P0420 code but car runs fine..WTF?? - Page 2 - Nissan Sentra Forum - B15, B16 and B17 Sentra Forums

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
post #16 of 22 Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 PM
6th-speed
SOPHROSYNE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVOleg View Post
I'm at 77k no powertrain warranty but I'd the precat causes engine damage then I'm good.

I'm not sure what to do. Is it likely that the code will come back soon an I should drive it then take it to the dealer?

I notice no oil consumption...yet
WOW,you might be for a fight of your life then,if you don't have power train warranty this absolutely will complicate things beyond your imagination.
I've fought Nissan and won but it took time,I can first hand tell you that you will deal with scumbags so difficult they will use every possible trick in the book not to pay for that engine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Cold facts about my NISSAN:Brakes lived for 63K miles ,engine replaced @ 62K miles
No respect or love for Nissan and QR25 from me.
Currently a happy owner of 2008 Honda Accord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 PM
thesammy

Garage
So you have no power train warranty, but your under warranty until 80k?

Listen, if your engine is still covered under whatever warranty you have, drive that car hard for a couple of days. The SES light HAS to come back with the code at some point. I don't get why it's taking so long, but sometimes the ECU tries to correct its self until it figures out there is a problem.

Once the code is back, take it to the dealer.
post #18 of 22 Old 11-18-2009, 10:10 PM
6th-speed
SOPHROSYNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesammy View Post

Listen, if your engine is still covered under whatever warranty you have, drive that car hard for a couple of days. The SES light HAS to come back with the code at some point. I don't get why it's taking so long, but sometimes the ECU tries to correct its self until it figures out there is a problem.

He has NO POWER TRAIN WARRANTY !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Cold facts about my NISSAN:Brakes lived for 63K miles ,engine replaced @ 62K miles
No respect or love for Nissan and QR25 from me.
Currently a happy owner of 2008 Honda Accord.

post #19 of 22 Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
OVOleg
powershifting through 6th

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

The warranty is just for the catalytic converter...so if that Shiite fails and wrecks the engine then they have to cover it. Exactly what the guy told me and I asked him 3 times.

I'll just drive it and if it doesn't come back I'll try to take it off on the weekend

2004 Nissan Sentra Spec V Silver, w/ 03 front end conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodeB15
most people from ages of 16-20 should be put into Concentration Camps .
post #20 of 22 Old 11-18-2009, 10:19 PM
thesammy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVOleg View Post
The warranty is just for the catalytic converter...so if that Shiite fails and wrecks the engine then they have to cover it. Exactly what the guy told me and I asked him 3 times.

I'll just drive it and if it doesn't come back I'll try to take it off on the weekend
You're right. I believe all cats have a warranty of 80k. Well I would drive the car with the header until warranty is over. If the code comes back, great, take it. If it doesn't, change the header after 80K.
post #21 of 22 Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 PM
speedjunkie

Send a message via AIM to speedjunkie Send a message via Yahoo to speedjunkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcAtArkon View Post
If you have the option, stop driving it asap. Pull the exhaust manifold and check for wear. Might give you an idea on where to go from there.

If you have to drive it, try to avoid decelerating in gear. My understanding is that when you from accelerate to decelerate, that's when you get the most chance of sucking pieces back up. I may be wrong though. Also, if you can avoid getting on it, which heats up the cat material, speeding up the break down process.

OR, you just have a faulty 02 sensor. I had one at 65K. Hope for the best man.
Quote:
I don't believe a faulty o2 sensor will cause this code. It usually means it's working good. Lol.

But yeah, def avoid high RPM's if you have to drive. You shouldn't need to go over 3k RPM for any reason.

p0420 is catalyst efficieny below threshold...basically in lamen terms the downstream o2 sensor is sensing that the catalyst is not effectivly filtering out all the bad stuff, which could be caused by a bad o2 sensor...OP Personally, I would change the rear o2 sensor first before I start thinking about the precat breaking apart.

On a quest to prove everyone wrong on what they think they know about the QG18DE
Brand Spanking New Forum For Sentra GXE, XE, and 1.8S Owners just search google for qg18de and come join our forum
post #22 of 22 Old 11-19-2009, 02:14 PM
thesammy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
p0420 is catalyst efficieny below threshold...basically in lamen terms the downstream o2 sensor is sensing that the catalyst is not effectivly filtering out all the bad stuff, which could be caused by a bad o2 sensor...OP Personally, I would change the rear o2 sensor first before I start thinking about the precat breaking apart.
Dumb idea since the o2 sensor is still working and the pre-cat is already breaking apart. lol

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: