B15 Sentra Forum banner

04 SE-R Engine Rumble and Shake during low RPM

14K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  tonicity 
#1 ·
My video uploaded: http://youtu.be/OcmlE8ksAfg

Hi folks, my SE-R has a low frequency rumble mostly during the first five minutes of cold starts, and only when the auto gear is in drive/reverse and my foot is on the brakes. The noise most occurs when the engine is engaged to the transmission, when the car is not moving, before the car takes off. Yet, three seconds after I start driving and when the engine upshifts to 2nd gear, the noise disappears. So it seems only to occur during 1st gear or reverse, during the 500-1000 rpm range.

The noise sounds a little like the rattling of a large tin coffee can. Even during cold starts, if the engine is on and in park, there is no rumble.

In the video, you can also see the engine move (hop) a bit when it is in gear. And the engine noise/sputter is more pronounced when rev'd. Towards the end of the video, you will hear a high pitched cicada-like chirp. I don't know if that is related or a separate issue.

I think I need to replace the front/rear engine mounts or at least install MMIs, but wanted to check with the community to see if the root cause might be something else. Thanks all!

See less See more
#5 ·
You likely have one or more exhaust hangers that are loose or missing, or one of the exhaust heat shields has come loose. Mine made some noises like yours a day or 2 before getting the safety done, and most of the noises were from loose exhaust parts.

Have you made any progress?

#11 · (Edited)
I just installed Energy MMIs thinking this would solve the rumble issue. The crossmember bushings looked solid, and I didn't want to change too many things at once, so didn't do the bushings this time.

Results:

1. Now I get 2x more vibrations (during the original stated criteria)!

2. After installation when I started the engine, I noticed white sweet-smelling smoke coming from the O2 sensor area (see pic). During installation of the MMI I had to remove the O2 sensor to take out the rear bolt and put anti-seize on the threads. Could this gel be causing the smoke (hopefully temporarily)? Or did I not tighten the O2 sensor enough and now I have an exhaust leak? I also sprayed PBlaster on that area to get the sensor off in the first place. No check engine light after 20 minutes of spirited driving.

What I know so far:

Indeed, the front original mount was cracked (see pic), so I suspect that the engine vibrations that were being absorbed by the mount are now being transferred to the frame. Now, during low RPM, in drive (gear), with my foot on the brakes at a stop light, I can hear other parts of my car rumble. For example, I can hear the dash rumble, some creaks in the doors, and my front fender.

Question:

Is this vibration and noise normal for MMIs/solid mounts? What else do I need to tighten down or replace?

I must say, no more wheel-hop though! If I don't accelerate slowly, I just burn out in place now. Wow!

https://flic.kr/p/qk1iWo
https://flic.kr/p/qzhQeE

#12 · (Edited)
the additional noise and vibrations are normal , i just installed E.S. MMI and have lots more vibrations . also when i don't give it enough gas it bogs down and creates even more heavy vibrations . just check that your headlamps are tightened down and all bulbs in the headlight are snug in their sockets or you'll start to hear some noises , mine came loose and started hearing some weird *** noise . i guess the extra vibrations loosened my turn signal light bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.