B15 Sentra Forum banner

Sound from Steering When I Turn The Wheel?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  phantasm 
#1 ·
My sentra 2001 has 105K miles, getting old I know, I just changed the tires, shocks and struts.

I have been hearing noises when I turn the wheel and it's annoying, it sounds like a twisting metal (like on a ship). Sounds pretty bad, what do you think it can be?

#3 ·
probably more like a creaking noise he meant. i would make sure that when the place installed the struts they put the rubber insulators back on the top of the struts

#5 ·
Toniee said:
Yea the rubber insulators went back on it, it made that creeking noise even before I got the struts changed. It is also more difficult to turn the steering wheel than most other cars.
check if the u joint on the steering shaft is worn and binding up

#6 ·
I had a rock caught in my steering rack that sounded awful, but it was sure a cheap fix ;)
Worth a look.

#8 ·
Sorry to bring back a old forum......But my car (02 Sentra GXE, Automatic, Mileage approx - 128K) is giving me kind of same problem that Toniee was having. My Problem is that when i start my car in the morning my power steering seems not to work and i also hear a squeaking sound. Anytime i try to turn my steering wheel from a car being on complete stop it is just so hard to turn as if i have no powersteering. I checked my PS fluid and its on Cold Max (what the difference beetween hot max and cold max)....also my PS fluid is soo black/dark colored. What do you guys think the problem might be.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.