Unofficial "QG18DE" performance upgrade thread - Page 6 - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.97 average.
post #76 of 377 Old 11-30-2006, 07:48 PM
spike110486
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to spike110486
so yea
modding the qg is worthless
biggest letdown ever
it was cool when i was 16
but **** wat wasnt?
sirhavok chill out with the bumping
no reason for you to get these kids to waste their money just for them to run low 17s

*2006 Mazdaspeed6
**latest**
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Greddy Full Auto Turbo Timer
Prosport 60mm Electric Boost Gauge
spike110486 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 377 Old 11-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Black B15
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I gotta disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike110486
so yea
modding the qg is worthless
biggest letdown ever
it was cool when i was 16
but **** wat wasnt?
sirhavok chill out with the bumping
no reason for you to get these kids to waste their money just for them to run low 17s

Okay guys, originally I made one mod. Just one. A cold air intake (one that I made with a K & N racing cone filter, a MAF adapter and a 6-8 inch aftermarket intake tube)and I am running about 16.80 in the quarter. I disagree with you guys who say the qg18de is not worth modding. From what I have found reading all of the forums on here, you can get mods for the 1.8 that are much less expensive than the 2.5. Granted, it is much harder to find mods for the 1.8 than the 2.0 or 2.5, and the 1.8 mods don't give you as much of an increase as the ones for the spec-v. After the initial intake mod, i decided to do some more mods. If any of you in the 1.8's drive at all like I do, you will love what I have done for my car. Here is what I have done to my ride as of right now.

K & N Racing Cone Filter, MAF adapter and intake tube.....about $60. (I could instantly feel the gain from letting the 1.8 breathe better)
Megan Racing front strut brace.................................about $35 shipped
(I once read on here, "you can't get too much hp out of the 1.8, but it can hold it's own in the twisties"....and the strut brace helped greatly for this.
Throttle body spacer...........................................again, about $35 shipped
(Didn't notice too much difference with this, but once I add some more mods, I assume it will be nice to have it installed.
Voltage Stabilizer...............................................right around $30 shipped
(Again, not too much with performance, but it seems like lights are brighter, stereo seems a little louder....it would only make sense that all electrical systems ((like the ones that ignite the gas...you know)) would be enhanced by this...again, probably much bigger gain once other mods done.

I undid the battery bracket and pushed the battery as far towards the passenger side as I could, because now my homemade CAI is pretty much sitting in between the battery and the fender (less direct engine heat) and is also centered over the hole where my stock air intake and intake resonator were. I got under my car and changed the aerodynamics just a bit under this hole, so that fresh outside air is forced up into where the resonator was, and hopefully into my CAI. WHEW, that was way toooooo long.


I have just ordered my energy suspension motor mount inserts for about $30 shipped.
You know, I read one post on here where the guy said something like "you don't need motor mount inserts, I doubt your 90 horsepower needs it!" I am here to tell you, when I take off at the track, wheel hop becomes a tooth shaking reality. My car definitely needs it. And by the way, I have about 98 WHP stock! HAHA! That is so low!

I have also ordered an aftermarket racing/street muffler. It caught my eye because it had an exhaust cut-out, right on the muffler. So when I am driving around town, my car sounds a little meaner, but not too bad unless I stomp it. But.....at the track, I can take out the cut-out and it runs like a straight pipe with no muffler. I am curious to see how that works out.

And by the way, I make a damned good wage and I am certainly not still in school. I bought (new) an 05 1.8s special edition w/ a manual tranny. It is black with tinted windows and the pin stripes removed...it looks sharp guys. This car is inexpensive to drive, has a damn good Rockford/Fosgate system, amp and 8 inch sub, looks clean as hell and is still able to whoop a short box dodge ram at the strip. (I bet that guy was pissed by the way...hahaha) With some mods, that's what I call a sleeper kids!

After that (and I apologize for such a long post guys, just needed to blow off some steam here) the only other mods I am looking at are either the OBX or the Xtune 4-2-1 headers and some lowering springs and the rest is cosmetic. So how many people are gonna dog me on this.....lets start counting people....

Last edited by Black B15; 11-30-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Black B15 is offline  
post #78 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
sirhavok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ontario california
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to sirhavok
(Thread Starter)
haha right away with the **** talking... you all can go **** yourselfs..

People sent me PM's asking for my thread.. i bumped it... and there it is!

1.8s sentra.... OF DOOM!!!
myspace.com/walkstraight
sirhavok is offline  
 
post #79 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 12:57 AM
808blackb15
KiLLeR QG
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: in quarantine
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^ I bump you again


I believe the QG18DE can become a pretty decent performer...on a 35shot I kept up with my friends Spec w/CAI/Exhaust.

so considering I spent $400 on the nitrous kit,free intake,and a $50 muffler I bought from a friend...and keep up with a Spec...WHOS GONNA TELL ME A QG can do it ??? I already proved it can...I have yet to try a 50shot. I think I can pull out a little more by doin Cat-back piping. Im actually considering goin turbo...I can have my brothers "Stock" tubo parts and the extras he got lying around (tubo,IC,wastegate,BOV) all Id have to buy is the GA16 tubo manifold and get the piping made. So for me goin turbo wouldnt cost alot...all I got to do is tune it to a safe setting.

00 GXE/SE-R front end/Chopped and Screwed Suspension /C.A.I./Axleback exhaust/TWM SS with B&M shift knob/17'' Kobe Race-10 wheels/Custom Eyelids/Tinted rear blinkers
808blackb15 is offline  
post #80 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 01:21 AM
StreetUnionWynd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation I agree with BlackB15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike110486
so yea
modding the qg is worthless
biggest letdown ever
it was cool when i was 16
but **** wat wasnt?
sirhavok chill out with the bumping
no reason for you to get these kids to waste their money just for them to run low 17s
LOL. So what... maybe in your shoes it's not worth modding, but in some people's shoe's it's all they have. Look at me, I got stuck with the 1.8S, did I want a 1.8S? No, I would've taken a Spec V in a heartbeat, heck I would've even taken the 1.8 Manual b/c mine is an automatic.

But life just doesn't work like that for some people. I didn't have a say in the car I wanted, my parents went out one day and bought it for my brother... and they bought it for him b/c he had rolled his eclipse, so they bought him a temporary. Therefore my car was a hand me down once he got a new eclipse, it's a 2005, and heck it's a free car, fairly brand new, I know it's not gonna break down on me, and it's all paid off, I don't have to worry about payin it off every month. Sure I would like to go take it in and trade it for something faster, but then I don't wanna deal with payin it off every month, I'm still in school, and have about 4-5 more years of it.

Sure the guy with the WRX might be faster than me, but who isn't? I too drive a 1.8S, but being able to work on it myself and do a majority of the mods myself makes me feel good about it. The feeling of getting down and dirty and feeling accomplished that I installed a mod on my own. That I saved myself $400 installing a crank pulley with my brother.

Heck, I'll be honest, I raced this guy in a GSR and I didn't like the guy, b/c the guy is full of BS. He's such a poser, acts like he know's alot, barely even knew what was under the hood... didn't even know how much HP was in his car... didn't even know how to burn out... had some local tunin shop put in a "HEADER" for him, not only that he didn't even know what brand of header it was, he wasn't even sure if it was MEGAN or MUGEN. Not only that, his step dad footed the bill, so he didn't have to pay for any of it. Also he wants to put on a Greddy Turbo kit and not want to rebuild the internals... on a GSR!?! What is he... stupid!?! And here he is talkin smack about how fast he is and how he can smoke me and all of my friends.

And the only reason he can is b/c he's a GSR, of course he's faster, give anyone a faster car and they can beat you in a "STRAIGHT" line. Take it to a track, and garanteed I can hold my own.

Same thing with my cousin, he drive a CRV, (Don't know why he likes to fix it up, guess there are some people out there). But one night I just wanted to race him when I had I/E, just to test my car, see where it stands, and he went off on this whole tangent about how bad he would smoke me, even uphill or downhill. But sure, he can smoke me, he's got 20hp on me already stock, and he's manual. He only took me in 3rd gear, and that's b/c I'm auto. Take it too a track and I dust him like that.

I thought the concept of being a TUNER was that you "enjoyed" tuning/fixing your car, knowing your car, and driving your car however the way you wanted. Should it matter if your car isn't the fastest!? Come on... look at some of the high school kids goin out and buyin a used car that's already hooked up? I met a kid at a car meet who picked up a turbo'd CRX, and when my friend went to go ask him if it was a Turbo'd D16Y, the kid was like... "I don't know... my friend and I just picked it up like this." And my cousin with the CRV also tells me that it sucks that my car's "ELECTRICAL" and he's like... "YOU LOOOOOOOOSE SOOO MUCH HP!" And then here I am, telling him about my car has a DIS system and supposedbly it's the most "reliable ignition system" up to date b/c the timing is controlled by the ECU it's supposedbly less likely to misfire. And then he goes... "Oohh... yea I guess that's true." WHAT POSERS!!

I mean sure it's nice to know your faster than the other guy, but when you go AUTO X or take it to the strip, isn't it about beating yourself?! Tryin to improve "YOUR" time and such as long as you have fun doin it?

That's my thought on all of this... haha sorry it's a long post, just gotta give my input.

BTW: If it was the biggest let down for ya, you were expecting waaaaaay too much out of it in the first place.
StreetUnionWynd is offline  
post #81 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 01:48 AM
808blackb15
KiLLeR QG
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: in quarantine
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A stock GSR motor can handle boost...my friend turbo'd his b18 w/cams at 7psi ..and 7psi on a B18 is pretty good...yeah 7 is little maybe for a bult motor...but try that on a stock motor...9psi on race gas and he did high 12's....a stock b18 can make a civic do 15's

but for comparison of a B18C1 (97-98GSR) and QG18DE...the B18 already make more power stock (170hp)..and respondes well to aftermarket parts (which is easy to find) as for the QG 126hp stock...not much aftermarket parts. common sense would tell you that a GSR is faster than a GXE,XE,1.8,1.8S

the funny thing is that the 97-98 GSR puts out 128@6200rpms Torque and I think they redline at 6500 (kinda sad)...and a QG puts out 129 @ 2400rpms......big rpm difference there...I think a QG could take a GSR off the line...but probably fall behind after 2nd gear...maybe even after 1st. even if he brags that his car is faster...just tease him that your lug nuts got more torque than his car.

00 GXE/SE-R front end/Chopped and Screwed Suspension /C.A.I./Axleback exhaust/TWM SS with B&M shift knob/17'' Kobe Race-10 wheels/Custom Eyelids/Tinted rear blinkers

Last edited by 808blackb15; 12-01-2006 at 01:57 AM.
808blackb15 is offline  
post #82 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 04:06 AM
BomKron
Don't Panic, It's Organic
 
BomKron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808blackb15
the funny thing is that the 97-98 GSR puts out 128@6200rpms Torque and I think they redline at 6500 (kinda sad)...and a QG puts out 129 @ 2400rpms......big rpm difference there...I think a QG could take a GSR off the line...but probably fall behind after 2nd gear...maybe even after 1st. even if he brags that his car is faster...just tease him that your lug nuts got more torque than his car.
Haha dude race a GSR and be sure to tell us just how well you kept up with him... You didn't care to mention the fact that it's throwing down 170hp and revs all the way to 8000rpm's not 6500. You don't have any idea what you're talking about....

You guys really bring up some good points.....





lol I love it.

2002 Molten Spec V
NISMO | AEM | Megan Racing | Hotshot | JimmyBARS | Unorthodox Racing | TechnoSquare | JJgraphiX Designs

RIP: Ford SVT Focus, Mazda MP3
Custom Decals and Graphic Design: Visit www.jjgraphix.org or e-mail me at jjgraphix@gmail.com if interested
BomKron is offline  
post #83 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 10:19 AM
zsoker89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to zsoker89
I drive a 1.8s myself.

Seriously.. Give it all the performance mods you want, it just might be visible in a stock SE-R's rear view mirror.

Theres nothing wrong with you guys tuning the performance.
I just don't see the point of giving away so much money for such little progress.

Black B15, notice how after every one of your mod descriptions you say "again, didn't notice too much difference with this.. blahblahblah". Do you wonder why?

The purpose of it was to be an affordable fuel economic vehicle, it's a simple engine that doesn't have much after market support because it's not made fo that purpose. Putting forced induction, like nitorious, on it is only going to decrease that engine's life span. Any ordinary car can boost like that when you put a 35shot.

Don't you think it's just better to drive the car the way it's meant to be?
Everyone has the right to do whatever they want (example: you can from stock b15 to "SENTRA OF DOOM"), but I hate how people over exaggerate the bolt ones they put on it.
zsoker89 is offline  
post #84 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Black B15
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Sirhavok, some of us do appreciate you efforts!

Seriously, I was looking around on this forum trying to peice together information for my 1.8...it was kind of frustrating. I found your's and was thinking "finally, somebody is making it easy for us!" I appreciate your efforts Sirhavok, keep on rocking brother.

ZSOKER: First off, there was a definite gain with the cold air intake....and the strut brace seriously tightened up front end. Both huge gains (at least to me) for a very small cost. I didn't notice too much gain from the TB spacer, but the gain is constant-meaning that your HP follows the exact same curve, just slightly higher.....if you look on here you can find the dyno for the TB spacer install on the B15. Until you look at that, you don't really know what kind of gain you get from a TB space....so take a look. Hell I will even try to find it and post the dyno results for ya. As for the voltage stabilizer, you don't really expect power from this....you just get a little bit better response from your electrical system.

Now, I don't ever expect to keep up with a spec v. I also didn't spend the extra $4000 or so dollars to get the spec. Soooo lets really look at your argument ZSOKER. I spent less up front for my ride.....but lets even up the cost for both. So for the same money that people spend on the spec....i could almost get a turbo installed and tuned....and with an extra 4-600 bucks, you can add a 40-60 shot nitrous. Now truthfully, the turbo and nitrous would probably put your spending above that of the spec v slightly, but are you really going to sit there and tell me if i dumped the same amount of $$$ into my 1.8s as people do for the spec v, that I couldn't keep up? I think I would take a turbo'd 1.8 running fast on laughing gas, rather than ANY stock spec V. The other thing is....people see a spec v and expect it to run fast. The expectation when you see mine is that it's slow "it's a 1.8!". But my little car hauls....You can knock it all you want man.

Last edited by Black B15; 12-01-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Black B15 is offline  
post #85 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 11:04 AM
zsoker89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to zsoker89
Yeah, thanks a lot!

Best sentra ever! Woooo!
zsoker89 is offline  
post #86 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 02:31 PM
BomKron
Don't Panic, It's Organic
 
BomKron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsoker89
Yeah, thanks a lot!

Best sentra ever! Woooo!
Hahahahahahaha..... Who needs coffee in the morning when you have b15sentra.net to wake you up!

2002 Molten Spec V
NISMO | AEM | Megan Racing | Hotshot | JimmyBARS | Unorthodox Racing | TechnoSquare | JJgraphiX Designs

RIP: Ford SVT Focus, Mazda MP3
Custom Decals and Graphic Design: Visit www.jjgraphix.org or e-mail me at jjgraphix@gmail.com if interested
BomKron is offline  
post #87 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 03:26 PM
txspeccer
******
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black B15
are you really going to sit there and tell me if i dumped the same amount of $$$ into my 1.8s as people do for the spec v, that I couldn't keep up?
No, you couldn't. 95 whp for the win!

This discussion is retarded.

Is it logical to modify a QG? Hell no. However, rarely is anything involving cars logical. Do what you want, but don't get butt hurt when people point out the futility of your efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman0605 View Post
oh B15sentra Banned Me For No Reason Again And Its Ok Wit Me Because I Guess I Got To Be White In Order To Be Like And Talk Like Im White Too. u have the very lack of KNOWDELGE. So get cha mind right FOOLS...
txspeccer is offline  
post #88 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Black B15
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by txspeccer
No, you couldn't. 95 whp for the win!

This discussion is retarded.

Is it logical to modify a QG? Hell no. However, rarely is anything involving cars logical. Do what you want, but don't get butt hurt when people point out the futility of your efforts.
Well when I find a 1.8 liter with a turbo and a 50 shot nitrous, we will have to see. But you are still telling me that after a turbo and nitrous, you don't think a 1.8 would keep up with a stock spec v......I respectfully disagree!

Out of curiousity, has anyone heard of anybody adding a turbo to the 1.8? How about with nitrous? If so, I would like to see what kind of #'s they are putting down. A dyno would be better. But without a dyno or without track timeslips, you say the chicken came first, i say the egg!
Black B15 is offline  
post #89 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
txspeccer
******
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black B15
Well when I find a 1.8 liter with a turbo and a 50 shot nitrous, we will have to see. But you are still telling me that after a turbo and nitrous, you don't think a 1.8 would keep up with a stock spec v......I respectfully disagree!

Out of curiousity, has anyone heard of anybody adding a turbo to the 1.8? How about with nitrous? If so, I would like to see what kind of #'s they are putting down. A dyno would be better. But without a dyno or without track timeslips, you say the chicken came first, i say the egg!
You might keep up for a while, until your engine blew up.....

Chimmike turbo'd his QG. Even he will tell you it's not worth doing. If you're planning on going turbo AND 50 shot, please take a video cam with you. You could be the next star of youtube.com. KABOOM!

What's sad is that your target is another car that's not fast. Blowing thousands on parts to make your grandma-mobile keep up with the pokey SpecV is retardo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman0605 View Post
oh B15sentra Banned Me For No Reason Again And Its Ok Wit Me Because I Guess I Got To Be White In Order To Be Like And Talk Like Im White Too. u have the very lack of KNOWDELGE. So get cha mind right FOOLS...
txspeccer is offline  
post #90 of 377 Old 12-01-2006, 04:03 PM
BomKron
Don't Panic, It's Organic
 
BomKron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm willing to bet that everyone who's sitting here saying the 1.8 can be fast and is worth modding because after I put the CAI in I can screech the tires in 2nd, blah, blah are all 16-18 years old. You kids dont realize that just because you've been making your car louder, it's still just as slow...

And all your testimonials about how "I've kept up with a spec V.. my little car is actually pretty quick"... have absolutely no factual backing behind them. Hell, I "kept up" with a Carrera S on the way to work today. Does that mean my car is anywhere near as fast as his? Not by a long shot. You kids need to think outside your bubble and realize all the money you're putting into your grocery-getter is not worth it.....

I'm glad to see you guys are interested in import tuning but please don't sit here and tell us we are all wrong. You have no clue what you're talking about. You want to work on your "ricer", fine. But don't sit here and tell us how fast it is, or we're going to flame you.

2002 Molten Spec V
NISMO | AEM | Megan Racing | Hotshot | JimmyBARS | Unorthodox Racing | TechnoSquare | JJgraphiX Designs

RIP: Ford SVT Focus, Mazda MP3
Custom Decals and Graphic Design: Visit www.jjgraphix.org or e-mail me at jjgraphix@gmail.com if interested
BomKron is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome