B15 Sentra Forum banner

2002 Nissan Sentra Gxe 1.8l Fuel Pump

33K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  GREEN01GXE 
#1 ·
HELLO:
i just bought this used nissan and for the last 3 months i've unfortunately learned the hard way not to run to empty on gas. I just started to get slight bucking back & forth and finally a few days later with 1/2 tank gas, the car was hesitating and finally conked out.

Most likely, its the fuel pump. Can I replace it myself by simply taking down the gas tank
and replacing the unit?

How is difficult to take down the tank.. i've done it on my 1992 gms rally van 3500 (1 ton)
but the components and room is of course much larger and easier to work with.

thank you for your help in advance.

Robert

#3 ·
i appreciate the information.

I have my car in the garage and I need to replace it right away , so I'll go to the nearest
parts store if they have it.

If I have problems getting it I will contact you, but I'm pretty sure some one around here
will have one.

thanks a whole lot.

god bless

#6 ·
8 year/ 80k miles.... IIRC

My Cat got replaced under the emissions warranty when I was at 67000...

#8 ·
fuel pump and fuel filter location

Hi everyone
I have a 02 specv-ser and car jst stopped..I was told its the fuel pump and filter I've never changed out...can anyone tell me if I have to drop the tank to get to both and am i gonna need any special tools..once had a ford van and couldnt replce due to I need a special tool to take off...would appreciate anything please...and thanks in advance
george

#10 ·
If you really ran it OUT of gas...it could be your fuel pump or your fuel injectors. I had an injector weld itself closed one time because i was trying to hobble to a gas station. But yeah, the gasoline is also used somewhat to cool the fuel pump, and when there is no fuel...it heats up and seizes.

#12 · (Edited)
ahon03 said:
Hi Everyone- I am looking for a fuel pump for my sentra it is a 2002 gxe 1.4 L. Anyone have one for sale?

Thanks
http://www.car-part.com you also might want to double check what size engine you have. if you bought your car in the US then you probably have a 1.8l

#14 ·
One other thing....i have heard recently that you should not run your car down to less than 1/4 tank. The logic here is this: If there is any sand/gunk in your gas tank....it will rest on the bottom. If YOU DO have this stuff in your tank...and you run it down to empty, it will suck in this crap and screw your injectors. Just a thought guys.

But yeah, this thread is different than most! Hahaaa. That's alright...the 1.8 guys are trying to self diagnose their fuel problems. And it sounds like the fuel pump is easy enough to change-out...so there you go guys!

#15 ·
umm that's why we have fuel filters... and if you do have this crap in your tank you need to have it drained and cleaned out, not just avoid going below 1/4 tank... and like most people if you drive your car everyday it wouldn't really just settle to the bottom, it would stay in suspension due to the gas sloshing around in the tank while your driving. lastly injectors are cheap and easy to replace, so having them go bad is hardly the end of the world

#16 ·
IcedC said:
umm that's why we have fuel filters... and if you do have this crap in your tank you need to have it drained and cleaned out, not just avoid going below 1/4 tank... and like most people if you drive your car everyday it wouldn't really just settle to the bottom, it would stay in suspension due to the gas sloshing around in the tank while your driving. lastly injectors are cheap and easy to replace, so having them go bad is hardly the end of the world
Agreed....but that is what i have heard SEVERAL mechanics tell me. They say that a lot of this gas has funk in it...and it is very easy for some of that to get into your gas tank. Now that i think about it...i think i saw a small news story on the same thing, here in phoenix, saying the same thing.

Now i agree...if you have this stuff in your tank...drop the tank and drain it. But truthfully...most people on here don't know where the FUEL PUMP is...i seriously doubt they are going to undertake dropping and draining the fuel tank.

#20 ·
Black B15 said:
One other thing....i have heard recently that you should not run your car down to less than 1/4 tank. The logic here is this: If there is any sand/gunk in your gas tank....it will rest on the bottom.
This is a popular hold-over concept from the "ol days" when gas tanks were uncoated metal with a funneled bottom pump pickup and fuel from the gas station was often unfiltered. These days its not a reality, though there are other reasons to avoid running completely out (welding an injector, seizing the pump).

If some particulate somehow did find it's way into the fuel tank, our crappy "filter" probably wouldn't save you. Its just a mesh sock, not a real filter at all. Thats why I installed a real filter on the fuel line over by the firewall/brake booster before it even gets to the rail. I would recommend this to everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.