B15 Sentra Forum banner

no heat at an idle

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  daavikes 
#1 ·
Iwas at a traffic light the other day when I noticed some cold air.......I thought my wife had the window open but she didn't.....I put my hand in front of the vent and the air was cold.....my heater was on full heat and it was blowing cold air...I continued down the road and the heat came out.....here is what happens......at idle no heat...on the move no problem..at idle no heat...on the move no problem....can anyone help me about this problem.....

#3 ·
I had that same problem with my truck, an '89 ranger. When I would go, I'd get heat, but when I was stopped, the air would be cold. The problem was fixed when I replaced my water pump, which was seized. I found this out when I had some other work done on my truck. I don't know if that was the root cause, and I really don't know why not having a working water pump didn't ruin my truck, but now I have heat....

#4 ·
In my parent's altima, the same thing was happening. Heat when driving, no heat when idling. I checked the coolant level and it was almost bone dry! I filled it up and no more problems. Might be different in your application, but doesn't hurt to check.

------------------
97 nissan 240 se, stock (for now) except for custom sounds.
01 nissan sentra se/pp, stock (my girl's car).

#5 ·
When you rev your car, the engine gets heats up and you get more heat from your vent. When you stop, your engine cools down and the air gets cooler. I don't know why it would be so drastic, but it's a thought. See if you can recreate it when you want, and then take it to the dealer.

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

#7 ·
I think it might be the thermostat. When you come to a stop the engine is not running hard and the thermostat closes, not allowing any hot water to your heater core. When you speed up the engine gets warmer along with the coolant opening the thermostat. I would first check your coolant level, if that's not it bring it to the dealer. This shouldn't be happening.

------------------
2000 Sentra SE PP Black 5 spd
Just got hit and have to get a new fender!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.