B15 Sentra Forum banner

HOW-TO: Broken Shift Cable Replacement

18K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Bunky211 
#1 ·
This is a how-to for the unfortunate replacement of the shift cable. Mainly broken/snapped because of the B&M short shifter ver: 1. With cables that were bent before the fix-it part were installed.

Step 1: Buy the cable: Part #34413-4z710

Step 2: Jack car up & place on jack stands w/wheel locks (safety!). or use ramps, to drive on to, this is only to get clearance to access the underside of the car.

Step 3: Underneath the car unbolt a small brass plate, with the 2 shift cables running through the center of it. There are two small screws.

Step 4: Remove the mid-section of your CAI, or the filter of a Short-Ram, and unbolt one side of the Strut tower bar. This is only a step to create more room to work inside the engine bay, and to access the cables connected to the tranny-housing.

Step 5: Disconnect the shift cable from inside the vehicle, and also from the engine bay. ( To disconnect from the engine bay, the easiest way I found was to remove the two retainer clips with a long crow bar, and a hammer, to basically tap them off from underneath the car, since the clips push on from the top, but must be push up/pulled up to take them off).

Step 6: Push the shift cable as far foreward underneath the carpet inside the car. (This step may need another person, it would make things quicker.) Have one person under the car pull the cables through while another person pulls the cable's slack from the top of the car.

The cable will look like this when out of the car.

Step 7: Feed the new cable through the engine bay, and have somone push it back through from underneath the car, while somone pulls it through from the inside of the car.

Step 8: Screw the brass plate back in, and reconnect the shifter locations, inside the engine bay, and inside the car. Reconnect the Intake if dissassembled, and bolt the strut tower back in.

**Important note: make sure you mark which cable is to be connected for the reverse function, and which is for the shifting function, so when you install the new cable you can install it to the right place. The cables are slightly differant though, just look at the little rubber slack that each one has.

Hope this helps.. if I left anything out, which I probably did let me know.. It is a real easy install, just something I wish we didn't have todo.

See less See more
#2 ·
thanx man, this is a real big help
i think im gonna go ahead and do this with my friend...
**** paying $125 to the dealer for fixing it....
1 thing..what size sockets will we need?...and besides that, all ill need is a crowbar or hammer to take the cables off, and thats it?

#3 ·
as for sockets i dont remember.. I think either 8mm or 10mm for the 2 screws on the bottom of the car.. I would go check but my car is lowered and I cant get underneath.. U need a 17mm to get the Strut bar bolt loose.. and yeh, a hammer and something long, anything solid and slim, to pry the two retainer clips off.. everything else is held on by little lock-pins.

Goodluck man!.. i paid 86.86 for the cable assembly..

#6 ·
n8innv said:
as for sockets i dont remember.. I think either 8mm or 10mm for the 2 screws on the bottom of the car.. I would go check but my car is lowered and I cant get underneath.. U need a 17mm to get the Strut bar bolt loose.. and yeh, a hammer and something long, anything solid and slim, to pry the two retainer clips off.. everything else is held on by little lock-pins.

Goodluck man!.. i paid 86.86 for the cable assembly..
i paid around the same thing for mine...should get in on wednesday, so i wont have the car until then or thursday.. :(
thanx man

#9 ·
ok, after a couple hours...im 3 quarters done..
getting the one ****er cable off the trans was a PITA for me, cuase the clip was on there tight as hell...took me an hour to get it off....using a few different methods to try might i add...tomorrow, i just have to feed the new cable through and re-attach em.....put the intake and strut bar on and im good to go.....

#10 ·
need help ASAP...the cables that connect to the trans....the bronze end of the cable, the longer one, that gets connected to the top connection, not the one thats lower and to the side right? rather, the cable thats connected on the left side ofthe shifter itself goes to the top portion correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.