Spring Rates Rundown (Stock and Aftermarket) - Page 4 - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.92 average.
post #46 of 178 Old 08-30-2005, 08:04 AM
DevlynSyde
OT Whore
 
DevlynSyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DevlynSyde
If you are running 250-300 pounds in your gear and only in the 601+ class, please post a thread in the audio forum with pics and a list of your gear for us audio minded people


2011 OBP Subaru WRX 5Dr
2007 Laguna Blue S2000
2001 Nissan Sentra SE
DevlynSyde is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 178 Old 08-30-2005, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Dangling Fury
Immature Tough Guy
 
Dangling Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 5,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by (HK)
I run a R33 full bodykit and I am an IASCA competitor. I have a custom fiberglass install thats weighing me down (more like sagging). I have the stock springs all around so that I can clear most damaging Montreal streets. I would like to drop my front end so that I can actually enjoy some of my performance mods and not just spin through. What in your best opinion would help me out most? Custom made springs? or Coilover set?
I agree with Daniel, you need adjustable ride height coilovers, the most cost effective solution for you would be the Tein Basic. Just remember that according to Tein, the highest ride height setting for the Basic is a bit lower than stock, so you might be scraping the bodykit a few more times than with stock springs.

A cheap ghetto solution would be to install only front Eibach Prokit springs but I would NOT recommend this as you would bottom out more often on what you describe as less than ideal street surfaces. Or you could get rear Koni Yellows only, however there's a chance that this might not alleviate the sagging to your liking because compression is fixed.

So if you have the cash, go with the Tein Basic.

2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX RS (300whp/298wtq)
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R (sold 7/26/07)
Central Carolina SCCA (Autox for NC/SC)
Dangling Fury is offline  
post #48 of 178 Old 08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
(HK)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevlynSyde
If you are running 250-300 pounds in your gear and only in the 601+ class, please post a thread in the audio forum with pics and a list of your gear for us audio minded people
As soon as I can I will post the PICs in your Audio Section

2003 IASCA SQ ROOKIE 601+ WORLD CHAMPION
(HK) is offline  
 
post #49 of 178 Old 08-30-2005, 09:34 AM
(HK)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangling Fury
I agree with Daniel, you need adjustable ride height coilovers, the most cost effective solution for you would be the Tein Basic. Just remember that according to Tein, the highest ride height setting for the Basic is a bit lower than stock, so you might be scraping the bodykit a few more times than with stock springs.

A cheap ghetto solution would be to install only front Eibach Prokit springs but I would NOT recommend this as you would bottom out more often on what you describe as less than ideal street surfaces. Or you could get rear Koni Yellows only, however there's a chance that this might not alleviate the sagging to your liking because compression is fixed.

So if you have the cash, go with the Tein Basic.
Thanks to you both, I will probably go with the Tein. I know Tein also makes a 400lb rate spring for the Basic kit do you think I should invest in a higher spring rate also

2003 IASCA SQ ROOKIE 601+ WORLD CHAMPION
(HK) is offline  
post #50 of 178 Old 08-30-2005, 09:44 AM
DevlynSyde
OT Whore
 
DevlynSyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DevlynSyde
I'd prolly increase the rates on the rear, honestly I sold my sub and ported box to scale down after getting coilovers because I could feel the 80lb box in the trunk when driving....


2011 OBP Subaru WRX 5Dr
2007 Laguna Blue S2000
2001 Nissan Sentra SE
DevlynSyde is offline  
post #51 of 178 Old 08-30-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Dangling Fury
Immature Tough Guy
 
Dangling Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 5,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by (HK)
Thanks to you both, I will probably go with the Tein. I know Tein also makes a 400lb rate spring for the Basic kit do you think I should invest in a higher spring rate also
Scott knows much more about the effects of heavy audio equipment on suspension, going with a 392 rear rate probably isn't a bad idea. Wherever you buy these from I would call and check to see if you can get higher rates instead of the 336 that it comes with.

2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX RS (300whp/298wtq)
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R (sold 7/26/07)
Central Carolina SCCA (Autox for NC/SC)
Dangling Fury is offline  
post #52 of 178 Old 08-31-2005, 08:54 AM
fluid1
Sentra God
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Red X, bish
Posts: 12,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to fluid1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangling Fury
Scott knows much more about the effects of heavy audio equipment on suspension, going with a 392 rear rate probably isn't a bad idea. Wherever you buy these from I would call and check to see if you can get higher rates instead of the 336 that it comes with.
Heavy subwoofer + stiffer springs = bouncynuts!
fluid1 is offline  
post #53 of 178 Old 08-31-2005, 09:11 AM
DevlynSyde
OT Whore
 
DevlynSyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DevlynSyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid1
Heavy subwoofer + stiffer springs = bouncynuts!
Just the way I like 'em! God I love the car now that I dumped that anchor back there


2011 OBP Subaru WRX 5Dr
2007 Laguna Blue S2000
2001 Nissan Sentra SE
DevlynSyde is offline  
post #54 of 178 Old 08-31-2005, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Dangling Fury
Immature Tough Guy
 
Dangling Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 5,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevlynSyde
Just the way I like 'em! God I love the car now that I dumped that anchor back there
Weight reduction is your friend

Gut the trunk, no liner, no carpet, just bare metal. Then get a $49 motorcycle battery from Walmart (Everstart ES9-BS) that weighs only 9lbs. If you're still feeling crazy take the glove box out, floor mats, etc. Now the car accelerates, brakes and handles much better.

2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX RS (300whp/298wtq)
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R (sold 7/26/07)
Central Carolina SCCA (Autox for NC/SC)
Dangling Fury is offline  
post #55 of 178 Old 08-31-2005, 09:39 AM
(HK)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangling Fury
Weight reduction is your friend

Gut the trunk, no liner, no carpet, just bare metal. Then get a $49 motorcycle battery from Walmart (Everstart ES9-BS) that weighs only 9lbs. If you're still feeling crazy take the glove box out, floor mats, etc. Now the car accelerates, brakes and handles much better.
Once the season finishes (IASCA) she will be gutted or sold....whichever comes first

2003 IASCA SQ ROOKIE 601+ WORLD CHAMPION
(HK) is offline  
post #56 of 178 Old 08-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Sunburst03
Endless USA S13 Silvia
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: On the right side
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Sunburst03
also be sure that when ordering the Basics that the shop doesn't just order a set of replacement 392 lbs springs w/o having the rear dampers valved accordingly. Although, and don't quote me on this, I think I saw somewhere online that the dampers are actually valved to support spring rates that are higher than the spring rates that originally come on their coilovers. Either way it still doesn't hurt to double check

Late,
Daniel

1992 S13 Silvia (RB25DET ), 1995 ECR33 Skyline *sold* (will be missed), 2003 Spec V *sold* (won't be missed)

Sunburst03 is offline  
post #57 of 178 Old 08-31-2005, 11:55 AM
cortrim1
Boost Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Down South
Posts: 3,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I believe that the tein basic's come maxed out with the 336lb springs. So they would need to be revalved to take the 392lb springs. I know the ss coilovers will go +/- 2kg on the springs but am not sure the basic's are the same.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/cortrim1
www.southern-shift.com
94 se-r 300whp flat black terror
92 se-r Sr20VE powered DD
cortrim1 is offline  
post #58 of 178 Old 08-31-2005, 12:05 PM
(HK)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortrim1
I believe that the tein basic's come maxed out with the 336lb springs. So they would need to be revalved to take the 392lb springs. I know the ss coilovers will go +/- 2kg on the springs but am not sure the basic's are the same.
Spoke with TEIN today and the 8kg or 440lb spring will not require revalving. One less thing to worry about

2003 IASCA SQ ROOKIE 601+ WORLD CHAMPION
(HK) is offline  
post #59 of 178 Old 08-31-2005, 03:37 PM
fluid1
Sentra God
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Red X, bish
Posts: 12,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to fluid1
Quote:
Originally Posted by (HK)
Spoke with TEIN today and the 8kg or 440lb spring will not require revalving. One less thing to worry about
Unless you're racing, don't do it.

While they may not need immediate revalving, they surely will pretty quickly.
fluid1 is offline  
post #60 of 178 Old 09-02-2005, 03:48 AM
BlackNight
...Afraid to Lose Control
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Muncie/Elkhart, IN
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question about swapping stock springs and struts.

If I were to go from my current stock suspension (01 GXE) to an 02-03 Spec-V stock suspension... what differences would I notice? Would the car be any "lower" in terms of height or would I just get the stiffer rates??

2001 BlackOut GXE
Modifications (INCLUDING cosmetic):PR CAI, Stock FSTB, OEM Fogs, OEM Spoiler, Nismo LTB (waiting to be installed)
Pioneer DEH-P3600, Pioneer 6.5" 4-Ways.
Next on the list:HKS Sport Catback Exhaust OR KSport Coilovers
"Never drive faster then your guardian angel can fly."
BlackNight is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome