B15 Sentra Forum banner

New member with car problems

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Carterspec v 
#1 ·
I am very new at forums. This is actually my very first one. I own a 2002 Sentra spec v. Here this last winter it had problems starting it on very cold days. I asked around and assumed it was because "Some cars just hate the cold weather." Which is what I was told over and over. However it is very hot here lately, and the past two weeks my car has not wanted to start again randomly. The code that was give when I took it into a car part store is "random multiple misfire".
My car doesn't start only sometimes, but I have a feeling it is getting progressively worse. My engine will usually start when it does this but it acts like it is not getting enough fuel and dies after just a few rotations. If I let it sit, or give it gas in those few seconds that it is barely turning over it will sometimes start and then go strong. We did a compression test, it came back normal. As far as I can tell this is the only thing that is wrong with my car, so I am having problems figuring out what it is. Just about every person I ask says something different. :frown

#2 ·
I've had basically the same problem with my 2001 Sentra GXE 1.8--which is why I'm here!

My Symptoms are as follows:

1) Very cold start problems (worse if I haven't driven for a couple of days). Cranks; won't turn over.

2) Very humid start problems (also worse if it hasn't been driven for a while). Cranks; won't turn over.

I HAVE NO CODES to go on.

What I've done thus far to remedy my situation:

a) Changed Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, PCV Valve and Power Steering Fluid myself.

b) Replaced all plugs and ignition coils myself.

c) Poured fuel additives galore.

d) Took my car to an STS service station to run several diagnostic tests at least twice (but to no avail).

What STS found NO PROBLEM WITH:

i) ELECTRICAL: battery, starter, alternator, spark plugs, ignition coils--all fine.

ii) GAS: fuel line pressure.

Again, there are no trouble codes presently on my vehicle, so I don't know if I can blame an errant sensor.

I did have misfires in cylinder 2 and 3 on two separate occasions since last winter; but that seems to have been just bad ignition coils (which is what prompted me to replace them to begin with).

Anyhow, in my perusing the internet for facts, I've gotten lots of different answers also.

Some people suggest either a cam position, crank position or Air Mass sensor as the culprit--citing even recalls! However, I've also checked my VIN against this (via: https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/), and there doesn't appear to be anything specific to my car, other than something to do with my headlights. : (

Then I came across this insight from another forum. Author: "chuckie902" at Nissanhelp.com

"mine does the same thing........... wont start in the morning but only when around 2-5 deg celcius and damp or wet out!!! so after the garage changed, maf ,fuel pump, pressure reg , and 2 damaged o2's it still does it............ now after 2 more trips to the garage no fix yet......
now i thought the damp condition was a little constant, i am told from a local import shop they are prone to wire harness breakes near the computer or under the hood on the upper left side of the motor bay ....... apperently they corode in canadas climate easily :( ...btw mine is a 01 sentra gxe

...So i couldnt find the wire but a local import shop guy did !!!!!!
btw he found it in about 1 hour !!!!! so for the price of a new wire back to the fuse box and 1 hour shop charge :)
he told me nissans have [bad] harneses , he has fixed 2 year old cars there with the same problems !

And if this is all that it is, well...I guess a good mechanic could replace it more easily than I. Hope that is all that it is really.

Francis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.