B15 Sentra Forum banner

exhaust louder if i remove resonator?

9K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Sentra-volution 
#1 ·
sup guys...i was wondering, if i had the resonator removed from my exhaust, how much louder would it get?? would the thermal still sound nice and deep but louder, or will it sound ricey loud?? i am still debating whether i want to do this or not. anyone know how much it costs?? like less than $100 from like meineke or something??

#2 ·
yes it will make your exhaust louder. I have a custom 2" catback system on my gxe with a header and cai. when i removed my exhaust resonator so i could weld on my o2 sensor bungs it made it ricey loud. I hate it. I will get it fixed one day.

Matt

#3 ·
i would steer away from doing that, definately if you want to get a header in the future.

#4 ·
stromung w/ resonator = way better sound ???

Is there a photos or something I could look at it to find out what's the O2s you talking about?? I'm more visual hehehe

Yeah did my search for this too but can't find any diagram\\thanks guys

#5 ·
yes it is. i have a magnaflow exhaust,so its not too loud without the res. i dont recommed it though. its give a deep tone. but in nt way can u say its too loud, well aleast not for me. from outside, its badass. if u have muffler thats known to be a quiet muffler like magnaflow then do for it,but only with u dont have headers

#6 ·
I bought my stromung catback with 22-24 inch resonator, and I kid you not, the CAI is louder than my exhaust is. I'm well aware when I get my header, it'll bump it up a tad, but for now.. I like it.. lowkey keeps everything cool.

#7 ·
the resonator helps give you that deep tone. why would you want to remove it? you dont want an annoying car like a honda, do ya?

#13 ·
JimizSpecV said:
the resonator helps give you that deep tone. why would you want to remove it? you dont want an annoying car like a honda, do ya?
I've got a custom 2.25" catback exhaust without a resonator, now it sounds really sweet, not ricey. It is loud, but has a very deep tone. But I am going to get a resonator put on because it attracts way too much attention from the cops. Its great for the track, but for streetdriving its too loud, unless you like getting harassed the police.

#15 ·
I did'nt know the resonator was really helping noise reduction... In fact, some cars come stock with NO RESONATOR at all. I guess this is how the hole exhaust is tuned from the factory...

#16 ·
angel2167882 said:
I did'nt know the resonator was really helping noise reduction... In fact, some cars come stock with NO RESONATOR at all. I guess this is how the hole exhaust is tuned from the factory...
Bingo!!!

#18 ·
tito19 said:
sont resonators restrict air flow though?
That can be a good thing, to much airflow can kill your TQ

#20 ·
JimizSpecV said:
I have my resonator removed no header and a dynomax straight through muffler...not loud at all..it has a deep tone really only hear it when accelerating or engine braking. At cruizin speeds not really noticable.

#21 ·
I have stock exhaust piping with a stainless steel MUFF and I removed the resonator, its much better, it does NOT sound like a HONDUH police attention grabber. I has a nice deep growl and deep tone rumble, it does not sound like one of those FARTs!

i also have intake , no header,

If you plan on getting a header, do NOT remove the resonator,

I paid 15 bucks to take my resonator off and replace the space with a stainless steel pipe!

I love the sound!

#23 ·
The resonators on our car, are straight through design. No restriction there other than the fact it matches stock pipe size. You can get bottle style resonators that are straight through and larger to match your pipe size. Just make sure they aren't louvered, as that introduces turbulence. You want a perforated style.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.