B15 Sentra Forum banner

is it ok to remove dipstick tube?

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  orangelloSE-R 
#1 ·
2001 sentra gxe, i have the dipstick problem. problem is that glue, vacuum, and compressed air have not worked for me.

I called a mobile mechanic from craigslist, and he recomended i buy a new dipstick and tube, and he would remove the old tube for me and replace. I prefer that to removing the oil pan, because I feel removing the pan should be the last resort.

problem is now that i am getting 2nd thoughts about removing the tube - is it really safe? will the new tube fit in easily without any problems? I know some other ppl have mentioned the tube method but they haven't really expanded on their experiences.

#4 · (Edited)
jmh1 said:
im worried about oil spewing all over the place, or worried about the new tube not fitting cleanly with the new one.

Is this something I can do myself with a pair of pliers?
you worry entirely to much, about stuff that doesnt matter. there might be a screw holding it to the motor, then again i dont know for sure. alldata pays 24mins to put it in so it cant be that hard. my guess at most a screw then it should pull right out.

#9 ·
i've tried all the tips shared in this forum..just can't get it to work.

the owner at the gas station even came out and yelled at me cuz i was using their vacuum on the dipstick tube..but he did calm down when i showed him what i was doing..haha.

after all that, i've decided that replacing the tube is the way to go for me.

#10 ·
jmh1 said:
2001 sentra gxe, i have the dipstick problem. problem is that glue, vacuum, and compressed air have not worked for me.

I called a mobile mechanic from craigslist, and he recomended i buy a new dipstick and tube, and he would remove the old tube for me and replace. I prefer that to removing the oil pan, because I feel removing the pan should be the last resort.

problem is now that i am getting 2nd thoughts about removing the tube - is it really safe? will the new tube fit in easily without any problems? I know some other ppl have mentioned the tube method but they haven't really expanded on their experiences.

if you haven't hit 100k miles you should still have your engine covered by Nissan...check it out and if its free just give it to the dealership for a day so they can do it and do it right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.