those with heat shield rattle - Page 2 - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
post #16 of 24 Old 04-26-2005, 07:54 PM
LASE-R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the main purpose of the down pipe heatshield is to prevent fire in tall grass caused by the exhaust. It also protects the underside of the car from heat. This is why I have not removed it yet but my car sounds like a lawnmower when it is cold. Its better once it has warmed up.

2003 SE-R 5 - 6 spd swap, I/H/E/P/SS/MM/KS/TBB, '03 Spec V tranny, Eibach Pro-kit springs, Koni Sport struts/shocks, Techna-fit SS brake/clutch lines, Centerline Storm 17x7 Sumitomo HTRZ II 225/45/17.
Nissan Potato SE-R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 12:25 AM
OVOleg
powershifting through 6th

thread revival from the death!! Does anyone know how to fix this rattle??

2004 Nissan Sentra Spec V Silver, w/ 03 front end conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodeB15
most people from ages of 16-20 should be put into Concentration Camps .
post #18 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Frodo
What U Brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVOleg View Post
thread revival from the death!! Does anyone know how to fix this rattle??
You can remove it or shim it up. I used some leftover rubber fuel hose that I crammed in between the underbody and heat shield. This worked for me.

Beer.............

post #19 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 PM
OVOleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
You can remove it or shim it up. I used some leftover rubber fuel hose that I crammed in between the underbody and heat shield. This worked for me.
is this on the downtube right before the 2nd cat or is this in the engine bay? can you tell me from this pic what exactly you used rubber fuel hose between?

Quote:
post #20 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM
chiquae07
Informed Lurker

Send a message via AIM to chiquae07
the heat shield off the header always drove me crazy. i just bent it and it stopped rattling. then again i had solid steel mounts in an auto.

most likely the bolts made their way out. just replace those, and be done with it.

Suck up a kitten
Eat a butterfly
Replace with WRX

2001 Granite Sentra Se wit PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by txspeccer View Post
Slow car races are exciting. For those 19 seconds until you hit 80 mph, nothing else matters.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 PM
OVOleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquae07 View Post
the heat shield off the header always drove me crazy. i just bent it and it stopped rattling. then again i had solid steel mounts in an auto.

most likely the bolts made their way out. just replace those, and be done with it.
is it the bolts in the 2nd picture labeled #3? Why replace the bolts? They're pretty tight on my car I just checked recently.

Quote:
post #22 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Frodo
What U Brewing

I put a full header/exhaust on when I got the car so nothing in the engine bay to rattle. My noise came from the heat shield attached to the car under where second cat was and the shield by the muffler. When you first start the car and with you door open is the noise coming from under the car or the engine bay? If itís under the car itís probably the shield above the 2nd cat that is not shown in the pics. Just get under the car and shim up any aluminum pieces of metal that is above the exhaust. Also check that the rear axle beam is not hitting the exhaust pipe by the rear muffler.

Do you have the stock exhaust on? If so are you thinking that itís the part of the pipe where the 2nd O2 sensor connects? I think that area of pipe does have an additional sleeve over it. If so is it damaged or rusted? I would still say itís the piece of metal attached to the under body between the pipe and the car and not the sleeve on the pipe itself unless it is old or damaged. Just get under the car and see what wiggles.

Beer.............
post #23 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
OVOleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I put a full header/exhaust on when I got the car so nothing in the engine bay to rattle. My noise came from the heat shield attached to the car under where second cat was and the shield by the muffler. When you first start the car and with you door open is the noise coming from under the car or the engine bay? If itís under the car itís probably the shield above the 2nd cat that is not shown in the pics. Just get under the car and shim up any aluminum pieces of metal that is above the exhaust. Also check that the rear axle beam is not hitting the exhaust pipe by the rear muffler.

Do you have the stock exhaust on? If so are you thinking that itís the part of the pipe where the 2nd O2 sensor connects? I think that area of pipe does have an additional sleeve over it. If so is it damaged or rusted? I would still say itís the piece of metal attached to the under body between the pipe and the car and not the sleeve on the pipe itself unless it is old or damaged. Just get under the car and see what wiggles.
Will do great tips thanks man. I already removed the one near the muffler(I didnt want to but one of the bolts fell off when I was unscrewing it.

The sound defintely sounds like its under the car and not from the engine bay. I put my head right near the heat shield around the precat and I couldnt hear anything. Then I put my head right near the main cat below the car and i heard the rattle. When I push on the exhaust pipe with my foot the rattle stops. Da hell broskis

I dont see it actually touching anything but I am going to get under the car like you said and check this sucker out.

Quote:
post #24 of 24 Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Frodo
What U Brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVOleg View Post
Will do great tips thanks man. I already removed the one near the muffler(I didnt want to but one of the bolts fell off when I was unscrewing it.

The sound defintely sounds like its under the car and not from the engine bay. I put my head right near the heat shield around the precat and I couldnt hear anything. Then I put my head right near the main cat below the car and i heard the rattle. When I push on the exhaust pipe with my foot the rattle stops. Da hell broskis

I dont see it actually touching anything but I am going to get under the car like you said and check this sucker out.
Nothing was ever touching on mine wither itís just at a certain RPM the vibrations would hit a note that would cause the rattle. After searching for about Ĺ a year over and over trying to pinpoint the cause I finally jacked the car up on all 4's and had the wife start and rev the car while I was under it until I found the spot. After that I just tried to secure anything and everything that could vibrate close to the exhaust.

Beer.............

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: