Spring Rates Rundown (Stock and Aftermarket) - Page 5 - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.92 average.
post #61 of 178 Old 09-02-2005, 04:48 AM
Apexfreak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure what your source is for the spring rates, but the actual spring rate for a 2003 Sentra SE-R SpecV is 175# front and 165# rear.
That is from having an OE SE-R on a shock dyno prior to building a Speed World Challenge car out of it. We also took the former Hermes WC car and it had 700# front and 650# rear springs on GC coilovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 178 Old 09-02-2005, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Dangling Fury
Immature Tough Guy

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexfreak
Not sure what your source is for the spring rates, but the actual spring rate for a 2003 Sentra SE-R SpecV is 175# front and 165# rear.
That is from having an OE SE-R on a shock dyno prior to building a Speed World Challenge car out of it.
How does a shock dyno measure spring rates? Also, how can you have a car "on a shock dyno"? You take the shocks out and measure them on the machine?

The stock specv spring rates of 154F/247R have been tested and confirmed by numerous sources, including Eibach and NPM. My friend cortrim1 also tested these in his calibration lab and got the same numbers. That's three sources right off the top of my head.

2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX RS (300whp/298wtq)
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R (sold 7/26/07)
Central Carolina SCCA (Autox for NC/SC)
post #63 of 178 Old 09-02-2005, 10:01 AM
fluid1
Sentra God

Send a message via AIM to fluid1
Dangling Fury is correct.

post #64 of 178 Old 09-02-2005, 11:14 AM
SilverSleeper86
Is backz

Send a message via AIM to SilverSleeper86
Nice write-up...I vote for sticky or at least put in the FAQ section.

GJ Dangling Fury.

2001 Nissan Sentra GXE - Just a shell and windows. No interior or powertrain. Date to begin resurrection - Spring of 2010. BCT & AIT for 8-10 months so I will be gone.
post #65 of 178 Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 PM
BlackNight
...Afraid to Lose Control

uhhh... it's already a sticky.

ANy help on my last post??? about stock GXE susp. swap to Spec-V stock susp.??? last post on pg.4

2001 BlackOut GXE
Modifications (INCLUDING cosmetic):PR CAI, Stock FSTB, OEM Fogs, OEM Spoiler, Nismo LTB (waiting to be installed)
Pioneer DEH-P3600, Pioneer 6.5" 4-Ways.
Next on the list:HKS Sport Catback Exhaust OR KSport Coilovers
"Never drive faster then your guardian angel can fly."
post #66 of 178 Old 09-02-2005, 04:31 PM
fluid1
Sentra God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNight
uhhh... it's already a sticky.

ANy help on my last post??? about stock GXE susp. swap to Spec-V stock susp.??? last post on pg.4

I thought I answered you. You'd be dumb at this point to waste money on the Spec V suspension. Just go with simple coils or Konis and GC's.
post #67 of 178 Old 09-02-2005, 04:48 PM
MN01GXE
Owner

Send a message via AIM to MN01GXE Send a message via MSN to MN01GXE Send a message via Yahoo to MN01GXE
Quote:
I have a question about swapping stock springs and struts.

If I were to go from my current stock suspension (01 GXE) to an 02-03 Spec-V stock suspension... what differences would I notice? Would the car be any "lower" in terms of height or would I just get the stiffer rates??
If anything, your car might sit a millimeter or so higher (ok, so I don't know exactly, but I doubt you would notice the difference) because of the stiffer rate and weight difference between the two cars.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 Z71

2008 Silverado Z71
02 SE-R - Konig Traffiks w/ Azenis RT-615, Nismo FSB, Tanabe Sustec 4pt Brace, Nismo hard rubber bushings, Tarmaq RTB, //TMS CB, Injen CAI, fuel filler cap holder
01 GXE (autox #365) - 91.9whp - RIP 02/06/2007
post #68 of 178 Old 09-02-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Dangling Fury
Immature Tough Guy

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
If I were to go from my current stock suspension (01 GXE) to an 02-03 Spec-V stock suspension... what differences would I notice? Would the car be any "lower" in terms of height or would I just get the stiffer rates??
I don't think the car would be any lower, at least not noticable to the naked eye. One idea is to get Eibach Prokit lowering springs and KYB-GR2 replacement dampers, you could probably get that setup for around $400.

post #69 of 178 Old 09-02-2005, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Dangling Fury
Immature Tough Guy

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexfreak
Not sure what your source is for the spring rates
Another thing you should know is that Tein uses stock spring rates with a lower drop for their H-tech springs. Call them up if you don't believe me.

post #70 of 178 Old 09-05-2005, 02:08 AM
BlackNight
...Afraid to Lose Control

Cool... thanks for the replies... sorry I didn't notice your first reply fluid1, but thanks anyway. I've heard some QG's get this setup but I didn't understand it too much... so I will veer for the spring/shock combo... when i have money

2001 BlackOut GXE
Modifications (INCLUDING cosmetic):PR CAI, Stock FSTB, OEM Fogs, OEM Spoiler, Nismo LTB (waiting to be installed)
Pioneer DEH-P3600, Pioneer 6.5" 4-Ways.
Next on the list:HKS Sport Catback Exhaust OR KSport Coilovers
"Never drive faster then your guardian angel can fly."
post #71 of 178 Old 10-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Eddie@Performance
B15 Sentra.net Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Eddie@Performance Send a message via Yahoo to Eddie@Performance
Just adding a bit of info for some suspension newbies since this is a sticky anyways.

Spring rates are the key factor in balance of the complete chassis. This leads to the debate between "linear" and "progressive" spring rates. There's no mystery about progressive springs: A progressive spring has a variable rate increase throughout its compression stroke. For example a progressive spring with a starting rate of 200 pounds per inch for the first inch of compression and an end rate of 400 pounds per inch for the next two inches of compression would then equal a load of 1000 pounds.

A linear spring rate has one rate throughout its deflection. This means, if you have 300 pounds per inch spring rate, it takes 300 pounds to compress that spring one inch. A 300 pounds per inch linear spring, compressed three inches, would equal a load of 900 pounds. As you can see, one progressive spring can do the work of two or more linear springs. This is a big advantage in modern automotive chassis design, fulfilling the needs of today's discerning customers.

So why are linear springs still popular? Linear springs are readily available and inexpensive, allowing most race teams to use several different sets depending on track conditions. Linear springs are also easy to work with because the spring rate never changes, allowing for quick chassis set-up. This user friendly appeal is why so many chassis tuners are critical of progressive rate springs. These chassis tuners do not have the know-how to use progressive rate springs, or if they do have the knowledge, the manufacturer that they use is not capable of producing the design specified. Springs with a high linear rate would be used on a smooth racetrack, while on a rough or bumpy road course; you would use a softer spring rate. Since many racetracks have different road surfaces a suspension that is adaptive to changing road surfaces is desired. Progressive rate springs can offer a chassis tuner the means to achieve a compliant suspension in the rough and a tight suspension for high-speed turns.

Another issue that adds to the debate between "Linear" and "Progressive" rate springs, is that when most spring manufacturers say that their springs are progressive they are not! Springs may be wound progressively, but that does not mean that they function progressively. Some suspension springs are wound progressively but function as a linear spring. These springs can be called "dual-stage" coils, but are generally referred to as springs with "dead" or "inactive" coils. Dead or inactive coils are coils that are in contact with adjacent coils at loaded height. Inactive coils do nothing but give the spring enough free-length to stay tight in the spring perches at full rebound (when the tires and wheels are hanging in the air like when the car is on a lift). A spring that is wound with inactive coils and no progressive coils that are active, is actually working as a linear-rate spring. This is why when you call a spring manufacturer for spring rates for your application you must ask, "What is the actual working spring rate?" This ensures that you do not just get numbers quoted from a design sheet. For example: A design sheet may have rates of 69lbs. per inch, to 160lbs. per inch, to 220lbs. per inch. When the actual rate is 170lbs. per inch to 220lbs. per inch. As you can see, getting the correct information is important in making a true comparison.

PERFORMANCE NISSAN PARTS Call us for all your OEM and Performance Parts needs!! 1-866-211-7389

2005 SE-R Spec V
Brembo, ES MMI, Nismo CAI, Ground Net, Tanabe Sustec 4 Point Lower Brace, JWT BSR, Nismo Header, Tanabe GF210 Springs, 17x8 5-Zigen FNO1-RC Black w/ Polished Lip, Eibach F/R Sway bar
post #72 of 178 Old 10-07-2005, 05:24 PM
brokemotor

great post Dangling Fury , now just spray it with moron repellent , so people actually search for it . But someone tomarrow will say " hey guys, I got a specv and I was wondering what springs fit on our cars ".

such good general info , I hope people look it up .

back to nissan
06 blk altima se-R
93 yellow del sol _--------STOLEN!
08 scion TC
l
post #73 of 178 Old 12-31-2005, 10:17 PM
ccarr
nissan junkie

I see some of these on ebay,are those real or knock off's=not the same fit/quality/etc..Did i mention ebay's are like 1/4 of the price listed above?
Just curious kinda new to ebay,are these people/companies that get great deals on merchandise?Or fakies?Has any one bought any good springs/coilovers on ebay?

I believe i saw those B&G coilovers on there(ebay).maybe i just answered my question.?.
post #74 of 178 Old 12-31-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Dangling Fury
Immature Tough Guy

(Thread Starter)
Almost always, no name suspension products found on eBay are crap. Brands like "ST" or "CM" springs that cost less than $100 and drop 2" are very dubious and you're just wasting your money.

If you want lowering springs, I would stick with Eibach or Tanabe. For coilover products there have been positive reviews from Nismo, Tein, Ksport, Koni/GC and JIC. These are the only brands I would personally put on my car.

Also, the site owner david had a horrible experience with B&G coilovers and based on his comments I would definitely stay away from those.

post #75 of 178 Old 01-03-2006, 03:49 PM
fluid1
Sentra God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangling Fury

Also, the site owner david had a horrible experience with B&G coilovers and based on his comments I would definitely stay away from those.

Don't forget about Dion!!!

Yeah, DF's right..... if a company could make good, affordable suspension products, they would not need eBay to hock them, they would be backordered.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: