what kind of antifreeze/coolant do you use? - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 06-14-2002, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Datsun
no more wankle!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question what kind of antifreeze/coolant do you use?

just a question, but how many ppl here still use nissan antifreeze/coolant, or what kind of different coolants do ppl use?

2001 Sentra SE
PRI CAI
Stillen Headers
Stromung Exhaust
V tec in a bottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-14-2002, 05:16 PM
NismoRacing583

Send a message via AIM to NismoRacing583 Send a message via Yahoo to NismoRacing583
Prestone here......

Bren
post #3 of 11 Old 06-15-2002, 02:14 AM
Se-R-Vspec

nissan factory coolant!

post #4 of 11 Old 06-15-2002, 05:57 AM
adc100
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Unless you are going with the Dex cool...

I think antifreeze (Ethylene Glycol is pretty much the same.) Prestone might have some extra corrosion additives in though. I would recommend you put a can of the reqular water pump lubricant made by Gunk and Prestone (Not the $4 rip-off version by Preston but the round $1.59 variety. I have never had a waterpump failure since using it in 35 years.

I need to figure out a new signature.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-17-2002, 12:06 AM
pio!pio!

Send a message via AIM to pio!pio!
so is antifreeze and coolant basically the same thing? To me they seem fundamentally different
post #6 of 11 Old 06-17-2002, 08:12 AM
specsilver
Proud New Papa

Quote:
Originally posted by pio!pio!
so is antifreeze and coolant basically the same thing? To me they seem fundamentally different
People seem to use these words interchangeably. The reason being is that antifreeze/coolant has a high boiling point, much higher than water. So in the summer it will take much more heat than water alone and in the winter it will not freeze like water. If you look on the Prestone web site they call it “Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant”
post #7 of 11 Old 06-18-2002, 11:37 AM
meade18

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by specsilver

People seem to use these words interchangeably. The reason being is that antifreeze/coolant has a high boiling point, much higher than water. So in the summer it will take much more heat than water alone and in the winter it will not freeze like water.
This is 100% percent incorrect.

"Ethylene Glycol, which makes up 96 percent of whats in the bottle (of antifreeze), has about half the heat-transfer capability of plain water. So when you mix antifreeze and water in the recommended 50-50 proportions, you give up a quarter of your system's cooling capacity."
I took this word for word from Patrick Bedard's column in this month's (July) Car and Driver.

You would think that circulating plain water in your system would be more effiecient (most NASCAR racers do this), but the antifreeze also protects the engine from corrosion (rust). So 100% water is not a good idea.

I don't know much about coolant, but I do know not to shoot my mouth off without knowing what I'm talking about (specsilver). I have learned a lot more about coolant just reading Patrick Bedard's past two columns on coolant, so if anyone it really interested in coolant, check out the June and July issues of C&D.

Sorry for the long post.

-meade18
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
post #8 of 11 Old 06-18-2002, 12:42 PM
specsilver
Proud New Papa

Quote:
Originally posted by meade18

This is 100% percent incorrect.

"Ethylene Glycol, which makes up 96 percent of whats in the bottle (of antifreeze), has about half the heat-transfer capability of plain water.

I don't know much about coolant, but I do know not to shoot my mouth off without knowing what I'm talking about (specsilver).
Second post and you're already making friends. You need to read a little bit better. I was not talking about heat transfer, I was talking about boiling points.
"The fluid that most cars use is a mixture of water and ethylene glycol (C2H6O2), also known as antifreeze. By adding ethylene glycol to water, the boiling and freezing points are improved significantly."

Pure Water has a boiling point of 100 C / 212 F
50 C2H6O2 /50 mix has a boiling point of 106 C / 223 F
70 C2H6O2 /30 mix has a boling point of 113 C / 235 F

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system2.htm
post #9 of 11 Old 06-19-2002, 02:03 AM
meade18

Yeah, I guess I'm not getting off to a good start bashing someone like that. Sorry. My fault.

-meade18
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
post #10 of 11 Old 06-19-2002, 06:57 AM
adc100
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
One other thing..

As was stated, even though pure water can carry away more heat it really won't cool your vehicle a lot better without putting on a larger radiator. This is because iven though it takes heat away better, the radiator has to reject that same amount of heat. So don't expect your vehicle to automatically run cooler with the water. It may-but it may not (depending on the relative size and efficiency of the radiator. Now since there are 2 cooling fans-its possible on second thought. Also at 17 pounds radiator pressure the water wont boil off until 253 degrees F.

I need to figure out a new signature.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-19-2002, 07:25 AM
specsilver
Proud New Papa

Quote:
Originally posted by meade18
Yeah, I guess I'm not getting off to a good start bashing someone like that. Sorry. My fault.
No prob man. We are all here cause we love cars and want to learn more about them !

Cheers !!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: