NFL 2010-2011 Season.. :) - Page 59 - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
post #871 of 883 Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Raverjames21
Bootlegger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Raverjames21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K SE View Post
After the Browns were allowed to move in the '90s, I could really care less about a potential work stoppage. There's plenty of auto racing on TV.
I like how the drivers/teams in auto racing are generally in it for the love and passion of the sport. Money just seems to be icing on the cake for them. Not in football/basketball/baseball. All these pro sports seem money-centric.

2011 Yugo
Will drink for beer!
C6H12O6 ---> 2 CH3CH2OH + 2 CO2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 883 Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 PM
DevlynSyde
OT Whore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DevlynSyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raverjames21 View Post
I like how the drivers/teams in auto racing are generally in it for the love and passion of the sport. Money just seems to be icing on the cake for them. Not in football/basketball/baseball. All these pro sports seem money-centric.
Doesn't getting to be a Nascar driver require a bit of money? Like the typical progression through the different circuits require you to invest a bit yourself into carts, lights, etc..

Where as the physical sport athletes are well.. not with money before going pro..

2011 OBP Subaru WRX 5Dr
2007 Laguna Blue S2000
2001 Nissan Sentra SE
post #873 of 883 Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Trav4011
Hoosier Daddy?

Send a message via AIM to Trav4011
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raverjames21 View Post
I hope you're joking... lol!

2004 Mustang GT- High comp/built 4.6 SOHC
2011 Mustang GT / 5.0- Intake/Tune
2002 Spec V- FI-R test bed
post #874 of 883 Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Trav4011
Hoosier Daddy?

(Thread Starter)
Looks like the players are going to cave eventually.. as expected. They are the ones who will lose out the most here if there is a lockout. They have agreed to mediation, and I suspect we'll see a new CBA before the deadline in March.

Travis

post #875 of 883 Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 AM
adc100
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav4011 View Post
Looks like the players are going to cave eventually.. as expected. They have agreed to mediation
I don't see that at all. Why should they not agree to mediation? Its not binding arbitration. I could care less about those Primadonas.

I need to figure out a new signature.
post #876 of 883 Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Trav4011
Hoosier Daddy?

(Thread Starter)
I would think that if they didn't care about it, and wanted to strike, then we wouldn't see them agreeing to mediation. They would walk away from the table, and not do anything.

I agree that most of them are overpaid @ssholes, but, there are many who enjoy the sport. Yes, they get paid millions of dollars, but you have to consider the career span of a NFL player. These guys have 5.. maybe 10 years to make thier money. They're done after that. Many of them are brain dead after the NFL, and most are too stupid to even flip burgers. So, I don't have a problem with them making the money that they do. There are a lot worse folks out there who get paid stupid amounts of money to do much worse tasks.

Travis

post #877 of 883 Old 02-21-2011, 05:12 AM
adc100
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk

Quote:
I would think that if they didn't care about it, and wanted to strike, then we wouldn't see them agreeing to mediation.
BC they want to appear to the JoeSixpacks that they are trying to work with the owners.

Quote:
These guys have 5.. maybe 10 years to make thier money. They're done after that. Many of them are brain dead after the NFL, and most are too stupid to even flip burgers.
I think you are exaggerating a tad. This strike isn't about the chumps that earn a couple million a year. These should be the ones worried about. And if they are in the league for 7 years and earn 15 million...lets say 10% need medical care for the rest of their lives, their heallth care takes care of that and they already have the 15 million. I know you are worried about them supporting their 3 or 4 baby mammas though.

So we are looking at the worst case and any normal person would say they are overpaid, compared to 97% of the population. Why do you feel they need more???

I realize you think that Football is the Game of Gods...Most of us...not so much.

Last edited by adc100; 02-21-2011 at 12:17 PM.
post #878 of 883 Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Driving Illini
Engi-nerd

Send a message via AIM to Driving Illini
Professional athletes are entertainers...Are their wages drastically out of line with other sectors of the entertainment industry? Do you only watch TV shows or see movies whose actors were all paid what you feel are "reasonable" sums of money. Wages in any industry will generally gravitate towards whatever the market will bear. And it just happens that in cash heavy industries, like the entertainment industry, salaries will always be absurdly high relative to 'normal' professions. But who are any of us to say what any given individual should/shouldn't be worth to an employer? I know many people that have negotiated higher salaries with their employer, not because they were poor, but simply because they believed their value to the company as being higher than their existing compensation. And in reviewing the future positions both with and without that individual, the company ultimately agreed.

"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." -Ferdinand Porsche
post #879 of 883 Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
adc100
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving Illini View Post
Do you only watch TV shows or see movies whose actors were all paid what you feel are "reasonable" sums of money.
Actually I watch zero tv except for news at the gym. And zero movies.
Quote:
But who are any of us to say what any given individual should/shouldn't be worth to an employer? I
I agree, none of us are, but

Their employers??? The owners.

post #880 of 883 Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Driving Illini
Engi-nerd

Send a message via AIM to Driving Illini
Yep. And just like like choosing unknown or obscure actors for the title roles in a movie, rather than Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt, just to save on production costs...The NFL owners have every right to see what happens to the popularity (profitability) of the league when they use a bunch of "C-List" athletes because they don't feel their current "A-Listers" are worth the money they're holding out for.

"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." -Ferdinand Porsche
post #881 of 883 Old 02-21-2011, 02:54 PM
adc100
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving Illini View Post
.The NFL owners have every right to see what happens to the popularity (profitability) of the league when they use a bunch of "C-List" athletes because they don't feel their current "A-Listers" are worth the money they're holding out for.
True..part of me has little sympathy when the owners kept upping the salaries.. But unfortunately 50% of the franchises can afford it and the other 50% not soo much. Owner greed and player greed. I'm just sorry for the working stiffs that work in the stands.

post #882 of 883 Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Trav4011
Hoosier Daddy?

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
BC they want to appear to the JoeSixpacks that they are trying to work with the owners.

I think you are exaggerating a tad. This strike isn't about the chumps that earn a couple million a year. These should be the ones worried about. And if they are in the league for 7 years and earn 15 million...lets say 10% need medical care for the rest of their lives, their heallth care takes care of that and they already have the 15 million. I know you are worried about them supporting their 3 or 4 baby mammas though.

So we are looking at the worst case and any normal person would say they are overpaid, compared to 97% of the population. Why do you feel they need more???

I realize you think that Football is the Game of Gods...Most of us...not so much.
What do the players stand to gain from a strike? Absolutely nothing..

While I agree that there are some scumbags in the NFL.. I think it's absurd to corral all of them into the same category. These guys work thier butts off to get to that spot, and I don't know of anyone who wouldn't jump at the opportunity to make that kind of money. They worked hard, made it, and they deserve to get paid for the abuse that they put themselves through (for our entertainment). Who are we to set thier pay scale? They make what they're worth (to the entertainment industry, known as the NFL). Is it fair that entertainers make more money in one year than you or I will make in a lifetime? No, but, if the roles were reversed, would be having this same argument?

Travis

post #883 of 883 Old 02-22-2011, 04:40 AM
adc100
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk

Quote:
What do the players stand to gain from a strike? Absolutely nothing..
Workers never gain anything on a strike...that's a given. Its the threat of one.

I point to a parallel..the auto industry. Owners gave them everything they wanted. They became the highest paid workers in the world. You judge the results. Most of you would have to look up the stats on how obscenely well the U.S auto companies did in the 60's

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: