Driver's Door-- Won't Open From Inside - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

post #1 of 13 Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Jeff Kleb
2002 Sentra GXE Owner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Driver's Door-- Won't Open From Inside

Something must have snapped or broken within the inner workings of my driver's side door. It won't open from the inside. The lock & unlock works correctly and it opens properly from the outside - but not from the inside handle.

I have to either get my g/f (or other passenger) to walk around and open my door from the outside handle -- or lower the power window, reach out to open it from the outside and then raise the window before closing the door.

WTF? Has anyone ever had this happen before? Is it easy to fix without having to take the car to the stealership?

Thanks for any replies.

P.S. Other than this, my Sentra has been a fairly good car.

2002 Sentra GXE in Molten Silver; 1.8L, 5-speed, Synergy Package. In 2012, it was repainted, had new struts installed, new head gasket, new water pump, new spark plugs, new sensors, and new belts & hoses. 160,000+ "original owner" miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-10-2010, 09:40 PM
superspec
the only 500whp spec-v

Send a message via AIM to superspec
is there any resistance when you pull the lever...like does it feel like the passenger side when you pull its lever? the easiest thing to do is pull the door panel off and see why the lever isnt working. its a very simple setup in there.

if its jammed-force it, if it breaksin the process- it needed to be fixed anyway
post #3 of 13 Old 07-10-2010, 09:50 PM
undertakernismo
Resident Slowpoke

Garage
It probably broke one of the plastic clips that holds the door actuator wire to the inner door opener. Or in the worst case scenario, the wire itself broke. Pull off the panel and let us know what you can see.....

1. 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V, Molten Silver: BPU+, daily driven, 160whp, 170wtq 15.68 @ 87.4 mph, not done yet.
2. 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V, Blackout: boosted, 278 whp, 283 wtq, brother's ride

post #4 of 13 Old 07-10-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Jeff Kleb
2002 Sentra GXE Owner

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the replies. I will probably not get to it for a few days.......but I'll just drive my pickup truck to work. LOL!

It's just another BS task that will go on my "to do" list for the upcoming week.

2002 Sentra GXE in Molten Silver; 1.8L, 5-speed, Synergy Package. In 2012, it was repainted, had new struts installed, new head gasket, new water pump, new spark plugs, new sensors, and new belts & hoses. 160,000+ "original owner" miles.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 04:48 AM
superspec
the only 500whp spec-v

Send a message via AIM to superspec
it shouldnt take more than 15 min to pull the door panel for your first time. if the door lever part is what is broken its a cheap fix IIRC. i htink i paid like 30 bux for each of mine when i replaced them.

if its jammed-force it, if it breaksin the process- it needed to be fixed anyway
post #6 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 06:50 AM
cden1
Old Age Sux

Sounds great for picking up girls! Whoops wrong side. Never mind.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Darkfox89

Send a message via AIM to Darkfox89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cden1 View Post
Sounds great for picking up girls! Whoops wrong side. Never mind.

Well, If you are a gentleman... You let her in first.

THEN YOU CRAWL OVER HER AND FONDLE HER B00BIES!
post #8 of 13 Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 AM
cden1
Old Age Sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfox89 View Post

Creativity!!! It's what makes this country great.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-27-2010, 07:28 PM
NissanXEPilot

Send a message via AIM to NissanXEPilot Send a message via MSN to NissanXEPilot
I had this problem with my sisters '04 Sentra. Turns out the inner door opener had a broken tab that had fallen behind the handle. It was just enough of an obstruction to keep the latch from releasing. Remove the trim from around, door handle, pull out the power window control and unplug it. Remove the screws and pop the trim tabs to remove the door panel. Once the panel is remove you'll get access to the door handle, it's held in place by 2 screws and a rod that connects to the latch. After removing it check it for cracks or broken peices, anything obstructing should fall out, if your lucky the handle might still be functional otherwise I'd replace it.

Just call me Mike
post #10 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 AM
nissentra67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfox89 View Post

CRAP! never thought of this one! next time im going to make up an excuse saying the drivers door is broken

2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8SE
2010 Volkswagen GTI
post #11 of 13 Old 07-28-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Jeff Kleb
2002 Sentra GXE Owner

(Thread Starter)

I am too busy to fix it.....so I have been just driving my pickup truck to work instead.

The only bad thing is that it eats twice as much gas as the Sentra. Doh!

Seriously, I just lower the window and open it from the outside. I'll continue to do that until the weather gets colder or I get tired of messing with it. My inspection is due in December, so I will have to fix it by then.

P.S. I like the comment about "fondling boobies" - as that is always fun to do, even when everything in the car works properly.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-28-2011, 01:17 AM
kevingarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kleb View Post

Something must have snapped or broken within the inner workings of my driver's side door. It won't open from the inside. The lock & unlock works correctly and it opens properly from the outside - but not from the inside handle.

I have to either get my g/f (or other passenger) to walk around and open my door from the outside handle -- or lower the power window, reach out to open it from the outside and then raise the window before closing the door.

WTF? Has anyone ever had this happen before? Is it easy to fix without having to take the car to the stealership?

Thanks for any replies.

P.S. Other than this, my Sentra has been a fairly good car.
This happened to me before it gets very annoying i am also doing your routine when opening the other door. I just give it a strong bump and a strong punch from the inside and it went okay. lol the bad thing after that my dome lights are not anymore working maybe because of the impact of my punch the door jamb switcheswent bad, what an equivalent exchange. lol well what do you expect from a 250lbs guy? lol

Last edited by kevingarrett; 02-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-28-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Jeff Kleb
2002 Sentra GXE Owner

(Thread Starter)

I got it fixed -- paid a shop to do it; but at least it is done right and is no longer a problem.

Thanks for the replies, though.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: