B15 Sentra Forum banner

valve adjustment.. yes or no?

11K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  red-specv 
#1 ·
Is a valve adjustment possible on the Spec V ( 2003 )?

Mine has been making valve-like ( not positive ) sounds on warm up, under acceleration for the first 5-10 minutes of driving.

#2 ·
The valves "can" be adjusted, via a shim replacement.

Basically, you go through the procedure in the FSM to determine if there is sufficient enough clearance to warrant replacing the shim with a different thickness shim. There is no adjuster, per say to go in and make a quick fix.

It's kind of a pain, and can be costly at about $8/shim.

Are you sure it's your valves? What kind of noise are you hearing?

#3 ·
I have a similar noise, more or less attributed to the cold. Not sure if its related at all....:p After 2500rpms it's a small chatter. When the car is warm it goes away.

#4 ·
Have you check your oil level lately?

I highly doubt your shims need to be replaced. They are pretty much a non-service item below 100k miles. Above that it's possible that you might have to change one or two.

But I see that you're stock, which means you have the dreaded stock exhaust manifold w/ the pre-cat in it. This could mean that you're pre-cat has broken up, been sucked into your combustion chamber and scored your cylinder walls, causing oil consumption. If you've run the car low on oil a few times then you could have caused severe bearing wear, which could cause rod knock...which can be confused with the sounds you think are valve related.

#5 ·
kind of noise...

Though I can't describe the sound any better than, valvelike, I hope this other info may help- thank you. "Valvelike"- a certain sound I have noticed in some cars my whole long life!! Please, no flame! ( Since writing most of this, I see Silver.... mentioned rods!! )

The sound first started at 55000mi when I needed a head gasket replacement.

After that ( dealer ) job, very quietly I would notice a faint sound on warm up; not when idling, but only under load, 2000 rpm's and higher. I now have 90,000+ and the symptoms are all worse.

On warmup, under load, meaning driving it:
When engine reaches around 2000rpm on up, I notice a sound that sounds valvelike to me. Sorry, no better terminology!
If I back off the throttle, it drops out, if I give it the gas, it returns, instantly. When I sit at a light, I don't notice it, it becomes obvious under load.

One ray of hope, it doesn't seem to be consuming much oil ( Mobil 1 )....
I brought it to idiot dealers, and they "couldn't hear it", supposedly.

Why does the sound eventually disappear, after 5-10 minutes?
Heat expands things, is one factor, right?
Oil thins, is another

If not valves, what? The oil not getting "up" in the engine for some reason- oil pump, oil filters?

-It is now slightly audible even OUT OF GEAR- a friend detected the sound just standing outside car, next to the engine last month.

-It used to not reoccur unless car sat for many many hours- NOW it happens after sitting for just a few hours, and is significantly louder.

i believe dealers shoddy workmanship, helped cause the problem with the head gasket replacement.

#6 ·
Could be pre-ignition. What octane are you running? Also -maybe they got the valve timing screwed up when they removed/installed the head. Try mixing a quart of RedLine 10W-40 in with the oil next time. Or use 100% 10W-30 RedLine oil. If that doesn't improve things its not a lubrication issue.

#7 ·
Pre-ignition....shouldn't the ECU be pulling timing though?

The sound I hear on my car was also the same exact sound on my old b12...not sure what it is, but that car never gave me problems in 5 years so I dunno.

#8 ·
Can you duplicate the condition by blipping the throttle quickly to say 3K rpm's or so.

If not it is a load related issue (probably) like bearings, and possibly preignition, also maybe piston slap (but that usually is noticable when the vehicle is cold.)

#10 · (Edited)
suraci said:
Though I can't describe the sound any better than, valvelike, I hope this other info may help- thank you. "Valvelike"- a certain sound I have noticed in some cars my whole long life!! Please, no flame! ( Since writing most of this, I see Silver.... mentioned rods!! )

The sound first started at 55000mi when I needed a head gasket replacement.

After that ( dealer ) job, very quietly I would notice a faint sound on warm up; not when idling, but only under load, 2000 rpm's and higher. I now have 90,000+ and the symptoms are all worse.

On warmup, under load, meaning driving it:
When engine reaches around 2000rpm on up, I notice a sound that sounds valvelike to me. Sorry, no better terminology!
If I back off the throttle, it drops out, if I give it the gas, it returns, instantly. When I sit at a light, I don't notice it, it becomes obvious under load.

One ray of hope, it doesn't seem to be consuming much oil ( Mobil 1 )....
I brought it to idiot dealers, and they "couldn't hear it", supposedly.

Why does the sound eventually disappear, after 5-10 minutes?
Heat expands things, is one factor, right?
Oil thins, is another

If not valves, what? The oil not getting "up" in the engine for some reason- oil pump, oil filters?

-It is now slightly audible even OUT OF GEAR- a friend detected the sound just standing outside car, next to the engine last month.

-It used to not reoccur unless car sat for many many hours- NOW it happens after sitting for just a few hours, and is significantly louder.

i believe dealers shoddy workmanship, helped cause the problem with the head gasket replacement.

i have the same thing happen to me. when i first heard it, nobody believe me. ythe valve like noise will gradually get louder untill my car started running harder and the noise got very noticable. i suggest you check your oil level every time after you run your car. check your coolant also. if you haven't gotten rid of that freakin piece of crap exhaust manifold. get a header overnight asap. if you haven't lock-tite your butterfly screws, do that also and make sure you clean you throttle body (especially around the plate). hope this help, because it looks like your car is having the same symptons that my car had. one last thing, always check your oil after you put in your header just in case you're too late to save it.

oh yeah, i took mine to the stealership also. they told it's probably my aftermarket intake and aftermarket exhuast. everything's fine. freakin idiot stealership, i don't even have an aftermarket exhuast! PISS ME OFF!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.