How to: Fix a floppy sun visor - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 2 Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
SE-Mark
DIY-er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to: Fix a floppy sun visor

So you go to adjust your make-up ... er, your significant other adjusts her make-up, when you hear a 'snap' sound and the visor suddenly just flops straight down. Ouch. So you phone the stealer and discover that some cardboard and cloth will cost you over $100 for a new one! At this point you either eat it, or if you're like me, you think, "what have I got to lose trying to fix this one?"

This is my story. The cause of my broken visor is not necessarily the cause of all of them, but I think it would be.

Step one. Remove the visor from the car. If you inspect the visor, you'll note it's just a flap of material folded in half like an omelette. The visor is not stitched, it's glued. The good news is, you don't need to be a seamstress. Starting at where the arm goes into the visor, pull the flap open. It should open along the glue line without ripping any fabric. I ended up opening mine all the way, but that might not be necessary. This is what it will look like at this time.

Step two. Examine. The cause is:

This little piece of spring steel wraps around basically a cam profile. It is normally not split like this picture shows! That's the problem. Normally, when you pull the visor down, the spring stretches outward. When you put it back up, the spring snaps the visor up and holds it there. But, the spring is undersized and breaks, which means there's no longer a strong spring to snap the visor back up! We need to restore that. As you can see when you get to this point, the gap just opens when you try to move the arm up (like putting the visor up). We need to restrain the gap from opening when you swing the arm.

My solution:

Take a short machine bolt (1/2" long, i think) and drill a hole through the spring steel, as close to the 'shaft' as possible. This will take some time, especially if you're using made in China drill bits like I was. The spring steel is tough stuff. Eventually you get through though, and you can run a bolt through with a nut on the other side to cinch the whole assembly together. I didn't go as tight as I could have, thinking I had it tight enough. I was wrong. My visor still flops about an inch or so from the headliner. Nothing too serious, but if you're here now, make sure it's tight enough... or test fit. The closer you get your drilled hole to the shaft, the better, by the way. Just you probably don't want to get too close...

What's next:

Close it all up. It should close without any issues. Your bolt / nut should be short enough that you don't even notice them. The two halves look like they want to go back together.

Reassembly: Use white school glue which dries clear. Apply with a toothpick and avoid getting it on the edges where you may see it after it dries (even through it's basically clear). Clamp as you go. How do you clamp? Clothes pins of course!!

Reinstall back into your vehicle, and you should be good to go... until the other side goes 'snap' and hangs straight down!

Radium 2001 SE/PP, SR20DE + 5 spd + FWD = Fun car, wrong wheel drive
Stock except for Brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads

Last edited by SE-Mark; 05-24-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-24-2008, 06:13 PM
civiceater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Good write up man. I think I'm going to try that. My wife did the exact same thing and basically that thing is just flopping around when it's down. Thanks.

03 Silver Spec-I/H/E/SS/TB mod/MMI/B&G springs/BSR/FidanzaFW/CMFX100/Nismo: LTB/RSB/FSB/Rims/Hankook Ventus V12 evo 225/45/17 14.923@95.732
91 Maroon 240 Coupe- Stock - smashed sold
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185353

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: