand new one from my local Nissan dealership and I have about 185,000 miles on my car.

Someone please help me. I need to get to work. I am effed.

TimmytheSpecV
post #14 of 15 Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 PM
EvilBart

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytheSpecV View Post

1. ****ty autozone alternator, which is less than 6 months old is causing the ECM/ECU to break?

2. Bad ground cable wire somewhere is causing no power to get to the ECM/ECU?

3. Crack in a wire somewhere is causing a short so no power can get to the ECU/ECM?

4. You fill in the possible cause.

TimmytheSpecV
Hi

I know Iknow, it's a thread revival. But I have the same problem here. His problem is not the ECU. I jumped the contact of that ECM relay and the the car start but I'm looking to know from were this relay gets his signal from.

pin 1 should be from fuse 36 +12V
and pin 2 go to the ECU pin 111 SSOFF ( ?????)

my problem is one or these wires how can I test that or bypass it ?

Thanks

2005 silver spec-v -- obx header--stromung catback--nismo cai--jwt bsr--nismo suspension--eibach sway bar combo--tarmaq front tie bar--ss brake lines--what's next ???
post #15 of 15 Old 11-04-2011, 07:08 PM
EvilBart

Bump !

2005 silver spec-v -- obx header--stromung catback--nismo cai--jwt bsr--nismo suspension--eibach sway bar combo--tarmaq front tie bar--ss brake lines--what's next ???

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: