B15 Sentra Forum banner

Special Tool for Rear Brake Caliper Piston compression?

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  AZ_2K_SE 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

When removing the brake calipers and replacing rotors & pads, I've seen reference to using a c-clamp for the front caliper to press the piston back in. But for the rear caliper, I've seen reference both here and in the service manual for a special tool that's used to press the rear caliper's piston back in.

What is this tool and can it be bought just about anywhere? Just looking for more detail on this special "tool".

Is getting this tool the ONLY way to get the rear caliper back on? (I just want to know before I take the calipers off the rotors and get stuck on this task at a point-of-no-return state).

Thanks!

#2 ·
actually theytell you you need a special tool b/c the piston doesnt just push back in, you need to turn it counter clockwise (I think) or it to go back into the caliper. You can buy the special tool from auto parts stores usually. relatively cheap, or you can just use a pair of needle nose pliers and twist the piston back in using the tips. the special tool is much easier and much safer. The pliers method is harder and you might make the mistake of ripping the rubber boot if the pliers slip. then you're REALLY screwed.

my advice, just pick up the tool from the parts store.

#4 ·
I did it with the needle nose plyers, and it's was pretty easy, just be careful with the rubber boot like spec-z said
good luck!

#5 ·
I rented one from Checker, but I must have overdone the compressing part as I blew the seal. Now I get to rebuild it. Oh joy.:mad:

As for the dust boot, you definitely don't want to tear that. It keeps water out of the piston cylinder. If water gets in it can rust/corrode it mandating an all new calliper and piston. The cheapest one I've found is $121.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.