2005 Sentra 1.8S headlight grounds? - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

post #1 of 4 Old 04-03-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
stradivarius151

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
2005 Sentra 1.8S headlight grounds?

Hi all, my headlights seem a bit dim, but my highbeams seem fine. My bulbs are perfectly clear, and the lenses are newly polished and looking good. It looks like a bad ground would affect both hi and lo beams, I guess, but it seems like the most likely cause of dimness (I wouldn't mind the hi beams getting even brigher).

I am having trouble locating the grounds for the headlights. The Internet showed me one car where they were clamped on to the body near the headlights in a completely obvious location, but on my car all three leads from the back of the lights join into giant bunches of wires, and are difficult to track after that (not all would go to a ground anyways).

I just wondered if one of you who knows where they are would let me know.

(I did find a bracket to the side of the engine cavity just behind the headlights, which had a white/red and a black/red wire entering, and then had two black wires exposed in the middle, and then was bolted to the chassis, which presumably was grounding, but I find the color change odd, and in any case it all looked perfectly intact and non-corroded).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-04-2017, 12:58 AM
imothers

Hi,
If you have a multimeter, test the resistance to ground - from the pin in the bulb socket to the negative battery post. If you get 1 or 2 ohms you are good. If not, check the battery cable at the post and where it attaches to the car body. You could also tap in another wire to ground if you want to be sure there is no extra resistance.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 04-04-2017, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
stradivarius151

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imothers View Post
Hi,
If you have a multimeter, test the resistance to ground - from the pin in the bulb socket to the negative battery post. If you get 1 or 2 ohms you are good. If not, check the battery cable at the post and where it attaches to the car body. You could also tap in another wire to ground if you want to be sure there is no extra resistance.

Thanks, but with all due respect I already knew all that.

What I need to know is where do the headlight grounds attach to the car body? I was having trouble finding that. I figured people on this forum would know exactly where that might be.

In response to your point about where the battery negative joins the body: won't that be causing a voltage drop on everything electronic if the bad connection is at the battery? I don't think this is the case - I think it's just the headlights. And, I guess, what are the odds that both headlights have a bad connection, since looking at it now it seems they both are independently wired?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 4 Old 04-07-2017, 01:11 AM
imothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius151 View Post
Thanks, but with all due respect I already knew all that.

What I need to know is where do the headlight grounds attach to the car body? I was having trouble finding that. I figured people on this forum would know exactly where that might be.

In response to your point about where the battery negative joins the body: won't that be causing a voltage drop on everything electronic if the bad connection is at the battery? I don't think this is the case - I think it's just the headlights. And, I guess, what are the odds that both headlights have a bad connection, since looking at it now it seems they both are independently wired?
Hi, I don't know where the grounds attach. What about just splicing in another wire so you have at least one good path to ground? Assuming the ohmmeter tells you the ground is bad now, of course.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: