Car Is Dying! I Need Help. - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

post #1 of 1 Old 04-08-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
SadBoyMatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Car Is Dying! I Need Help.

Hello! I am a newer 1.8 owner and have only owned it for about a month. When I bought the car I didn’t have a working radio, so I bought a new one and installed it with my electrician friend. After I installed this radio there have been numerous problems.

The first problems I noticed were 1: The running lights would come on with the car. 2: I would hear a whining noise when the car was running and when accelerating it would get louder as if I had a turbo. Disconnecting the radio solved both of these problems, there seems to be no problems at all with our wiring but everything beyond the new harness is a mystery. One morning I went to go to my car to go to school and it wouldn’t start, the battery was completely dead. I charged it up after I got back from class and it ran fine, I unplugged and plugged back in the radio since it was like completely dead and wouldn't turn on and the next morning the car was dead again. This obviously sounds like an alternator problem but I disconnected the positive battery end as the car was running and it ran fine. I also went and got the battery tested at a shop and the battery is fine with no dead cells, it held 12v fine. I unplugged the radio because I was scared of it being a culprit and let it sit overnight. So the fourth day I went and checked my car and it was dead once again, so I started the car up after charging the battery and now the battery light was on (would come on when accelerating and went off and occasionally turned on while idle, the whining was back but seemed to be after accelerating). I popped the hood and it was the alternator, it was clicking as well. I went out today and bought a new alternator and installed it myself, the car appears to be running fine and it is charging the battery up well. I plugged that radio back in just to see what would happen and after connecting it the running lights and everything would come on again.

Any advice on fixing my problem? I will update further if the battery dies out again.

Thank you!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: