B15 Sentra Forum banner

Water in the spare tire well!! Anybody else?

9K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  01GXEStock 
#1 ·
I just took out my spare and jack kit in prep for AutoXing tomorrow, and I found water in the spare tire well! Anybody else notice this?? It's probably easy to fix with a dab of silicone around the welds, but if somebody doesn't see it, it could be the start of rust spots...

#3 ·
I have not noticed water, or anything else, in the spare tire well except for the spare tire and the misc. bag o' stuff that should be there.

#4 ·
kilago said:
I just took out my spare and jack kit in prep for AutoXing tomorrow, and I found water in the spare tire well! Anybody else notice this?? It's probably easy to fix with a dab of silicone around the welds, but if somebody doesn't see it, it could be the start of rust spots...

Check the weather stripping around the lid as well, it could be leaking in there somehow and running down the sides...I know whenever I open my trunk water and snow fall inside due to the shape of the trunk and could see a leak along the top causing quite the flood in the trunk... good thing my seal is working well there.

#6 ·
Hey, I had the same problem. Water test it yourself. Go inside your trunk and have someone spray water. Check behind the license pan, where the reverse light is. There was a small hole back there and I sealed it up myself, because the dealer could not find it. Well, I don't know if that's the same problem, but it fixed mine.

#7 ·
SCOOBY 808 said:
Hey, I had the same problem. Water test it yourself. Go inside your trunk and have someone spray water. Check behind the license pan, where the reverse light is. There was a small hole back there and I sealed it up myself, because the dealer could not find it. Well, I don't know if that's the same problem, but it fixed mine.
Cool.. I'll have to check next time I wash the car

#8 ·
I've had water leaks on other cars...

It can be a real *****. It could be the well itself, but I'm betting on the tail lights. Next time it rains check for damp spots around the rug over the cover for a clue on location. If its not wet then it could be the well. Good luck. Think I'll check mine.

#10 ·
Re: I've had water leaks on other cars...

adc100 said:
It can be a real *****. It could be the well itself, but I'm betting on the tail lights. Next time it rains check for damp spots around the rug over the cover for a clue on location. If its not wet then it could be the well. Good luck. Think I'll check mine.
You know what's strange is that I didn't notice any water on the carpet or the tire...I took the carpet off and tire out...the water was in the middle of the groove...with a raised level metal around it...the only way water would have gotten in there is from underneath...

I'm taking it in to get it checked out next, next week Wednesday...will post my dealer's response...

#11 · (Edited)
SCOOBY 808 said:
SCOOBY 808, could you take pics or explain where you found the water coming from in more detail? I'll try to test it too, but I'm just curious...

EDIT: Actually, I kinda think I have an idea, but the area you're pointing out sounds pretty high up attached to the trunk cover area...was it getting the carpet wet and stuff too? Because I was just driving in rain, I don't see how the water could have flowed down into the middle of the spare tire well...I'll still check...thanks again for the info...

#12 ·
I found about 6 gallons of water in my trunk (no joke)...ruined my subwoofer box and carpet.
The spare tire wheel and tools were all rusted, and some of the floor was too.
I dried it out good and cleaned it up good too. I sprayed some primer to keep it from rusting some more. I still to this day haven't found the leak. I just let it air out every month now...
-Luc

#13 ·
Most cars it's the tail lights. My old b12 had a bad leak when I bought it. Just got some silicone sealent from auto zone and recaulked the lights, leak fixed.

#14 · (Edited)
Yeah I had the same thing myself.. it was because NIssan did a slack-a$$ed job sealing the body pannels... they didn't weld anything in there mind you.. the jerkoffs just smeared someweird hard drying caulking in the gaps... but what do I care it doesn't leak anymore.. although I bet it will rust nicely.. I am leasing this piece of $h!t anyway and am getting rid of it soon so I won't have to deal with nissan's lovely quality after this year.

the stealer$h!ts said they wouldn't weld it proplerly and seal it up right because Nissan wouldn't authorize it...
nice fu(k!ng company... they screw up and refuse to fix it...

cNdSentraGxE said:
I found about 6 gallons of water in my trunk (no joke)...ruined my subwoofer box and carpet.
The spare tire wheel and tools were all rusted, and some of the floor was too.
I dried it out good and cleaned it up good too. I sprayed some primer to keep it from rusting some more. I still to this day haven't found the leak. I just let it air out every month now...
-Luc

#20 ·
glad I finally got rid of my 2002 SE-R Spec-V... it had pretty poor fit and finish right from the start... oddly my new 2014 focus ST had none of that crap... anyway...

pull the carpet/cardboard thingy over the spare and check the seams between the floor of the trunk and the sides, I had a good 1/4 - 1/2 inch gap and under the car there was also some unsealed gaps by the wheel wells.

I think there was a TSB on it at one point but it has been so long now that a dealership will either give you the finger or charge you a fortune to fix it.... funny since an exhaust leak and a trunk that is not sealed could kill someone with monoxide on a long car trip if the levels get high enough so you would think they would rather fix it than pay for a lawsuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.