B15 Sentra Forum banner

Weird Steering Pop

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  civiceater 
#1 ·
For a while now, I've been dealing with a popping noise that only occurs while rolling as I turn the steering wheel. Not a continues popping noise that an axle makes, but just a single loud pop at a quarter turn, one at a half turn, and one at full lock. Recently I installed Tein springs and OEM shocks, and it's been making the noise ever since. My control arms seem okay, but I can't help but think they might be the problem. Or maybe an issue with putting the spring and struts together. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm a bit scared my wheel might fly off. Thanks a lot!!!

#2 ·
Where do you hear the popping noise? Something is binding. It is possible that your tophats bearings are done or maybe the steering column U joint is also done. Do you feel any type of resistance on the steering wheel right before the popping noise?

#3 ·
Thank you for replying, and sorry for taking so long to reply. But, the popping noise is coming from the passenger side, and there is no difference in steering wheel feeling while turning. Also, I forgot to mention that this popping noise only happens when I turn to the left. So, I believe you are right about the tophats being the issue, because I did go the cheap route on them and if I'm not mistaken I believe they are two different brands of tophats. I can get back under the car this weekend and doublecheck my control arms apartment with a prybar because the only thing I did was the 12 and six and the three and nine shake test.

#4 ·
Also try loosening up the front sway bar end links or disconnect them altogether and see if that makes any difference. Something is definitely binding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.