B15 Sentra Forum banner

Cant tighten battery terminal cable to post

25K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  Frodo 
#1 ·
I keep having a problem with my negative battery terminal. No matter what I do I can to tighten the cable to get a tight fit. Can you but lead sleeves or something to go over the terminal post? I get power to my car and can run the radio, lights and everything but it wont start unless you get out and giggle the cable! I heard that you can replace the post but this is a OEM battery and I don't see anything that looks like it unscrews or comes off.

#2 ·
Can't you just use some large pliers to "adjust" the post? The negative terminal & the foot of wire that attaches it to the body are cheap to replace if you break it.

#4 ·
Frodo said:
To adjust do you mean squeeze or smash the post to deform it?
i think that is what he is talking about.

you can always go get some new posts at napa or autozone and its like 4 bucks for the pair. if you ask them if you can have a couple tools to do this really quick, most will let you do it right there.

#6 ·
I had the SAME problem. My negative terminal was fully tightened, but not 100% making contact with the post. somtimes it would refuse to start after sitting over night, i would have to shake the terminal a few times and it would start right up.

orangelloSE-R said:
Can't you just use some large pliers to "adjust" the post? The negative terminal & the foot of wire that attaches it to the body are cheap to replace if you break it.
Two words: Vice Grips.

put the terminal on the post, tighten fully. Squeeze the "ring" terminal together with the vice grips, tighten it down some more. pull on it to make sure its snug. done

#9 ·
this crap happens to my positive clamp. robse i'm gonna have to give ur method a try.

#10 ·
Frodo said:
To adjust do you mean squeeze or smash the post to deform it?
Yep, like duder said, make with the vice grips. Honestly, replacing mine didn't take a half hour (+ i cleaned off the metal piece it screws into for a better ground).

#11 ·
Honestly, I just tighten them down as far as they go then I give them a twist and I have no problem with them coming loose. I never have to loosen my terminal's when removing my battery because I just twist them the opposite way and they come loose. I do have to agree with Leusent about the proper solution.

#12 ·
Leusent said:
The correct solution to this problem is to replace your terminal clamps, as they're obviously worn out.
Craig
+1. Easy, cheap, and better quality for 100% fixed status. The only pain is getting the old one off the wire.

#13 ·
Hooch_SE-R said:
+1. Easy, cheap, and better quality for 100% fixed status. The only pain is getting the old one off the wire.
10 seconds. what pain? its harder to change oil than to change the clamps. the tricky part is getting the wire into the new post without poking the crap out of yourself.

#16 ·
Well it doesn't matter anymore I tried the vise grip idea but should have remembered that it was only 16 degrees. End of story the plastic top of the battery all around the post shattered:-( Then the post sunk 1/8" into the battery and I wasn’t twisting or leaning on it. At least I didn't get the juice in the eyes! So she is sitting in the garage and I will have to pick up a new battery at lunch. As for replacing the post that is what I wanted to do but I got no replies on how they are removed. But its not a huge loss the battery is 3 years old I would like to have gotten another year out of it but maybe its just time for a red top. Anyone know who has the best prices on Optima's?

#17 ·
Frodo said:
Well it doesn't matter anymore I tried the vise grip idea but should have remembered that it was only 16 degrees. End of story the plastic top of the battery all around the post shattered:-( Then the post sunk 1/8" into the battery and I wasn’t twisting or leaning on it. At least I didn't get the juice in the eyes! So she is sitting in the garage and I will have to pick up a new battery at lunch. As for replacing the post that is what I wanted to do but I got no replies on how they are removed. But its not a huge loss the battery is 3 years old I would like to have gotten another year out of it but maybe its just time for a red top. Anyone know who has the best prices on Optima's?

good thing nothing squirted in ur eyes. that's exactly how i look at it. ride it out then replace it with a redtop.:cool:

#18 ·
16 degrees :eek:, how could you forget that? Sorry about the battery & congrats on still having eyes (safety glasses FTW). Down here, that doesn't happen.

#19 ·
orangelloSE-R said:
16 degrees :eek:, how could you forget that? Sorry about the battery & congrats on still having eyes (safety glasses FTW). Down here, that doesn't happen.

I wasn't even wearing safety glasses! I did this before leaving for work and was in a hurry. It did get all over my jacket how it went everywhere but my eyes I don't know I guess someone just likes me! :D

#21 ·
easy life said:
if u find cheap prices on the optima redtop post up
So far all the local stores I found were $175-210 so it looks like it may end up a Die Hard or Duralast. I have no electronics in my car but my GPS and fuzz buster so $100 for the top of the line Sears or Duralast or $200 for the red. Hmmm how about $100 for the battery and $100 for more beer supplies. ;)

#22 ·
I was going to get an optima but i opted for a duralast GOLD instead... its a really good battery, just not as advanced as the optima. unless you race, run multiple amplifiers, or leave your lights on for long periods of time... you probably dont need it.

#23 ·
This is a good example of what happens when you try to do things the "ghetto" way instead of fixing them the right way the first time. Woulda cost $4 to replace the battery terminal. Glad you didn't get anything in your eyes tho!!

#26 ·
GREEN01GXE said:
plus at least 30 bucks to ship I bet

battery = heavy

plus how do you get your core charge discount?

* $21.18 - FedEx Ground
* $23.73 - UPS Ground
* $54.94 - UPS Three Day Select
* $82.79 - UPS Second Day Air
* $167.28 - UPS Next Day Air

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.