B15 Sentra Forum banner

Slow to start

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  GarricksSentra 
#1 ·
So my '04 1.8s is still pretty much brand new. 22K+ miles. But now sometimes it takes a bit to turnover. Quite noticably too I might mention. It's always been a split second to start. Now it sometimes takes 3 or 4 seconds. Is this just the car showing age or a sign of a potential problem? Should be covered by warranty right? If so, a quick diagnostic check at the dealership should do me huh?

#2 ·
i had that prob with my 03 spec. for me i thought it was the battery, then it made a clicking sound from under the dash a couple of times while i was turning ignition on, then about 4 weeks later, it clicked and didnt start. It ended up being my bat terminals.

#4 ·
I had to start doing that too, figured it was due to the nonservicable filter... POS if u ask me, bc ANY filter will, if its filtering, will eventually clog. So with age, 40kmiles for me, the flow had slowed down enoght that i had to let it pressurise b4 startup

#5 ·
Same problem as my 03 GXE. It turns out to be the fuel pump pressure regulator. There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this issue. Look here. http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-052.htm Check your battery voltage and making sure it has good connections if that does not help print out this TSB and take it into the dealer, that if you are under warranty. I don’t know if that is a common problem but lot of people have this issue. Oh yes for some reason the "prime the pump" didn't work for me.

GarricksSentra

When do you have a hard time starting? Cold, hot, or warm engine? Right after you turn the car off or has been sitting for two hours or so? Or even over night?

#6 ·
SpecV_USMC said:
I had to start doing that too, figured it was due to the nonservicable filter... POS if u ask me, bc ANY filter will, if its filtering, will eventually clog. So with age, 40kmiles for me, the flow had slowed down enoght that i had to let it pressurise b4 startup
no its not because of a nonservicable filter. It's because the pump has a bad valve, which causes it to loose pressure when the car is turned off. that is why you need to let the pump prime before trying to start, that way it is pressurized again.
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-052.htm

#9 ·
It is not a recall. It is a TSB (technical service bulletin) and that number is NTB 05-052

NTB = Nissan Technical bulletin.
TSB is the same thing as a NTB

#10 ·
i had problems starting too, turns out it was the fuel pump...they replaced it under warranty. now im gettin over 30mpg highway :) i kid you not!

#12 · (Edited)
Well, a bulletin is way different then a recall.

A recall almost has to do with the safety of you and or the car. (or emissions) A bulletin has to with a common problem that has nothing to do with the safety of you and or the car. It outlines detailed instructions on how to fix the problem. In some case a bulletin is issue when there is a new procedure on how to fix something on the car. So as you can see there are not going to mail each owner of a car if there is a new bulletin. In most cases if your car is out of warranty they will not fix the car for free from a bulletin. www.nissanhelp.com has all the recalls and bulletins for all Nissans. Just take a look at the recalls and TSB’s for the car you will get a better understanding why they don’t contact each owner of the cars.

If everything checks out ok (your battery, loose wires) and it looks like your car is under warranty then you can get this TSB perform on your car. The kicker is to have them “duplicate” the problem. I had a hard time duplicating the problem. On my second time I was there the car started fine and the service guy just looks at me and says yep I know what you are going threw I have a sentra to. So he writes up, car had hard time starting, replace under 3/36 warranty. Well good luck.

#13 ·
1SentraNotEnuff said:
it's the fuel pump. they need to replace the whole thing under a recall. i had that same problem.
The service bulletin does not replace the fuel pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.