B15 Sentra Forum banner

2001 Sentra SE ABS Light Coming On

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  FunkinsDesigns 
#1 ·
First off let me say thank you to anyone who responds, I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me over the years.

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra SE which started throwing the ABS light this morning on my drive to work.

I was driving on the highway in some stop and go traffic and noticed the light (it could have been on for a bit at that point in time and I didn't notice though). I continued to drive not noticing any difference in braking ability (not braking enough to actually lock up the wheels though), but was concerned so after a while I shut the car off and let it coast for a bit. I turned the key to the on position and let the car do it's sensor check for about a minute or so, waiting until things looked normal and then turning on the car. For the rest of the trip to work (about 20 minutes), things were fine and I didn't see the light again.

I finished work and started up the car for the drive home and about half way home (I only live 10 minutes away), I noticed the light on again so I repeated the steps from earlier (shutting off the car and letting it coast, turning it on and letting the sensors do it's check and then starting it up again), and the light didn't come back on (I was about 2 minutes away from home at this point in time).

I don't have an ODBII scanner to check so I can't see what, if any, codes the car is throwing at this point in time but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what could be wrong? Could it just be something wrong with the sensor? Something actually wrong with the brakes or braking system on the car?

I did have an issue in mid-February with the brakes on the car and took it back to the garage that did the work and was told that the sliders were the problem so they took them off, cleaned everything up, re-applied and I can see they put some goop in there as well. Could this potentially be causing whatever the problem is?

Again, thank you all in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!

See less See more
#4 ·
Ok, surprise surprise, I spoke to soon.

I'm leaving work and turn the key to the on position and let it do it's checks (the lights turning on and then shutting off), but the ABS light stays on. I decide to start driving anyways to see if it turns off itself and it stays on for the next 6 minutes or so. While waiting at a light I turn the car off, leaving it off for a minute or so and turn it on, waiting for it to do it's checks and start the car and surprise, the light doesn't turn on.

I'm thinking it must be a sensor somewhere but who knows where?!

If I do get a chance I'm going to top up the brake fluid in the car to see if that makes a difference at all but I don't expect it to since it's still well within the operating range.

Any other ideas or any ideas whether or not an ODBII scanner would actually pick up what's wrong or would that just check the codes the car would throw if the check engine light was on?

#5 ·
obdII wouldn't find anything because the CEL isnt on... you would need a consult(Nissan God Tool) to find out, but more than likely if everything is golden on the fluid level, i would think it might have something to do with the actual ABS Module... do you have a 5 speed standard or 4 speed auto? cause i know the abs light comes on when the clutch fluid is low too.

#6 ·
Mine is a 5 speed.

On my lunch break today I went out and picked up some fluid and added a little Dot 3 to the Clutch reservoir (a little too much now actually since it's over the Max line and completely full when the cap is on) and a little to the Brake reservoir (it's a little over the Max line now).

I'll go and take a look at it again when I get home from work tonight to see and maybe take it for another drive to see if I can get the light to come on. Driving to work this morning for 45 minutes the light didn't come on at all but just now when I went out for lunch the light was on right away when I started the car, when I turned it off again and then turned it on, letting it do it's checks the light didn't come back on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.