B15 Sentra Forum banner

Auto Transmission Sift Lock Not unlocking

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jcrow 
#1 · (Edited)
Auto Transmission Shift Lock Not Unlocking

03 Auto GXE 58,500 Miles (yes this post is a long one, sorry)

The problem:
Start car and press the brake in then attempt to shift the auto transmission into gear. The shifter doesn’t move!

Has anybody had this problem before? I have searched and didn’t find anything on this topic. So that is mainly why I am posting this.

I know how to manually unlock it so I can still get around. (For those who don’t know how to do it look in the Owners Manuel) The break lights work so I know the break switch is good. So I pulled out the fsm and start looking around for the A/T shift lock system. I found it and start going threw the troubleshooting steeps. (page AT-251)

Step 1
Check key interlock cable for damage.
-ok not damage

Step 2
Check selector lever position for damage
- ok not damage

Step 3
Check power source at stop light switch
- ok the break lights light up so I am not going to craw under the dash

Step 4
Check input signal @ the “A/T Device” (shifter)
- should be 12vdc when the brake pedal is pressed. wait…. I am getting no power…. But the stop light switch is working………d@m another sentra with wiring problems.

(Going threw the procedures in this step it says you should get 0vdc when you have the pedal depressed and 12 vdc when released BUT looking at the schematics in the fsm you should get 12vdc when you depress the pedal and 0 vdc when released) But in both cases I am not getting any volts dc. I have not checked the resistance on the cable yet because I believe I have to remove the break lights to get a good reading.

That is as far as I am going to go. Why? Because I have extended warranty (not threw Nissan) so it will cover the electrical system and I want to get what I paid for. I have an appointment on Friday @ Nissan to look at this problem and want to see how long it takes them to find it out. It took me about 15 minutes from pulling the book out and reading it to inserting the last trim piece back into place. For me this was an easy problem to find because I am an electrician in the navy. So if I was going to fix it I would run a new wire from the stop switch to the terminal 7 on the “A/T device” If someone down the road has this problem I hope this helps. :) I’ll post back when the car gets fixed.

See less See more
#2 ·
jcrow said:
The sifter doesn’t move! Has anybody had this problem before?
this happened on my sister-in-law's '95 Chev Cavalier.. iirc brake hit a switch, activating solenoid at console shifter.
I opened up console and unplugged solenoid.. maybe i removed it.. maybe i cut the locking mechanism, don remember. Fixed.

Doesn't sound like you tested the solenoid itself? when energized it should move.

#4 ·
I thought I posted that it got fixed. Well sort of. The day I had the appointment at the dealer the car fix it self. I know that it was the wring because my speakers were loosing signal from the headunit. I just blame it on my wife for hitting pot holes. @ 9,000 she already broke the front right strut. Warranty coved it.

So, you have the same problem and you are not under any warranty, right? Do you have a multi-meter? If you do I can help you track down the problem. The first thing to check is to make sure you do have brake lights in the back.

#5 ·
shift lock

Thanks for the quick reply. I bought the car used and has already more than 100k miles on it. I do not think it has any warranty. I did not do the tests you mentioned. I can borrow a multimeter.

I opened the console. I think there is a problem with the solenoid.

I will do the tests and let you know.

Thank you again.

#6 ·
Okay, I have this problem too. Interestingly, it seems like if I press and hold the brake pedal down, eventually the interlock will engage and allow me to shift out of PARK. Does this mean I have a bad solenoid or perhaps is it time to replace my battery? I am still running on my original battery and my car is a 2002.

#7 ·
Jeremy_ESQ said:
Okay, I have this problem too. Interestingly, it seems like if I press and hold the brake pedal down, eventually the interlock will engage and allow me to shift out of PARK. Does this mean I have a bad solenoid or perhaps is it time to replace my battery? I am still running on my original battery and my car is a 2002.
did you possibily change the bulb in it to illuminate up the letters? if so, you might have moved the linkage just enough to make it be a p.i.t.a.. thats what i did, and i ended up making it so i can shift it out of park when the keys arent in it or the brake is pushed down.

#8 ·
No, I have not changed the bulb (it died awhile ago but I figured I could live without it). Having never opened the shift console before, would it be possible that the linkage may have gotten displaced over time from the car going over its fair share of bumps & potholes?

Like I said, the interlock still disengages, but is very slow to do so. Almost 90% of the time, it does not disengage within a second of the brake pedal being pressed (like it is supposed to). I normally have to press and hold the pedal for maybe 5-10 seconds, then I will be able to successfully press the shift button on the lever.

#9 ·
Hate to revive a thread this old, but does anyone know the part number for the the shift interlock solenoid? I'm pretty sure that is what is wrong with my wife's car as of this morning, and all my searches indicate this is an inexpensive (~$40) part, but no one lists a part number and I can't find anything on autozone/advance/etc websites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.