B15 Sentra Forum banner

Exhaust question

17K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  954SpecV 
#1 ·
After going back and forth with MarkSpecV I ended up purchasing the OBX header with midpipe for my 01 SE, now im looking for an exhaust to match. I'm interested in the HKS Sport but being that the header and midpipe wont have cat's will the resonator on the HKS be sufficient to cancel all the noise? Are there any other exhausts to consider?
Cheers in advance

#2 ·
There are 2 cats on the car. The first one is a precat in the header, the other one is after the midpipe, so unless you are getting a test/delete pipe you would still have a primary cat. A HKS with resonator will sound just fine.

#3 ·
The OBX header and midpipe dont have any cats, hense why i was asking the question. The only silencer would be the resonator on the HKS............
thanks for replying though

#5 ·
I wish i knew how to attach a picture of it here but from my understanding, the midpipe that came with the header eliminates the cat and connects straight to the cat-back exhaust

#7 ·
Yes, that is it. but judging from the length of the midpipe and from speaking to MarkspecV I got the impression that the midpipe replaces the cat and would connect straight to the HKS. Is that wrong?

#9 ·
Okay, thanks so much for your input. I will go ahead and order the HKS and a new cat so I can have a whole new setup.

#12 ·
@JP, I lined the header and mid-pipe against the car and it is the length of my current down-pipe and catalytic. I also confirmed with MarkspecV that it will eliminate the cat, i will find out for sure when I have it installed on Wednesday. Waiting for the new hangers and gaskets to arrive from Nissan. I will try to take pics during installation.

#15 · (Edited)
the exhaust i had on the car originally, 2.5 crush bent with Aerospeed II muffler
[/URL]

OBX downpipe next to factory
[/URL]

Factory header wiv pre-cat
[/URL]

Had to weld O2 bung on dow-npipe as it didn't have one
[/URL]
[/URL]

Then a bracket for the hanger
[/URL]

Installed OBX header
[/URL]

Then a weld a support for the header
[/URL]

But then found that the EGR bung was too small, had to block it off for now...
[/URL]

#16 · (Edited)
Factory exhaust that i had hollowed out years ago
[/URL]

Car was too loud so i replaced it with an OBX cat-delete from a 240 which was about 1" longer so the exhaust is hitting the rear axle, plus its louder........
[/URL]

HKS Sport
[/URL]
[/URL]

I tried cutting my current EGR valve and another from a 95 SR20 to create one that would fit both ends but took it back off when i could smell fumes going up to West Palm
[/URL]

I took off the EGR valve but can still smell fumes through the A/C sometimes causing me to think there may be a gas leak somewhere. I'm contemplating replacing the cat-delete with a hi-flow cat but don't know which one to get. i was looking at the Vibrant but its not a direct bolt on.
Im also thinking about maybe getting the Weapon R header http://www.2kracing.com/Product/42896.html but im not sure if the EGR bung will be the same.......................

Any insight will be appreciated.....................

#21 ·
I think i'm going to get the Weapon R header and order the MBS high-flow converter and weld on the flanges to make it a bolt on catalytic..........
what do you guys think?

#23 · (Edited)
Does anyone know the proper length of what the catalytic should be?
I think the cat delete pipe i have on there from a 240 SX is 13.6" and its slightly longer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.